Will new XBB strain cause COVID to resurge in Thailand?

webfact

On 10/17/2022 at 4:41 AM, swm59nj said:

The Moderna vaccine given here is not the latest version . It does help but does not have direct protection against Omicron and the newer variants.  
The latest Moderna version has been available in the states I believe since last month. 

This is correct.  I got my 5th Moderna a month ago in New York as soon as it became available. I asked the nurse if I would be better with a Pfizer to mix things up and she advised continuing with Moderna for its better results.  I'm 81, in reasonably good health, and still wearing a mask in many places now in HH (though not as many as my 40 yr old GF would like).  

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Or maybe you have to be treated at a hospital and spend north of 500,000 baht in a week.

Insurance won't cover COVID costs if you are not vaccinated.

Which insurance is that? Mine (Allianz) covers 100% without asking for proof of vax. Not that I would make a claim for a mere sniffle anyway.

11 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Which insurance is that? Mine (Allianz) covers 100% without asking for proof of vax. Not that I would make a claim for a mere sniffle anyway.

I understand your a staunch antivaxxer.  

Vaccines are recommended to help stop the spread of the virus to the elderly and more vulnerable. 

"the best way to reduce your risk of symptoms, especially becoming severely ill, if you get COVID-19. But right along with vaccination are steps you can take to both avoid getting infected and help prevent spreading the virus to others."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/preventing-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus

It's not always about you. 

Edited by MrJ2U

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

I understand your a staunch antivaxxer.  

Vaccines are recommended to help stop the spread of the virus to the elderly and more vulnerable. 

"the best way to reduce your risk of symptoms, especially becoming severely ill, if you get COVID-19. But right along with vaccination are steps you can take to both avoid getting infected and help prevent spreading the virus to others."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/preventing-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus

It's not always about you. 

I was asking for clarification about the following statement you made:

Insurance won't cover COVID costs if you are not vaccinated.

Sounds like the false claim "you can't travel internationally if you are not vaccinated" which I have debunked several times on this forum.

'Antivaxxer' is one of those meaningless terms, like 'climate denier' simply used to signal contempt for someone whose views differ from your own.

Yes, there may be a few people who oppose all vaccines on principle, but there are a great many more who are happy to take vaccines which are tried and tested and have proved to be safe and effective over long periods of time, but are more wary of those produced at warp speed.

By definition, we cannot know the long-term outcome of the mRNA Covid vaccines, any more than they could for the swine flu vaccines in 1976, which turned into a deadly fiasco.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

'Antivaxxer' is one of those meaningless terms, like 'climate denier' simply used to signal contempt for someone whose views differ from your own.

Yes, there may be a few people who oppose all vaccines on principle, but there are a great many more who are happy to take vaccines which are tried and tested and have proved to be safe and effective over long periods of time, but are more wary of those produced at warp speed.

By definition, we cannot know the long-term outcome of the mRNA Covid vaccines, any more than they could for the swine flu vaccines in 1976, which turned into a deadly fiasco.

You really want to go down that road.  It was not a deadly fiasco.  Again it was very few, and as always with any vaccine there is the possibility of some type of side effect, or even death. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/long-shadow-1976-swine-flu-vaccine-fiasco-180961994/

The real victims of this pandemic were likely the 450-odd people who came down with Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare neurological disorder, after getting the 1976 flu shot. On its website, the CDC notes that people who got the vaccination did have an increased risk of “approximately one additional case of GBS for every 100,000 people who got the swine flu vaccine.”

Several theories as to why this happened exist, they say, “but the exact reason for this link remains unknown.” As for the flu shot today, the CDC writes, if there is any increased risk it is “very small, about one in a million. Studies suggest that it is more likely that a person will get GBS after getting the flu than after vaccination.”

• Like 1

Next thing you know some will say the entire covid thing was/is all a giant chinese hoax and all those dead people are not really dead, all those horrible scenes of bodies piled outside full hospitals are all photo shopped and dr fauci secretly is some kind of evil dr strangelove who is out to convince you to take a shot because he wants to implant a bill gates tracking device....and by the way the moon landing was all faked, elvis is sitting in a bar in pattaya, and your girl's sick buffalo is different.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It was not a deadly fiasco. 

The US government compensated the families of 439 who were injured, including the heirs of 23 people who had died.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1978/06/21/us-agrees-to-pay-those-paralyzed-by-swine-flu-shots/26c65a54-e3c9-4e4c-a23f-b8a411b563b3/

If only today's health authorities were so vigilant and public-spirited.

Edited by onthedarkside
unsourced claim removed, incorrect figures corrected
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eleftheros said:

Good (and obvious) point.

I have been called "antivaxxer" countless times on this forum, and I am fine with it, they can call me that if they want to. However, the fact that I have had pretty much all the basic vaccines prior to 2020 would seemingly contradict that. Unless there is a retroactive effect, of course…

Edited by onthedarkside
off-topic comment removed