Observation and lack of concern for others.

The other evening with my Thai Mrs driving (as always) I said to her; "At least you didn't run him over". She replied "who, what are you talking about?". I told her there was a guy crawling across the road. She said she hadn't seen him. I asked her if she wasn't going to stop so we could offer assistance if necessary? However, 'the lady wasn't for turning'. Two points; if she wasn't watching the road ahead what was she watching? She must have assumed that the guy was 'under the influence' and/or someone else would notice and stop. The road was well lit and there were several vehicles behind us. I'll admit I'm hopeless in emergencies but if I could speak Thai I would have called the First Responders. Definite lack of concern IMHO.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

She said she hadn't seen him.

To be fair we all have selective perception. We just don't see many things which our trained brain considers irrelevant. Maybe the guy was too far away from the car so that he was irrelevant for any necessary corrections. Or maybe she considered a possibly drunk and crawling create as irrelevant. It's possible, and it's just a theory, I don't say this is what happened.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

But my wife can find a cat in ditch which had been attacked by dogs. He's still at the vet!

To be fair, my Mrs can spot a parking space where I can't see one. Then manoeuvre into it when I wouldn't even attempt it. Sounds as if you can expect a vet's bill and to gain another pet. At least the bill will be less than back home! Good on your Mrs for taking responsibility. 

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

To be fair we all have selective perception. We just don't see many things which our trained brain considers irrelevant. Maybe the guy was too far away from the car so that he was irrelevant for any necessary corrections. Or maybe she considered a possibly drunk and crawling create as irrelevant. It's possible, and it's just a theory, I don't say this is what happened.

Think you are correct. The guy was well to the left, sort of emerging from between parked vehicles.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chosenfew said:

I found out the hard way that my GF needed glasses…

Thanks for reminding me. My Mrs chooses her glasses from market stalls. I doubt she has ever had an eye examination involving testing pressure and taking photographs of the eyeball. 

Farang tink too mutt...

or too little, often in the case where the at fault party was not to be found, the good Samaritan could found themselves at fault... this had genuinely happened the accusation was from 'if you're not guilty why did you take him to the hospital/stop to call an ambulance'  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tandor said:

I think she needs proper training...maybe a refresher course. My lady also lacks attention when driving, so i take the wheel when we go out. Her main issue was following too close and not looking far enough ahead; slowly we got there and she is much better now.

I haven't driven for 10 years. I only have a U.K. driving licence. No interest in obtaining a Thai one. Lack confidence and fear the repercussions should I injure or kill anyone. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Farang tink too mutt...

or too little, often in the case where the at fault party was not to be found, the good Samaritan could found themselves at fault... this had genuinely happened the accusation was from 'if you're not guilty why did you take him to the hospital/stop to call an ambulance'  

True. I was totally thinking heart attack or hypo glycaemic episode.

A Thai person crawling across a road or staggering down it. High probability drunk or high on drugs.

Unfortunately, showing concern for such people may have unanticipated repercussions.

I occasionally see one on the road to the village, my GF always says drive on.

• Like 1

Driving here is taught in general just look one car length  ahead instead of getting the bigger picture. 

My wife taught by Thais scratches all over her car my son taught by me his truck 5 years old spotless.  He gets the bigger picture knows how to use both his mirrors although his training and test by me all mirrors were covered. 

Once wife was to pick me up at a specific she called said where are you?  I told her I was there standing waving and she just drove by???? Not once but twice. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Two points; if she wasn't watching the road ahead what was she watching?

My problem is not what they are watching but what are they thinking about. It does not appear to be driving a car, and that goes for males as well.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

For your sake i hope your missus has better observation and much more concern at home that she has on the road...

People become totally switched off from reality when driving. That seems to be an unfortunate fact wherever you are. 

16 hours ago, tandor said:

I think she needs proper training...maybe a refresher course. My lady also lacks attention when driving, so i take the wheel when we go out. Her main issue was following too close and not looking far enough ahead; slowly we got there and she is much better now.

I refuse to let my wife drive, period! She has already taken out a couple on a motorbike. Thank God they only had minor injuries. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kenneth White said:

I refuse to let my wife drive, period! She has already taken out a couple on a motorbike. Thank God they only had minor injuries. 

That is my greatest fear. We only have the basic 600 baht motor insurance. If I or my wife caused a moto rider to suffer a brain injury requiring treatment and care for the remainder of their life we would really be in trouble. Plus, I'd never forgive myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my latest bestseller book, I make it clear!!!!

1.  check instagram

2.  update Facebook with food picture

3.  Give three likes

4.  check hair

5.  four selfies

6.  Look where you are driving

7.  Ask yourself, "Does anyone around you have more Facebook friends?"  If no, another selfie

Lack of concern for others???  First, get 1 million Facebook friends.   Take care of yourself first!!!!!

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Also passengers often see more things outside of what is on the road ahead because they are free to look around without worrying about oncoming vehicles.

Combine that with the Thai attitude of "don't concern yourself too much with what other people are doing if it doesn't effect you", and I guess they might seem more uncaring than they really are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

To be fair, my Mrs can spot a parking space where I can't see one. Then manoeuvre into it when I wouldn't even attempt it. Sounds as if you can expect a vet's bill and to gain another pet. At least the bill will be less than back home! Good on your Mrs for taking responsibility. 

years ago I was sat in my truck.....lady driver turned up to park in between the white lines of a parking bay.......TOOK HER 8 ATTEMPS  to park !!!!!!!!!!!!

i was laughing my head off thinking !!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tandor said:

Maybe an eye test

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1