Documents required to sell a property - British husband/Thai wife

Hi

Question re selling a condo in Thailand.

My Thai wife ( then girlfriend ) and I bought a condo in BKK about 10 years ago( in her name). We subsequently got married and still are.

We're looking at selling the condo. Are there any requirements from my side(British) for my wife to sell it - any official documentation required?

If so what, and is it better to get it in England or Thailand We currently live in England, but are back to BKK for a few months next month.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

P

Edited by Pmbkk

Nothing for you to do, as far as the land office is concerned its a Thai person selling a property, that they bought when not married..

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Wife has come across something entitled 'Letter of Confirmation' which we should both sign - Thai embassy website. ( I know it says old - but she also has a link from the Vancouver embassy )

As she bought it in her own name, before we were married I don't think we need it, but apparently "chatter" on Thai websites say we both need to sign it as we're now married.

Anybody signed such a document?

Regards

P

59 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

My Wife has come across something entitled 'Letter of Confirmation' which we should both sign - Thai embassy website. ( I know it says old - but she also has a link from the Vancouver embassy )

As she bought it in her own name, before we were married I don't think we need it, but apparently "chatter" on Thai websites say we both need to sign it as we're now married.

Anybody signed such a document?

Regards

P

Yes, you have to sign this to in case you get divorced and you make a claim on the property. 

I'm not sure if a Thai couple would have to sign this. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

That would only be the case if the property was bought after they were married. Property owned by either party prior to marriage remains the sole property of the respectice party upon divorce. Only assets acquired post marriage will be considered shared assets, in which case such a decalaration may be required for purchased property in the case of marriage between a Thai and a foreigner.  

That was my understanding.

We'll complete it anyway as we'll be in BKK if we go ahead. 

Appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Regards

P

1 hour ago, Pmbkk said:

That was my understanding.

We'll complete it anyway as we'll be in BKK if we go ahead. 

Appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Regards

P

That document appears to be specifically for the purchase of real estate and doesn't appear to have any relevance in the case of the sale of real estate.

By the way, I've never signed such a document in all the years I've been married to my Thai wife. She has purchased five land plots during our marriage. However, she still retains her Thai maiden name on her Thai ID card and Thai passport and our marriage was never registered in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The condo is hers-plain and simple.

She will have to provide  letters from the Juristic Manager to detail :

1) The ratios of Foreign/Thai ownership. They need to be in order .Max 49% foreign

2) That the condo is debt free.

The land office will not do the transfer without these documents.

Edited by Delight
spelling