Thailand abstains in UN vote condemning Russia’s “illegal referenda” in Ukraine

webfact

53 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Realistically will Ukrainians stop coming to Thailand for holidays because they abstained, probably not. Why would anyone expect a former Junta government to decry Russian behavior. Ukraine doesn't need Thailand's vote in order to maintain moral superiority.

Well it's more about Thailand asserting it's integrity rather than helping Ukraine. They failed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, plus7 said:

Even more, nobody need this voting. USA and some european countries bombed Serbia even without UN approval.

Also USA invaded Iraq without any approval.

"The United Nations secretary general, Kofi Annan, declared explicitly for the first time last night that the US-led war on Iraq was illegal."

A quote from "Guardian".

Moral superiority ? Yes, Facebook allowed  (previously blocked) ultra-right Azov battalion account to support superiority.

I'm not justifying the invasion, the war, I just want you to look broader on your own countries.

Cheap weak whataboutism diversion.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Cheap weak whataboutism diversion.

It is just facts.

Demanding from your host country (I assume you're a farang in Thailand) to behave as same as countries from near-by topics "GBP collapsed" and "AUD collapsed" is a diversion too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The Ukrainian nationals that prefer to live in Russia can most probably move to Russia.

They are ethnic Russians who lived in these territories centuries before Ukraine claimed independence which only happened 30 years ago as a result of incorrect division of land after the collapse of USSR which lumped together different cultures. These people have no reason to move elsewhere, it is their land, they are majority there. Their grandfathers graves are on this land. They are defending their land from western Ukes and driving them out back to their own western Ukeland.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

...Sovereign governments may have language standards for government business. If you don't like it fine but no justication to invade or occupy...

Precicely. For example, Russian and Chinese and other languages are not in use for government business in Italy, but this does of course not mean that anybody, including Italian nationals, are fobidden to speak a language other than Italian.

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

There are consequences for Thailand should it vote against Russia. The Russians make that clear all the time. So do the Chinese. There are no consequences for Thailand standing against the US and Europe. There never are, although with the huge trade surplus Thailand runs with the United States there could be. But the US acts like an empty suit. Won't do a thing.

Is there anything that Thailand did to help Ukraine? We could send them a few bags of rice?

5 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Thailand is following China's lead. Nothing more. 

Personally I am out of here until things cool off. Luckily I did not burn my bridges years ago. 

Hopefully things will cool off soon.  

out of interest where are you thinking of going?

14 minutes ago, ChessNerd said:

Correct.

It is indeed propaganda (and successful propaganda at that) when the U.S can have over 800 military bases spanning the globe (as well as "black sites" where torture is conducted, including in Thailand btw), and in a state of perpetual war for all but 16 years of their 200+ years of existence...

...and meanwhile their pot-smoking, football-watching, burger-eating, ass-twirking citizens are sobbing about the moral questions of "Russian imperialism". ????

Sorry if this hurts anyone's feelings, but it happens to be true.

(P.S I love everyone equally ????)

The post you were quoting is not correct, it’s fake news.

Why would anyone be hurt by your post? No need to apologize. It clearly shows your anti west agenda so it’s good to note. Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Nothing new here, Thailand always abstain when it come to hot potatoes issues, a. saying this is not our problem, b. we want the russian tourists, so bit the hand that feed us and c. i don't think Thailand put many thoughts in to any really world's issues other when it comes to their comfort zone...

Well, with Thailand being the centre of the universe can you really expect them to give a rats a rse about anything that could influence their well-being?