Is a UK Driving license sufficient for driving a Motorcycle in Thailand?

spambot

10 hours ago, spambot said:

Now reviewing the answers to my question by you guys - Seems that motorcycle test is quite a good option - It does not seem like a huge commitment and relatively low cost from reports on the web.

Is this fairly reasonable and straightforward?

To answer your question, Op…

Legally no. 

To deal with your above question. 
I was able to get a Thai motorcycle licence with my UK driving license.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, spambot said:

Yup - That looks like the only real choice - If wanting to reduce future road risks.

When you are here book a motorbike test with a motorbike training school Honda have some.

Alternative is :- Get the use of or buy a twist and go scooter Honda Clicks are a good choice.

Get a friend who rides scooters and find a quiet off road area to ride up and down and getting use to stop and starting off. 

Get to practice stopping quickly without losing control.

Book a motorcycle test with the DLT office in your area. 

When confident follow your friend on the roads to get practice of finding out how other road users and traffic carry on here. 

Get to pass your test and ride slow ride safe, enjoy. ????

• Like 1

That 'track' along the railwayline in Pattaya is more like a racetrack, nothing quiet about it

with the main roads cutting across at every intersection and traffic lights turned off

getting thai motorbike license means sitting through a whole day of course and test with a private exam centre, or booking months in advance with the department of land transport

not as much of a commitment as CBT in the UK

Many do ride here  and can buy bikes without license no problem, but if you've never ridden bikes before, getting to grip with throttle control, braking as well as Thailand traffic is a mix that results in newspaper headlines we see too often in Pattaya 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

When you get your IDP, the post office will not stamp "motorcycle".

As this is the document that the Thai police check. You will be fined every time you are stopped.

Furthermore, you will not have insurance.

Police in our village don't even know what a IDP is. ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cliveb said:

just saying a lot of BIB show this now a days when you are stopped

a5 traffic card 2022.png

Interested to know where this graphic comes from ? a website ? from the police ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, tandor said:

get an International Driving Licence in your country before you leave and you will be fully covered in any country. You can then apply for Thai Licences if you decide to stay whilst the IL is still valid. First period is 2 years, then each 5 years for a Thai Licence (Car/Bike).

OP has got UK bike on his DL only car hence the questions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

small wheel scooter is more difficult to master than a regular motorcycle

100% correct….. I rode motorcycles 44 years in US and decided it was time to get MC license. Read it’s better to rent a scooter for the driving portion in US … failed 2 times in the circle for putting foot down. 
Next day borrowed my sons 75 ish BMW R75 which is shaft driven and easily passed. 

Got an IDP from AAA in US c along with Car and Motorcycle drivers license. Thai license didn’t have to take driving or written test with valid IDP and US license. Had to take braking test, color, and some sort of depth perception? test that was 5 years ago .. originally 2 years and now 5 years. 

You should be comfortable with driving MC and get some safety training. 
A water Buffalo jumped across to my side of the road… has to lay it down .. stopped inches from a hoof in the wind shield .. with significant scraps …. So be well prepared. 

Brother in law in US rode many years but rode aggressive… dropped my HD Streetglide at light on wet road.. going to fast and stopping last minute results he was in hospital for one week. Couple years later he bought a HD Roadglide ..ran into back of SUV he was going to fast and late braked. It killed him R.I.P.

Edited by DJ54
Add

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I got mine based on UK m'bike licence, but still had to take test.

Out of curiosity why did you have to take a test.

I had motorbike on my photocard UK DL and back in 2002 got both Thai DL's with tests only consisting of a reaction braking time and naming traffic light colours. 

It was then l learnt that Amber is yellow in Thailand. ????????????

2 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Riding a motorbike in Thailand is very dangerous. I would not recommend it. A better alternative would be to rent a car from one of the rental car companies such as Budget car rental.

It's not dangerous in a car then. ????

1 hour ago, Alidiver said:

When you get your IDP, the post office will not stamp "motorcycle".

As this is the document that the Thai police check. You will be fined every time you are stopped.

Furthermore, you will not have insurance.

He will have CTPL govt insurance if the bike has a road tax disc. 

11 hours ago, Enoon said:

Travel insurance issued in the UK will not cover you for operating any vehicle in Thailand unless you possess a licence to operate such a vehicle in the UK. 

If you use a 250cc in Thailand and you do not possess a licence for a 250cc in the UK your travel insurance will not cover you.

