Police teaching children how to "Run-Hide-Fight" in wake of massacre

webfact

I haven't been following the details of this case, other than the initial media reports, but one question I have is why wasn't there any effective resistance by adults at the day care center? Were they all killed with the first shots. I believe the gunman used his service firearm, which would have had a standard capacity magazine(7-9 rounds). To kill 36 people, he would have had to reload many times (at least 2-4x) when he was effectively disarmed. Throw desks, chairs, phones, whatever!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Yes.

Adults were mostly outside eating lunch whilst the poor little mites were inside sleeping.

Shot the adults outside, shot a few children until the gun was empty then knifed the rest.

Gut wrenching just thinking about the horror. Luckily, most kids were asleep I believe.

Thanks that explains it. Sickening ????

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In Thai it is called "Nee Son Soo" that translates as "Run Hide and Fight".

Next phase:

Citizens being trained on 'nee son soo' from RTP...

With impending economic hardship, this lot would be one of the most distressed groups in the society, with disappearing income strains for few more years to come and have to feed the endless queues of kiks & mia nois.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I haven't been following the details of this case, other than the initial media reports, but one question I have is why wasn't there any effective resistance by adults at the day care center? Were they all killed with the first shots. I believe the gunman used his service firearm, which would have had a standard capacity magazine(7-9 rounds). To kill 36 people, he would have had to reload many times (at least 2-4x) when he was effectively disarmed. Throw desks, chairs, phones, whatever!

..and where do you think these women and children suddenly get this bravery from when they're being shot, clubbed and stabbed. A lot of these children as reported had closed head trauma. It was also stated the perpetrator had a shot-gun. I applaud the fact that little or no details have been released to the 'ghoulls'. All this information would be stored in an Official File, not to be released. Best leave it at that and let the authorities handle it. No point putting those there on notice to account for their actions thus causing unnecessary stress and angst. RIP.

not so sure about this run, hide, fight message when confronted by a deadly incident; run - sure, hide - absolutely, but fight? are you expecting children, untrained adults to go into conflict with people armed and trying to kill them? surely this is best left to the appropriately trained police and other forces. the uk has the message; run, hide, tell which seem far more sensible and practical.

https://www.npcc.police.uk/NPCCBusinessAreas/WeaponAttacksStaySafe.aspx

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Are you done teaching them everything else that is more useful to their lives and now only left to teach them what to do when a mass murderer may arrac them putting the fear of life in society into the hyoung heads or children?...

Youngsters know not real terror. The reality is they would be so traumatised that they would freeze so this police training, an obviously admirable response, is probably going to be ineffective. Leadership provided by courageous teachers would be more appropriate 

• Like 1

I'm sure they mean well,  

They were being proactive and following through on policies that have come from the chief of police Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat, 

This is not exactly his own idea though .. It was advice given to colledge students in the US probably because these events are almost a daily occurance there and I think i've heard it from the Uk gov too ..https://www.smcm.edu/publicsafety/run-hide-fight-active-shooter-protocol/

bit pointless trying to teach it to under 5's though 

• As a last resort, fight. If you cannot evacuate or hide safely and only when your life is in imminent danger, take action.
  • Attempt to incapacitate or disrupt the actions of the shooter.
  • Act with physical aggression toward the shooter.
  • Use items in your area such as fire extinguishers or chairs.
  • Throw items at the shooter if possible.
  • Call 911 when it is safe to do so.

probably more effective to equip them with anti stab / bullet proof vests or maybe arm the toddlers even the teachers      all just as useless

Can't see the authorities being able to teach any Thai kid anything about social media either,   It would be the other way round

Will they also bother wasting time telling this to the older students (thugs) at the bangkok technical colleges who seem to need very little encouragement to start and enjoy a "10 on to one"  fight and always manage to run away afterwards to hide successfully  from the police

This is what happens when some people feel obliged to say something to justify their existence, when not caring how moronic it actually sounds,  as they  arrogantly feel the public are too stupid understand how incompetent  they actually  are

They would be much better off remaining  silent , this kind of incident is extremely rare here and there is nothing whatsoever to be gained by half baked attempts to prepare for the next. Half baked attempts that will soon be forgotten about

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Are you done teaching them everything else that is more useful to their lives and now only left to teach them what to do when a mass murderer may arrac them putting the fear of life in society into the hyoung heads or children?...

Kind of reminds me of those drills they used to put us through in case of a nuclear holocaust. As if hiding under your desk was going to save you from a giant fire <deleted>-ball.  

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

My question also.. You would have thought, with all the time this guy took, someone would have called the police and the rest of the kids running for safety.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

These people were young women in shock and fear, facing a man with guns and a knife. Not macho computer Clint Walkers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Royal Thai Police deputy Gen Torsak Sukwimol told the press yesterday that the RTP were training young children about what to do in a shooting crisis.

Run>hide>fight..??

Children fight a person with a gun or knife... how ridiculous.

Teach them to Run>hide>stay quiet.

12 hours ago, Kevin Taylor said:

I have changed my mind on gun ownership in recent years. I wonder what would have happened if some of the mothers were armed I reckon they would have done anything to protect their kids. The <deleted> killer ain't nothing special, he was armed and no one else was that's all. 

You express some interesting thoughts. The toll might have been considerably less had an adult had the opportunity (and weapon) to take this psycho down. The timeline to murder this many must have been considerable.

20 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

To kill 36 people, he would have had to reload many times (at least 2-4x) when he was effectively disarmed. Throw desks, chairs, phones, whatever

He used a firearm initially, then killed most of the children with a knife.

The ideas are good, but as we ALL know ( except the RTP it seems) kids running away probably screaming cause more problems than anything else in the confines of a school probably dangerous to even younger ones. 

Fight with what do they think the children will fight with...truly amazing.

Good idea toi school the children  but more to educate the staff and the general population in general . More than once in my time here I have alerted a Police officer to a suspicious person and guess what looked at me and then completely ignored me.  AND yes he understood , never mind, sadly the Public get what they are given and that friankly is insufficent 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

My question also.. You would have thought, with all the time this guy took, someone would have called the police and the rest of the kids running for safety.  

It's been reported ( I believe it was in BP) that there were a couple calls that went to the police.  

• Like 1