Former Trump aide gets 4 months for defying Jan. 6 committee

Scott

image.png

Bannon defended his decision not to comply with the Jan. 6 committee's subpoena and said the notion that he thinks he is above the law "is an absolute and total lie."

Speaking outside the courthouse following his sentencing, the former Trump adviser said that there will be "multiple areas of appeal" by his legal team.

"On November 8, they're gonna have a judgment on the illegitimate Biden regime and quite frankly, and quite frankly, that Nancy Pelosi and the entire committee, and we know which way that’s going,"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/live-blog/steve-bannon-sentencing-live-updates-rcna53012

NBC's Memorable Peacock Design Is Instantly Recognizable With Its Bright  Colors & Iconic Shape | DesignRush

7 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Not sure if 4 months is standard sentencing for people who do not answer congressional subpoenas. If it is, fair enough. 

I think when a defendant loses a case and not only expresses no remorse, but doesn't indicate he will obey the law in the future, anything less than the max is merciful.

"Nichols said that Bannon had failed to show responsibility for his conduct, a factor that ultimately led the judge to a heavier punishment. “He has expressed no remorse for his actions,” Nichols said during the proceedings, and the judge stressed that Bannon had not demonstrated that he would comply with the subpoenas...

There were “problems,” the judge said, with Bannon’s position that Trump made an assertion of executive privilege that prevented Bannon testifying or turning over any documents."

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/21/politics/steve-bannon-sentencing-contempt-congress/index.html

Judge Nichol was nominated for the position by Donald Trump.

23 minutes ago, pegman said:

I just hope he doesn't serve it in some club fed but in the Washington, D.C. jail. Let him try doing some of this performance art in there. Won't work out well for this racist 

The white power types will protect him.  I read there are jails where the "patriots" are kept separately from the other criminals, probably for their own protection.  I'd like to see this dip thrown into general population: he'll probably be out of there in less than four months, but he won't be breathing that long.  But maybe a threat to his life on the inside will be part of the sentence appeal.

I once mentioned club fed on TVF a few years back a lot of very bright lads lit into me for mentioning something that doesn't exist.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Trump has now been subpoenaed to appear before congress. 

I'd bet that the Bannon sentencing was taken as a green light for this subpoena.

Edited by bendejo

14 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Travesty of justice by allowing Bannon to sleep at home awaiting appeal rather than straight to jail. He will be free as a bird for the expected long duration of the appeal process. Justice not served for an evil man. 

They're not stopping him from broadcasting, or are they?

Like when Manafort was out on bail, they let him get away with witness intimidation over the phone from home.

The guy likes his drink (it's as plain as the nose on his face ???? ), four months detox looms ahead.

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 6:34 PM, Eric Loh said:

Travesty of justice by allowing Bannon to sleep at home awaiting appeal rather than straight to jail. He will be free as a bird for the expected long duration of the appeal process. Justice not served for an evil man. 

??????????????

Is he a threat to society or a flight risk? IMO that is the only reason to deny bail.

How many Americans that are not either are remanded?

On 10/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Hanaguma said:

You may have a point. "Not my President" merely sounds petulant and whiny and immature.  "Not the president" is different, and worse IMHO.  But using "illegitimate" leans more towards the latter. It is a legal term rather than emotional.  Both imply not accepting reality. 

For me, both are idiotic. I am no fan of Justin Trudeau and would happily see him ejected from office, yet he is both "my Prime Minister" AND "the Prime Minister".  We have to accept results we don't like. 

For some, only the "right sort" of political person deserves lawful rights. Apparently people they don't like should be incarcerated without due process.

Democracy seemingly only applies to persons they approve of.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

??????????????

Is he a threat to society or a flight risk? IMO that is the only reason to deny bail.

How many Americans that are not either are remanded?

Where to start. SB is a threat to society, democracy, dangerous political operative and guilty of contempt of Congress. Reason he was allowed bail was that the judge was a Trump appointee. He should be treated like every ordinary citizen and go straight to jail. 

• Like 2