Prescrition glasses .

gimo

Can anyone tell me where I can get my eyes tested for getting distance glasses ( everything beyond looking at computer distance ) and then buy them , preferable from the company that tested for them ? I hope I can get it done locally here in Yasothon , but accept that I might have to go to Ubon . I've lost the glasses I brought from Australia' s ' Specsavers " a few months ago . They cost AUD $ 250 . Hoping for cheaper here .

You can get prescription glasses from any Top Charoen branch. Sure to be a branch in your nearest town.

They are not the cheapest but I have found you can haggle with them.

Probably other places if you have a look in Yasothon town. Locals will direct you.

15 minutes ago, Denim said:

You can get prescription glasses from any Top Charoen branch. Sure to be a branch in your nearest town.

They are not the cheapest but I have found you can haggle with them.

Probably other places if you have a look in Yasothon town. Locals will direct you.

Thanks Denim . There is a Top Charoen place here but I'm a bit worried about the acurracy of the testing . I can't give them old  lenses to make the glasses because I've lost them . Have you or soemone you know of had prescription glasses from TC after eye testing ?

54 minutes ago, gimo said:

Thanks Denim . There is a Top Charoen place here but I'm a bit worried about the acurracy of the testing . I can't give them old  lenses to make the glasses because I've lost them . Have you or soemone you know of had prescription glasses from TC after eye testing ?

I had some done from there a long time ago and they were OK. but a bit pricey so I stopped using them.

As my eyesight has not really changed I now just get any I need from old prescription. Maybe go into Yasothon and look around. A google search might turn something up.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, gimo said:

They tested me last month, very good, these machines are simple to use nowadays. Cost me 9000 baht and that includes a tint and designer frames(Gucci)

On 10/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, gimo said:

Yep, I had some glasses from them.

Once I had taught the pretty girl how to use the testing machine, there were no problems.

But I now prefer to buy my glasses from ZenniOptical.com as the same prescription is $50 vs 8000bht.

Top Charoen seem to be everywhere. I used them for both contact lenses and spectacles. They were a bit pricey ( I discovered later).

When I gave up on contact lenses ( age won over vanity!) I went to an opticians in my local small town. I have a problem with my left eye from an injury, complicated by diabetes. This means that it varies from time to time. He patiently retested that eye at different times of the day over a week until he had established an average correction. He supplies both me and my daughter with glasses. I pop in every few months and they clean, straighten and adjust frames for free. All he asks is that I pass a glance over his children's English homework when I am there!

The local opticians are fine. Of course you don't get served by a pretty girl in a tight white uniform, but it costs about half.

Edited by herfiehandbag

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

The local opticians are fine. Of course you don't get served by a pretty girl in a tight white uniform, but it costs about half.

Opticians fit your frames - they should not be doing any testing.  That is done by ophthalmologists or optometrists (and in Thailand there are very few optometrists as it is a new field).  Unless you are sure of qualifications probably best to go to hospital for real ophthalmologist exam and have them write the lens prescription (they may find an issue that needs attention) - then obtain glasses from Zenni or local optical shop.

Myself & daughter have had scripts made from the chains, and they do fine job, our experiences anyway.  Mine haven't changed from age 40ish to 67, and first pair, she got the script correct, without me telling her.  

Daughters due to age, changing and needing stronger, till recently, and have been good results for her as her eyes changed over the years.

Just need to make sure they are as you want before leaving the shop, and easy enough.  Prices will depend more on the frame than the lenses.  Inexpensive, (relative) to expensive designer name frames.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

then obtain glasses from Zenni or local optical shop.

I have used Zenni before shipping glasses to Thailand. As I checked their website and posted here a month or so ago, they are currently not shipping to Thailand.

Edited by jerrymahoney