Thailand abstains in UN vote condemning Russia’s “illegal referenda” in Ukraine

webfact

1 minute ago, ChessNerd said:

Be specific.... Which part is "fake news"?

Anyone can throw a blanket statement on something they don't like.

Which part of the post you were quoting as correct is fake news that is not specific enough for you? All of it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pmarlin said:

Bet it's all about oil. Must be buying Russian oil as are most of the Asian nations are doing. Helping Russia pay for the war.

Pragmatic, which is why Thailand is Teflon coated, they don't have a dog in this fight so why go out on a limb. Thailand is a backwater country with a lot of Chinese influence within and a neighbour heavily reliant on Chinese investment so why take sides and antagonize. Thailand is a softly treading Nightingale that has seen its best course of action is not to sing to loudly.

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

out of interest where are you thinking of going?

Thought I would see if China would sell me a sub. I am not picky. I don't need an engine. I will just bob around for a while. When I run out of food. I will head in and see if things have cooled off.

38 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Kudos to Thailand for brushing off US pressure. In any case, hopefully the war will be over before APEC (and Putin) arrive in town mid-Nov with no-nonsense Surovikin now in charge of Russian forces.

I would be hoping for a end of the war by year's end. But more realistic sometime next year.

Much more Western munitions and especially anti air defense systems, plus 10s of thousands of properly Trained soldiers arriving from UK.

Ukraine has the momentum and the backing of the world.

russia has a paranoid delusional dictator

Whichever commander puppet de jour putin puts in is in a loosing positions.

https://minusrus.com/en

Slava Ukraine

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ChessNerd said:

Dude, you didn't disprove a single thing I said. 

Only posted a link and vaguely implied "but your Nazis are worse".

Western media (pre February) would seem to suggest different, because if RUSSIA had a Nazi problem to the magnitude of Ukraines, it would be on every newspaper front page, even to this day.

We all know this is true.

Why do I need disprove what the article said?

I accept it at face value.............."dude"

Here's another quote from it:

"To be clear, the Kremlin’s claims that Ukraine is a hornets’ nest of fascists are false: far-right parties performed poorly in Ukraine’s last parliamentary elections, and Ukrainians reacted with alarm to the National Militia’s demonstration in Kiev."

How Russia Uses Neo-Nazi Groups to Spread Chaos

Russian Imperial Movement” or RIM. Analysts say RIM is among several ultra-nationalist and white-supremacist groups used by the Kremlin

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Oh and link to the higher IQ of Thai’s as opposed to the West?

Well, I would say the ability to form their own judgment of what's going on in Ukraine and critically question US propaganda indicates a superior intellect than most supposedly advanced western countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Well, I would say the ability to form their own judgment of what's going on in Ukraine and critically question US propaganda indicates a superior intellect than most supposedly advanced western countries.

Can you point me to where they have critically questioned western propaganda as you put it? Did you read the Thai print out posted as to why they abstained. Pretty sure they said they respect Ukraines territorial boundaries. They also voted in the previous UN motion to condem Russias invasion into Ukraine and leave immediately.

5 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Pretty sure they said they respect Ukraines territorial boundaries.

Of course, everyone does. Except these boundaries have now shrunk outside the four provinces that voted to join Russia.

6 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

They also voted in the previous UN motion to condem Russias invasion into Ukraine and leave immediately.

Now they have done the right thing. Tell me you never made a mistake you rectified later.

14 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Of course, everyone does. Except these boundaries have now shrunk outside the four provinces that voted to join Russia.

Now they have done the right thing. Tell me you never made a mistake you rectified later.

There were no elections to join Russia, a sham show was all it was and recognized as such. It really says something when the only countries that agree with Russia are NK, Nicaragua, Belarus and Syria. A real pirate crew.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

There were no elections to join Russia, a sham show was all it was and recognized as such.

Again you prove yourself less capable of questioning propaganda than Thais.

14 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

It really says something when the only countries that agree with Russia are NK, Nicaragua, Belarus and Syria. A real pirate crew.

If you've been following recent news you'll know that China, India and OPEC+ have all sided with Russia in actions that actually matter, e.g., buying Russian exports, raising oil prices, etc. Now, that is a real pirate crew.

33 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Sham votes with guns pointed. Recognized as legit by almost no other countries.

9 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Again you prove yourself less capable of questioning propaganda than Thais.

If you've been following recent news you'll know that China, India and OPEC+ have all sided with Russia in actions that actually matter, e.g., buying Russian exports, raising oil prices, etc. Now, that is a real pirate crew.

This is not about OPEC please keep up with the topic at hand. Thai’s have also not recognized the new annexed regions or boundaries announced by Russia. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Thai’s have also not recognized the new annexed regions or boundaries announced by Russia. 

Interesting question, we don't know either way yet. But here would be hypothetical test: If a resident of Luhansk (with address proof) applies for a Thai visa using a Russian passport at the Moscow Thai embassy, will he be turned down and told "sorry, wrong country, try Ukraine".

I would be curious to know.

6 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Interesting question, we don't know either way yet. But here would be hypothetical test: If a resident of Luhansk (with address proof) applies for a Thai visa using a Russian passport at the Moscow Thai embassy, will he be turned down and told "sorry, wrong country, try Ukraine".

I would be curious to know.

We do know either way, read the Thai statement on the first page of this thread by Thailand. Thailand does not recognize the new territories. 
image.jpeg.4b85b41254438c80d247c69d594d4209.jpeg

Edited by coolcarer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

We do know either way, read the Thai statement on the first page of this thread by Thailand. Thailand does not recognize the new territories. 
image.jpeg.4b85b41254438c80d247c69d594d4209.jpeg

Nowhere does it say Thailand does/does not recognize the four newly-acquired Russian oblasts. It does make a statement of general principle in Art. 1 against "unprovoked acquisition ..." but doesn't accuse Russia of any wrongdoing. And in the next Art. 2 it declares the situation as too volatile to choose sides.

Smart diplomacy by Thailand in waiting for the ground realities to sort themselves.