Pink and Yellow lines monorail services to open for free public trial in December

webfact

image.jpeg

by Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government remains committed to improving Thailand’s transportation infrastructure, aiming to elevate people’s quality of life through better transport linkages.

More progress has been made in the construction of the Pink and Yellow lines monorail rapid transit systems. Both lines will open for free public trial in December.

The Pink Line monorail system runs from Khae Rai in Nonthaburi to Minburi in Bangkok. Classified as one of the “secondary” rapid transit routes, the Pink Line enables travel to and from the government complex on Chaeng Watthana Rd.

The 34.5-kilometer line also enables commutes to and from Nonthaburi government complex. There are 30 stations along the route, with the first station located at Nonthaburi government complex on Rattanathibet Rd.

The end station, Minburi Station, is situated near Ramkhamhaeng Soi 192 in Bangkok and will link to the Orange Line metro service. Users of the Pink Line will also be able to transit to the Purple Line metro system.

The Yellow Line monorail system runs from the Ratchada-Lat Phrao intersection in Bangkok to the Samrong area of Samut Prakan.

The 30-kilometer route services a number of Bangkok’s dense residential and commercial areas. There are 23 stations, with the first being Ratchadaphisek station.

Users of the line will be able to transit to many other rapid transit services, including the Blue Line, Green Line, Gray Line, and Orange Line. The Yellow Line also links to the Airport Rail Link system at a junction on Rama 9 Rd.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG221022090659114

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-10-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

I live very near to the yellow line and this is nowhere near complete.

In fact, it is going so slow, I thought at one stage that they had stopped works on it.

I seriously doubt that the yellow line will open this year, maybe they mean December next year.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

In fact, it is going so slow, I thought at one stage that they had stopped works on it.

I seriously doubt that the yellow line will open this year, maybe they mean December next year.

I thought the same. Perhaps the yellow line is only partially opening, which sometimes happens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I also live very near the Yellow line.  But seeing activity below the line on Lat Phrao road.  They appear to be, slowly, removing and repairing the barriered areas.  And a BTS train was sighted recently traveling on the overhead line. They have a month plus before their projected December date of trial runnings.   We certainly live in hope!  If nothing more than to return the still blocked roadways that turn Lat Phrao into a never ending traffic jam, both directions.

7 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I thought the same. Perhaps the yellow line is only partially opening, which sometimes happens. 

Anyone who has gone past either of these lines knows that these have to be partial openings, so I can't understand why none of the press coverage mentions this. Each time that opening dates were announced in the past (they all went by the wayside), the government made specific mention of exactly which stations would be serviced in the beginning and which would open later. 

On 10/22/2022 at 5:57 PM, khunjeff said:

Anyone who has gone past either of these lines knows that these have to be partial openings, so I can't understand why none of the press coverage mentions this. Each time that opening dates were announced in the past (they all went by the wayside), the government made specific mention of exactly which stations would be serviced in the beginning and which would open later. 

Orignal partial opening date was Oct last year which became June this year and then September and now is Jan 2023.

The BSR (owner & operator) has been doing some full line test runs for the MRTA Yellow line in the last 3 weeks. The headline is misleading as there are only some special ticketed runs planned for December at this stage.

The actual opening for is not planned until January with a free period, probably later in the month and only from Phawana (Y2) to Samrong ie. not Latphrao station. (The previous opening plan for last year and mid this year was for the more advanced southern section of a line from Samrong to Hua Mark)

For the MRTA Pink Line, it is planned to open the first section in Feb or more likely March. The 1st stage opening will run from Minburi to the Govt Complex. (except for two stations). Mid year the 2nd stage willopen from Govt complex to Tiwanon rd.

The last stage to Nonthaburi Provicial office will open in around 1 year as the station site had to moved 350m east due to supposedly blocking the views of the provincial office staff. 

In other news the MRTA Orange line construction will be completed by the end of this year/very early 2023. Unfortunately, the MRTA stuffed up the tender to operate that line and order rolling stock - it is still not done - so you'll need to wait until June 2025 to use it!!

MRTA Purple line southern ext started construction 3 months ago as is around 3.5% advanced

spacer.png

• Thanks 2

On 10/27/2022 at 6:57 PM, Lakegeneve said:

Unfortunately, the MRTA stuffed up the tender to operate that line and order rolling stock - it is still not done - so you'll need to wait until June 2025 to use it!!

Absolutely grotesque - and this isn't the first time something like this has happened, either. In any other country there would be an uproar over this incredible waste, but here there's just stoic acceptance ☹️