E-VISA & VISA EXTENSION BASED ON MARRIAGE

I am not sure my first attempt (yesterday) to post the following was successful, so I am doing so again.

As I explained in a previous post, my wife, a Thai national (with dual citizenship), and I, a US citizen, after residing for many years in the US, will be moving to Thailand. Pursuant to our move, I will apply for a Non-immigrant O visa at the Los Angeles Thai consulate with the intention of then applying, annually, in Bangkok for a one -year visa extension based on marriage. I would greatly appreciate comments regarding the following questions vis-a-vis said applications.

1.) In applying for a non-immigrant O e-visa am I correct in understanding that a one-way ticket w/single entry option will be acceptable; someone who has provided a video about applying for an e-visa is not sure if I may need either a round trip ticket or another one-way ticket to show that I will be leaving before my visa expires. Also, if I must for some reason return temporarily to the US, can I can get a re-entry permit (TM8) allowing me to return to Thailand without having to apply for another non-immigrant O visa?

2.) Regarding requirements for a visa extension (Thai Marriage Visa): Thanks to certain of you veteran expats sharing your knowledge, I understand that I can meet the financial requirement by opening a personal account in my name only and transferring, at least 2 months before applying for said visa extension, ฿400K from our joint saving account at Bangkok Bank into my personal account, without having to show that the funds came from overseas (USA); did I get this right?

3.) I believe we have all the required documents (i.e., marriage registration [Kor Ror 22], my wife's national ID card, Tabien Baan [ทะเบียนบ้าน], but I am unsure if our intention to rent, indefinitely, condos, etc., in the CBD of Bangkok rather than residing at the residence indicated by said Tabien Baan, which is owned by my wife's sister, will be a problem with immigration. Any offered wisdom regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ubonjoe
changed to default font. Bold fonts are not allowed.

your choice of font is painful to the eye

A re-entry permit only keeps the permission to stay stamp alive, it does not extend it, ie permission to stay stamp until 21st Feb, re-entry permit will expire on the 21st Feb

Edited by steve187

1. No return or onward ticket is needed if you have a non-o visa.

You could apply for a single re-entry permit that would keep the remainder of your 90 day permit to stay from the non-o     visa.

2. Correct and no proof of the 400k baht came from abroad.

3. Add copy of your marriage certificate translate to Thai or english if not in English already. Since you mentioned a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry I assume you were married outside Thailand.

You wifes tambien ban does not be have to be for where you apply for the extension.

You will need something from your wife's sister to stating you are living in her house along with signed copies of her tambien ban and ID card.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. No return or onward ticket is needed if you have a non-o visa.

You could apply for a single re-entry permit that would keep the remainder of your 90 day permit to stay from the non-o     visa.

2. Correct and no proof of the 400k baht came from abroad.

3. Add copy of your marriage certificate translate to Thai or english if not in English already. Since you mentioned a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry I assume you were married outside Thailand.

You wifes tambien ban does not be have to be for where you apply for the extension.

You will need something from your wife's sister to stating you are living in her house along with signed copies of her tambien ban and ID card.

Thank you, ubonjoe, for your always knowledgeable, coherent responses to my questions. Regarding my question pertaining to the residency requirement: Yes, we were married in the USA (30 years ago) and our married certificate has been translated to Thai. Regarding your statements, “Your wife's tambien baan does not have to be for where you apply for the extension.” and “You will need something from your wife's sister stating you are living in her house along with signed copies of her tambien ban and ID card.” I assume such documents will be necessary when I apply for the visa extension only if we are, in fact, living with my wife's sister – correct? Although the Tabien Baan certifies my wife as a resident, actually, we do not intent to ever live there. I will be 87 years old when we move to Thailand next year and it is our intention to rent for the duration of my remaining years, or perhaps, depending upon said duration, until we decide to purchase a residence. - A related detail: It is my understanding that the proprietor of the residence, wherever we are staying (hotel, condo, etc.), is required to file a TM30 notification to immigration of our presence. Is this correct?

Again, thank you for taking the time to provide your obviously well-informed responses to my inquires.

57 minutes ago, sidleonard said:

Regarding your statements, “Your wife's tambien baan does not have to be for where you apply for the extension.” and “You will need something from your wife's sister stating you are living in her house along with signed copies of her tambien ban and ID card.” I assume such documents will be necessary when I apply for the visa extension only if we are, in fact, living with my wife's sister – correct?

Yes

You will need proof of your residence when you apply for the extension.

59 minutes ago, sidleonard said:

A related detail: It is my understanding that the proprietor of the residence, wherever we are staying (hotel, condo, etc.), is required to file a TM30 notification to immigration of our presence. Is this correct?

