E visa entry to Lao and Non-O marriage visa in Savannakhet

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I would have thought a signed copy of your wife's Thai ID card would have sufficed instead of a passport.

A signed copy of the wife's passport is on the official list of required documents but it was not requested when I submitted my application two days ago. 

8 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:
3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I would have thought a signed copy of your wife's Thai ID card would have sufficed instead of a passport.

A signed copy of the wife's passport is on the official list of required documents but it was not requested when I submitted my application two days ago. 

The official list says ONLY a signed Thai passport copy or does it include ID card? Seems bizarre as it assumes that all Thai spouses will have a passport.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

1. E-visa entry into Lao: I had specifically asked about the procedure specifically for entry into Lao at Savannakhet in a thread started on September 26. Ubonjoe replied with information that turned out to be incorrect.

I based some my info on old info since there have very few recent reports of what is required.

The info about the vaccination certificate or a covid 19 test from this popup message on the Lao e visa site.

image.png.c4ebdbe64d708debd79ebc29ad017a1f.png

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I based some my info on old info since there have very few recent reports of what is required.

Now you have a recent report on which to base any further responses. Perhaps you should have made it clear that your information was not up-to-date. Just to be clear, I could find no information regarding e-visa entry into Lao in this forum and that is why I asked. The only real response was from you. As per your information I by-passed the visa office but was quickly turned around and sent back there by a Lao IO who examined my e-visa approval print-out and passport. 

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The info about the vaccination certificate or a covid 19 test from this popup message on the Lao e visa site.

I saw that too and was ready with a vaccine passport. My original question in this forum was asked on behalf of a friend. In any case I was not asked to provide evidence of vaccination or negative test for entry into Lao. 

43 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

You comment that Ubonjoe gave you the wrong info then mention that the ATK test may or may not be required (dont count on it). Maybe the need to get a qr code is a recent change(like the ATK test) that may or may not be required depending on the whim of the officials. 

The two things are separate issues. I could find no information on the procedure for e-visa entry into Lao at Savannakhet and so I asked. Now, ubonjoe has admitted that his response was based on old information but it was given as if it were up to date. Perhaps I should have made it clear that I was looking for up to date information in my original question but I would have thought it would be obvious in the way the original request for information was phrased. Yes, things can change at the drop of a hat but I don't think that the requirement for the QR code label in my passport was done 'at the whim of officials'. This requirement is obviously less whimsical and more procedural in nature. 

34 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

Now you have a recent report on which to base any further responses. Perhaps you should have made it clear that your information was not up-to-date.

Since the border had been closed for a long time it is hard to give up to date info. In the past it was possible to go to arrival immigration at most border crossings into Laos that accept the e visa.

4 hours ago, Andycoops said:

A friend of mine provided only this and a signed copy of the tabien bahn when he last applied pre covid so I guess things have changed.

Not all Thais have passports and if they do until ,10 year ones instead of 5 year are issued its all too easy to find the passport has expired with no time to renew before needed. Surely a valid Thai ID card would be enough? It has been in the past

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The official list says ONLY a signed Thai passport copy or does it include ID card? Seems bizarre as it assumes that all Thai spouses will have a passport.

The official list shows the requirement for both and does not list either as an alternative for the other. The reality was that I was not asked for a copy of my wife's passport when I submitted the documents in support of the application for a visa.

35 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

Yes, seriously. The information he gave was incorrect whichever way you look at it. Clearly, he is not infallible. 

Nobody says he is.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
A inflammatory comment has been removed.

6 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Yes, seriously. The information he gave was incorrect whichever way you look at it. Clearly, he is not infallible. 

I have been a forum member for a long time and I have never heard any member who offers advice being asserted as infallible or claiming to be infallible themselves.

Yes, seriously.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have been a forum member for a long time and I have never heard any member who offers advice being asserted as infallible or claiming to be infallible themselves.

Good for you. If you have been a member for a long time then you will understand how the forum operates and you should agree that someone who gives out inaccurate information deserves to know about it. Although his response was in answer to my query, others can see and may accept that information as correct, as I did. When pressed on the matter I find out that his info was based on old info, and it was presented to me in response to my original enquiry as if it were current and accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I seem to remember it is only about 15 metres from the visa office to the immigration desk at this border crossing.

Is that right?

I didn't measure it and I would not speculate in case it later turns out that I gave inaccurate information. 

well tbh Ubon gave me 1 or 2 wrong info too in the past. But still no need to blame anyone here. Ubon helped lot people or at least gave some serious ideas ahead. 

things can change or can be different up to the situation. its is very normal in thialand.

when i mentioned few things and say something against some people or against their ideas, they started to ignore my posts even when i was asking a question (yes, including moderators) 

so my suggestion is keep it to yourself, thai style. dont blame or say something negative. they will ignore you in the future and you wont get any more answers. write your report.. thats it. 

btw its a nice report.

glad you did your visa. 

Edited by problemfarang
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, In the jungle said:

So not really worth getting your panties in a bunch if you have to walk from one to the other

You are missing the point here buddy. I already said it wasn't a big deal to me. No matter the direct consequences, or lack thereof, the information given was not correct.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

You are missing the point here buddy. I already said it wasn't a big deal to me. No matter the direct consequences, or lack thereof, the information given was not correct.

Then why did you make it into such a big deal with your finger pointing. Seems to me a vendetta against the one poster who has given the most help on immigration issues.  

Do you actually believe you are infallible? A small mistake was made sure, but Laos is just coming out of over two years of being closed. I would never ask for help here again if I were you. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, marin said:

Then why did you make it into such a big deal with your finger pointing.

I didn't make a big deal of it. The big deal is being made by those who support the idea that giving out factually incorrect information is acceptable. I am merely responding, as I believe I have a right to do. Even you admit a mistake was made, so why don't you just leave it at that? 

12 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

I didn't make a big deal of it. The big deal is being made by those who support the idea that giving out factually incorrect information is acceptable. I am merely responding, as I believe I have a right to do

You are not responding. You started this thread to call out a respected poster. Now you are continuing to make a big deal out of nothing. UJ admits his information was not accurate due to the fact that Lao was closed for over two years. Why can't you realize this instead of harping on. I am going to pull out of this now, but I will close by saying I hope you feel better and have been able to release your demons.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1