Is a UK Driving license sufficient for driving a Motorcycle in Thailand?

spambot

I will arrive back in Thailand in the next few weeks and want to use a motorcycle for trips around Sattahip and Chonburi, possibly about three times per month for the next six months starting from Pattaya. 

I have a full car drivers licence, but not a full motorbike licence, which in the UK allows for engine size up to 50cc without displaying L plates or passing a Compulsory basic training ( CBT ) course.

As I understand there is the Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522 (1979) that allows foreigners with appropriate licence from their own country to drive in Thailand. This is section 42 bis.46 bilateral agreement - Thailand Government reciprocal recognition of foreign domestic driving licenses

Although not strictly needed I will arrive with International Drivers Permit (IDP) just to ensure if stopped and requested this will be available.

Q1: Should I restrict my Bike to the same UK limit of 50cc?

Q2: Will my licences theoretically cover me to drive a motorcycle while in Thailand?

These questions are asked knowing that the police may act possibly in ways that does not reflect what is the actual law.  

37 minutes ago, spambot said:

Q1: Should I restrict my Bike to the same UK limit of 50cc?

I don't know a motorcycle with 50CC engine. The smallest I have seen in Thailand is 110cc. If somebody knows a 50CC bike, please let me know. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

There is no currently legal under 50cc bikes in Thailand, under 50cc bike are not classified as roadworthy in Thailand at the moment(it was at one time in the past) so no, you can't ride bikes on car license from the UK

Mnnn - Good point digbeth - I didn't realise that.

Now reviewing the answers to my question by you guys - Seems that motorcycle test is quite a good option - It does not seem like a huge commitment and relatively low cost from reports on the web.

Is this fairly reasonable and straightforward?

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thant sounds like you have little to no experience in riding bikes at all or bikes > 50cc.

Maybe think again if you want to risk riding a bike, any bike, in Thailand.

When I arrived here many years ago, I used motorcycle taxis for maybe two years basically every day. Doing that gave me an idea what to expect from all those other vehicles - basically expect them from anywhere anytime. I also learned about the streets and all the legal and illegal shortcuts in my area.

Then, after a few years gathering experience on the back of bikes, I bought my own bike here and I am almost accident free - at least nothing that hurt.

Riding here is very dangerous. Be careful!

And many Thai motorcycle riders don't have any license - just to give you an idea.

Yup Yup OneMoreFarang - completely correct - I am not experienced.

I get what you are saying and I would not dream in taking to the roads and alleys of Pattay...at all, ever.

I have found on Google Maps a quiet track running parallel next to railway line and then some backroads on the last leg to the coast. 

I aim to use the experience to get better at something I am definitely not good at.

My other option if the Motorcycle does work out is to simply go to Lotuss or Big C and buy a pedal bike and do the same journey - If my legs allow!

• Thumbs Up 1

If you've already got an IDP recently what is it, 1949 or 1968 and when did you get it?

The Uk GOV website says 1968, but the post office did say 1949 until a few weeks ago.

I wrote an email to the post office saying they're form was wrong - I added a comment in a thread on here a few weeks ago detailing the discrepancy.

Now the Post Office has updated their website - no thanks from the P.O. for me correcting them ????

Not even a free 5.50 IDP.  ???? 

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker

To drive in Thailand you will need an

International Driving Permit 1968

Permit valid for 3 year

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It used to be that only Asean countries driver's licenses were accepted in Thailand. All the others would be invalid and get you fined, and maybe the bike impounded. It would be good to know if this has recently changed.

You may be lucky and just be able to show your British license and get a Thai license without a test. The written test(when I took it) was a joke. Many questions had the wrong answers marked as being correct. If this is still the case, there are sample questions out there, with the wrong answers marked the way  they score them, so get those and memorize the answers. I studied the actual driver's license study book and got a couple wrong when I answered as the study book said.

Edited by gargamon
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

If you've already got an IDP recently what is it, 1949 or 1968 and when did you get it?

The Uk GOV website says 1968, but the post office did say 1949 until a few weeks ago.

I wrote an email to the post office saying they're form was wrong - I added a comment in a thread on here a few weeks ago detailing the discrepancy.

Now the Post Office has updated their website - no thanks from the P.O. for me correcting them ????

Not even a free 5.50 IDP.  ???? 

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker

To drive in Thailand you will need an

International Driving Permit 1968

Permit valid for 3 year

I have not yet got this yet Pmbkk - I would be doing this Friday.

You raise a good issue and there are a number of forums that point out the same. The local Post office is not any help.

It however sounds like you are on top of this - Well done.

1 hour ago, spambot said:

I have not yet got this yet Pmbkk - I would be doing this Friday.

You raise a good issue and there are a number of forums that point out the same. The local Post office is not any help.

It however sounds like you are on top of this - Well done.

Travel insurance issued in the UK will not cover you for operating any vehicle in Thailand unless you possess a licence to operate such a vehicle in the UK. 

If you use a 250cc in Thailand and you do not possess a licence for a 250cc in the UK your travel insurance will not cover you.

Whatever Thai licence you possess is of no interest to your UK insurance company.........they know Thai licences are worthless as an indication of adequate rider/driver competence.

If you can't pass the 125cc test in the UK before you go to Thailand you are ****** as far as coverage by travel insurance is concerned, because the smallest you will find to ride in Thailand will be 110/115/125cc.

But don't let that stop you.......Thai MC rental companies are completely irresponsible and don't give a **** if you live or die.

They will rent you whatever you want and you can easily bribe your way out of any speeding or minor to medium infraction (real, or invented by the RTP) that might involve the uniformed scum that comprise said RTP.........they really are the "Filth".

