Is it still illegal to buy buddha paintings and bring them back to europe?

parafareno

I am getting quotes to ship the contents of my condo from Hua Hin to Barcelona and every one of them explicitly say something like "Following items require export permit (Fee: Baht 3,000 for up to 10 objects): -All kind of Buddhas image / religious statues / relics / reproductions / spirit house etc " 

So you need to get an export permit and that itself may be easy / difficult / impossible.

• Haha 1

I have no experience with canvas paintings. However, before I had left Thailand after my second visit to Thailand as a tourist, almost 40 years ago, I got an export permit for a very small wooden Buddha image in rural style, at that time worth THB 40(?). At the office I presented 4 pictures, seen from each side. I learned how much the bureaucracy is overdoing and the effort to do was unnecessary. Thus, during some 30 years I carried in my suitcase a lot of Buddha images from tiny size to 30 cm hight out of the country. Even it was x-rayed it was never a problem. When I immigrated to Thailand some years ago, I brought all of them back, again in my suitcase and step by step. Although always x-rayed there was never a critical question or a request to open the luggage. Only once an officer recognized one of the Buddha statues and smiled when I said "Buddha is come home". However, I always avoided to carry a Buddha image in my hand luggage.

• Like 1

I know a dude who sell them on Ebay for years. Not a single problem. However those are not Buddha precisely - I mean that Prince who left his hood to wonder around and fell asleep under the bodhi tree.

Most popular are small statues (about 20cm) of the idol with multiple faces, I guess his nom is Brahma-something. 

But paintings? Those from Chatuchak have no value at all, as well as common taste. Who would buy that kitsch?

4 hours ago, mwbrown said:

I am getting quotes to ship the contents of my condo from Hua Hin to Barcelona and every one of them explicitly say something like "Following items require export permit (Fee: Baht 3,000 for up to 10 objects): -All kind of Buddhas image / religious statues / relics / reproductions / spirit house etc " 

So you need to get an export permit and that itself may be easy / difficult / impossible.

Buy one at home.  Its not like you can get a 'buddha picture' online.

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely no problem at all. The only thing they can object against is historical and valuable things related to age and origin. For paintings you buy in the street or reproductions they can´t care less. For some things, they might tell you to pay a sum per object, but also very rare.