Whatever Thai licence you possess is of no interest to your UK insurance company.........they know Thai licences are worthless as an indication of adequate rider/driver competence.

If you can't pass the 125cc test in the UK before you go to Thailand you are ****** as far as coverage by travel insurance is concerned, because the smallest you will find to ride in Thailand will be 110/115/125cc.

But don't let that stop you.......Thai MC rental companies are completely irresponsible and don't give a **** if you live or die.

They will rent you whatever you want and you can easily bribe your way out of any speeding or minor to medium infraction (real, or invented by the RTP) that might involve the uniformed scum that comprise said RTP.........they really are the "Filth".

See you on GoFundMe.

Good point Enoon about the insurance needs a license to cover the same vehicle.

You need an international DL plus and MC endorsement on your home country license.
That's to be legal.  Why worry about the cops?  500 THB fine.  It's if you get in an accident that's your fault.  Insurance won't cover you.  But as they say here in the LOS:
Up To You!

35 minutes ago, connda said:

You need an international DL plus and MC endorsement on your home country license.
That's to be legal.  Why worry about the cops?  500 THB fine.  It's if you get in an accident that's your fault.  Insurance won't cover you.  But as they say here in the LOS:
Up To You!

Oh come on that's a bit unfair knowing mates having accidents and one accident which I had years ago there was no problem for me as a falangie. ????

500 to 1000 baht in most situations sorts things out TiT.  ????????????

18 hours ago, Onerak said:

I don't know a motorcycle with 50CC engine. The smallest I have seen in Thailand is 110cc. If somebody knows a 50CC bike, please let me know. 

Our lawnmower.

Just need a towel to sit on and someone to push you. 

I don't know a motorcycle with 50CC engine. The smallest I have seen in Thailand is 110cc. If somebody knows a 50CC bike, please let me know. 

There are 50cc 2 stoke scooter  bikes in Thailand, maybe Polini 49cc engines don't know haven't had a chance to look at one. 

After reviewing supply online it looks like there is nothing but a very old Honda Dream that for sale, obviously not worth considering.

The other option is eBike, known as 'electrically assisted pedal cycles' ( EAPCs ). In the UK You do not need a licence to ride one and it does not need to be registered, taxed or insured.

My assumption would be that this is the same in Thailand?

15 minutes ago, spambot said:

The other option is eBike, known as 'electrically assisted pedal cycles' ( EAPCs ). In the UK You do not need a licence to ride one and it does not need to be registered, taxed or insured.

eBikes are not needed to be licensed and you don't need a driving permit to drive it in Thailand also. It does not have a license plate. My friend has one. I was going to buy but my old yamaha Nuevo is now ok for me to run in back alleys. Bolt is for all other transport. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, spambot said:

After reviewing supply online it looks like there is nothing but a very old Honda Dream that for sale, obviously not worth considering.

My assumption would be that this is the same in Thailand?

Lots of bikes you can ride in Thailand electric and engine ones to ride if you want pay fines without DL. 

The problem is if you cause a serious accident.

received_813569543106380.jpeg.04e9326bc8470ad318985b8daf6ebb89.jpeg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Lots of bikes you can ride in Thailand electric and engine ones to ride if you want pay fines without DL. 

The problem is if you cause a serious accident.

received_813569543106380.jpeg.04e9326bc8470ad318985b8daf6ebb89.jpeg

Ha - Yup - You are right Kwasaki - It's between a rock and a hard place decision.

Life is just a Dilemma!

45 minutes ago, Onerak said:

eBikes are not needed to be licensed and you don't need a driving permit to drive it in Thailand also. It does not have a license plate. My friend has one. I was going to buy but my old yamaha Nuevo is now ok for me to run in back alleys. Bolt is for all other transport. 

Brilliant clarification Onerak - Thanks for that.

23 hours ago, jvs said:

Being stopped by the BIB is not the problem

If you get into some kind of accident,that is where you will have a big problem.

Most travel insurance policies do not allow for being on a motorbike,even on the back.

Most motorbike rentals only have the minimum insurance,pays up to 50

000 baht i believe.

If you hurt someone you may have to pay the hospital bill,this is the stuff

nightmares are made off.

2000 BAHT fine not a problem ? All those just arrived need to remember it went up3 months ago from 500 Baht 

Edited by pixelaoffy