See you on GoFundMe.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spambot said:

Yup - That looks like the only real choice - If wanting to reduce future road risks.

get an International Driving Licence in your country before you leave and you will be fully covered in any country. You can then apply for Thai Licences if you decide to stay whilst the IL is still valid. First period is 2 years, then each 5 years for a Thai Licence (Car/Bike).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, tandor said:

get an International Driving Licence in your country before you leave and you will be fully covered in any country. You can then apply for Thai Licences if you decide to stay whilst the IL is still valid. First period is 2 years, then each 5 years for a Thai Licence (Car/Bike).

If don't have a proper m'bike licence I doubt will get cover on any UK insurance, and anyone rides in LOS without insurance is barking.

NB has to be specific insurance for m'bikes.

Even if have International licence would still have to take Thai test to get Thai m'bike licence.

I got mine based on UK m'bike licence, but still had to take test.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, spambot said:

I will arrive back in Thailand in the next few weeks and want to use a motorcycle for trips around Sattahip and Chonburi, possibly about three times per month for the next six months starting from Pattaya. 

If not a skilled m'bike rider, think carefully about riding in LOS, which is extremely dangerous for m'bike riders.

Loads of traps for the unwary are all about. I believe m'bike riders account for most of the death toll on Thai roads.

Also, it's too hot to wear protective gear, so I never did, but I always wore a helmet, which saved my life when someone drove into me while I was almost stationary. The helmet was smashed, not my skull.

• Like 2

As far as I am aware as a resident here: 

1. You MUST have an International Drivers Permit apart from your UKL license.
  2. A foreign license does not allow you to drive here.
  3. This applies to all tourists who wish to ride/drive in LOS.
  4. You cannot drive any vehicle in LOS after 60 days without applying for and holding a Thai license.
  5. If you have insurances for riding or driving that insurance will be voided if you drive beyond the 60 day period without gaining a Thai license.
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, tandor said:

I think it takes years to get a full m'bike in the UK and will he get insurance on a provisional one?

Are you saying an International Driving Licence covers m'bike even without a full licence from home country?

5 hours ago, spambot said:

I have found on Google Maps a quiet track running parallel next to railway line and then some backroads on the last leg to the coast. 

Good luck with your trip - you need it.

It seems most (rental) bikes have street tires which are good for paved roads but certainly not good for tracks.

I would suggest get (kind of) dirt tires. They are cheap for small bikes, not even 1000B per tire. That will make such a trip much safer. 

Best-Dirt-Bike-Tires-e1561541680184.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spambot said:

Yup Yup OneMoreFarang - completely correct - I am not experienced.

I get what you are saying and I would not dream in taking to the roads and alleys of Pattay...at all, ever.

Quieter roads, in my opinion can be more dangerous. On the highway you're surrounded by traffic so you have no choice but to be alert the whole time. A quiet road can lul you into a false sense of security; you can be crusing along, enjoying the scenery and only half concentrating on the road then all of a sudden a car pulls out from a drive you didn't see, or a dog, chicken or child run out of seemingly nowhere and that's the end of your trip to paradise.

If you don't have much experience I'd suggest maybe starting along a beach strip in a relatively un-busy period then once you're feeling confident make a trip into town, get yourself into a bit of traffic, and then eventually hit a highway. Make sure you have experience in all kinds of scenarios before embarking on a big road trip.

While in the UK you could see about taking your CBT. It might be expensive and take a couple of days of your time, but it could also save your life in the long term.

7 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

.then it's a 2000 fine when bike stops by bib get you ..

You are overpaying your bribes by a massive factor.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

As far as I am aware as a resident here: 

1. You MUST have an International Drivers Permit apart from your UKL license.
  2. A foreign license does not allow you to drive here.
  3. This applies to all tourists who wish to ride/drive in LOS.
  4. You cannot drive any vehicle in LOS after 60 days without applying for and holding a Thai license.
  5. If you have insurances for riding or driving that insurance will be voided if you drive beyond the 60 day period without gaining a Thai license.

Not sure where you are getting this from but its mostly incorrect.

The Thai legislation , that has been quoted many times, states Thailand is signatory to all the international treaties and recognizes recipricial use of licenses of other countries. An IDP is technically not required BUT police etc will still want to see one, so its pretty much required. (accompanies your home license)

The Thai legislation does not state any timeframe for use of a home country license, the legislation says a Thai license is required if/when you get a long stay visa/extension (which by default is any longer than 90 day continuous stay). There is no voiding after 60 days, or illeagal after 60 days, there is no 60 days mentioned anywhere in any legislation.

Section 42 of the Thai Motor vehicle act

Section 42 bis.46 In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spambot said:

Having ridden motorcycles for the last 50 years in many countries the “quiet track” would not class as easy or safe. 
If it’s seldom used; it will have sand on the surface in places. It will not be maintained often so will have potholes. It is likely to either have no concrete/tarmac surface in places.

Thai rental motorcycles have narrow tyres, no motorcycle has good breaking or steering  in sand. 
A small wheel scooter is more difficult to master than a regular motorcycle

I do not recommend the journey to and visiting a Thai hospital as part of a holiday you will ever want to repeat.

10 hours ago, spambot said:

Now reviewing the answers to my question by you guys - Seems that motorcycle test is quite a good option - It does not seem like a huge commitment and relatively low cost from reports on the web.

The Thai motorcycle test will not teach you safe riding.

Virtually no holiday insurance will cover you for motorcycle accidents with a license, none without.

• Thanks 1