Yes

To ubonjoe,

You certainly have been patience with my persistence in picking your brains to get the answers I need as my wife and I prepare for our move to Thailand. I am sure you are thinking, when will this guy ever stop with his questions? Well, at age 86 I have been around the block (so to speak) enough times to never take anything for granted, so if I am not sure of something I pursue it until I fully understand it. So, if you will bear with me for one more clarification session, I promise that I will cease and desist imposing upon your time and expertise further.

My confusion regards the residence requirement for obtaining a visa extension based on marriage. Included among the documents required when applying for same are a Tabien Baan and map showing the location of the household (and maybe even pictures) and a rental contract.

Am I correct in assuming that my wife and I will not be required to reside in the residence, owned by her sister, certified by the Tabien Baan & map (attached) and that a rental contract certifying wherever we are residing (hotel. Condo, etc.) at the time of my application will be acceptable? And can I then also assume that said address will be the address requested on page 2 of the TM.7 form (attached)?

Last question (I promise): Also stated as a requirement for obtaining a visa extension is “Once you get the Thai Visa Extension, you have to get a Re-Entry Permit and then, 90 days after entering, you have to report your address to the Immigration authorities.” From what I have described as my situation, do you agree that this requirement does not apply to me?

Again, thank you all your generous help.

TABIEN BAAN & MAP.pdf TM7 - EXTENSION OF STAY.pdf

2 hours ago, sidleonard said:

My confusion regards the residence requirement for obtaining a visa extension based on marriage. Included among the documents required when applying for same are a Tabien Baan and map showing the location of the household (and maybe even pictures) and a rental contract.

YA copy of your wife's tambien ban registry (page 1 and the page she is registered on) and ID card is needed as one of the normal requirements for a extension based upon.

Am I correct in assuming that my wife and I will not be required to reside in the residence, owned by her sister, certified by the Tabien Baan & map (attached) and that a rental contract certifying wherever we are residing (hotel. Condo, etc.) at the time of my application will be acceptable? And can I then also assume that said address will be the address requested on page 2 of the TM.7 form (attached)?

No need to use your wifes sisters tambien ban or anything else related to her.

You will need a rental agreement and copies of the owners tambien ban and ID card signed by them.

You will need a map from the nearest main road or intersection to your residence. 

The address for you current residence will be put on the TM7 form.

Last question (I promise): Also stated as a requirement for obtaining a visa extension is “Once you get the Thai Visa Extension, you have to get a Re-Entry Permit and then, 90 days after entering, you have to report your address to the Immigration authorities.” From what I have described as my situation, do you agree that this requirement does not apply to me?

A re-entry permit is only needed if you plan on traveling and has nothing to do with your extension application.

You will need to do a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country 90 days from the day you apply for the extension.

Here is my general list of requirements for the extension application.  Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

ubonjoe,

I justify this further inquiry based on the fact that this is not a new question, just a request for further clarification of my previous question regarding the tabien baan/residence requirements.

• The house book (tabien baan) pages which I attached, shows that my wife is a registered resident at that house, which is owned by her sister; my wife does not own a residence. However, I understand that this document showing where my wife is a registered resident is required when applying for a visa extension, although, as previously stated, we do not intent to stay there during my remaining years; it is our intention to rent for the duration of our remaining time together. However, it is possible that, if I predecease her, my wife may, or may not, decide to reside in said house, owned by her sister, but where she is a registered resident.

Here is my confusion: You said, “No need to use your wife's sister's tabien baan or anything else related to her” but the Requirement Document link you provided includes the following as required documents:

• Copies of your wife's house book (tabien baan) registry and ID card. She, of course, has the latter item, but I do not know what the former refers to, as indicated above, my wife is a registered resident at her sister's house, but my wife is not an owner of a house.

• Photos of you and your wife in an around the house...

• Map to your residence from the nearest main road or street.

So, do we need to provide the above documentation, which obviously assumes that we will be residing at my wife's sister's house, but, as explained, we will not be doing so, even though my wife is a register resident there, as certified by the attached pages from my wife's sister's tabien baan.

Or, as explained above, since we will be renting, not living with my wife's sister, do we simply need to provide a copy of our lease agreement provided by the proprietor of whatever condo, etc., we may be renting at the time of my visa extension each year? Do we also need to provide a map to same? I assume that we should also confirm that the proprietor has filed the required TM30.

Thank you.

So, do we need to provide the above documentation, which obviously assumes that we will be residing at my wife's sister's house, but, as explained, we will not be doing so, even though my wife is a register resident there, as certified by the attached pages from my wife's sister's tabien baan.

This os what I wrote.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

No need to use your wifes sisters tambien ban or anything else related to her.

You will need a rental agreement and copies of the owners tambien ban and ID card signed by them.

You will need a map from the nearest main road or intersection to your residence. 

The address for you current residence will be put on the TM7 form.

If your wife is registered in her sister's house book she will need a copy of page one and the page she is registered on when doing the application.

You will need proof of where you are living. It can be a rental agreement and copies of the owners house book and ID card.