Your Top 3 Thai Dishes

8 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Same here, same as Tom Yam which I am fed up with!

Rather eat Sok Lek or Laab Nuea Dip!

Pad Thai is a very complicated dish. I was floored when my wife showed me how many ingredients go in there and it is one of the more complicated dishes to prepare - although it does not look like it !

And on another note: Something "basic" may be very delicious. Much depends on the ingredients and their freshness - like in O-Toro Sashimi. Not Thai but just as an example. Same for Tom Yam.

Then I suspect you not really eat Mot Daeng or Dip. But I am inferring here something on myself. Would not touch it.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Pad Thai is a very complicated dish. I was floored when my wife showed me how many ingredients go in there and it is one of the more complicated dishes to prepare - although it does not look like it !

And on another note: Something "basic" may be very delicious. Much depends on the ingredients and their freshness - like in O-Toro Sashimi. Not Thai but just as an example. Same for Tom Yam.

Then I suspect you not really eat Mot Daeng or Dip. But I am inferring here something on myself. Would not touch it.

I made Pad Thai. Easy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Just one of those things where as a Kid I wouldn’t eat it (my neighbour kept all kinds of birds & raced pigeons & it somehow get wrong to eat a bird - though I do like duck ????)

When I was a kid in Australia, chicken was a luxury we had about once a month. The staple meat was lamb chops, roast leg of lamb, mutton stew.

Now, chicken is as common as dog turds on a soi, and lamb of any description is as dear as poison. What happened?

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

When I was a kid in Australia, chicken was a luxury we had about once a month. The staple meat was lamb chops, roast leg of lamb, mutton stew.

Now, chicken is as common as dog turds on a soi, and lamb of any description is as dear as poison. What happened?

Freshly killed Lamb is amazing

• Thanks 1

Many of the dishes listed are heavily influenced by food from neighboring countries.

My three favorite long time traditional central Thai dishes:

- gang keowan gai (green curry with chicken)

- gang taypo moo (ong choy, makroot fruit+leaves, pork, coconut milk, tamarind)

- pla chon todd (deep fried snake head fish with herbs or with yum mango sauce)

For Northern dishes:

- Chiang Mai larb nur (ground beef, mahkwen spice, eaten with pug pai leaves/cabbage/cucumber)

- khao soi moo (traditional Northern noodles with red curry broth, pork, shallots, pickled cabbage)

Gang taypo is such an old dish that it is hard to find these days.  My wife had forgotten about it until we came across it last year.  It has since shot to near the top of my chart!

• Like 2

1. Tom Yum Kung (I consider it a thai comfort food and probably I can eat it for a long time without getting bored)

2. Stir fried chicken with cashew nut (Influenced by CHinese cooking techniques)
3. Massaman curry (Influenced by Malaysian/Indian curry with lots of spices)

There are a few others I don't know their names but you won't find them as street foods . They are only sold in Thai restaurants in Malls (not in food courts) and influenced heavily by Indian/Chinese/Malaysian cooking techniques/cuisine

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

Hmmmm...top 3....difficult one, because a lot depends on my mood, and sometimes I eat my favourites too many times and get bored of them. 

At the moment I would say these 3 dishes:

1.  Pad Prik Sot Gai.  Stir fry fresh big chillies with chicken.  Sounds boring but it tastes crunchy and fresh and not too filling.  While not very fancy, I eat this dish the most.

2.  Kaw Op Saparot Talay.  Baked pineapple rice with mixed seafood.  This must have raisins and cashew nuts in it too...and shredded dry pork on top.  Must be in a pineapple half...and BAKED not fried.  Most of my Thai friends dont like it as they say it's too sweet.

3.  Moo Prik Thai Dam.  Pork stir fried with black pepper.  

I am sorry, but I have to add a number  4.  I don't know what the Thai name is it is.  It's pumpkin chunks with scrambled egg.  I add chopped small chillies and fish sauce to spice it up. I think it's a Southern Thai dish..

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Khao Man Gai

Duck noodle soup

Chicken Satay with Spicy Som Tam with Bala and crab.

They are not Thai dishes!  Khao man Gai is from Singapore, so is duck noodle soup (Chinese influence), and Chicken Satay comes from Malaysia/ Indonesia.  But the Som Tam is Thai. Lol. ????

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, 2009 said:

You are aware that it has been part of Thai cuisine for a very long time tho right? Bro

But isn't that like saying your favourite British food is sweet and sour pork, chicken korma, and a Kebab.....as they have been part of British 'cuisine' for a very long time.

Edited by jak2002003
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, 2009 said:

You are aware that it has been part of Thai cuisine for a very long time tho right? Bro

that doesn't make it Thai. just like us, regardless of how long we've been here.

Edited by Lemsta69

Really hard to narrow down to just three, but here's a try:

Nam Ngiew  (Northern-style pork soup)

Khao Na Phet

Moo Nam Tok

There are quite a few uncommon, northern-style Thai dishes my wife makes, but I don't know their correct names. My wife is a great cook - I'm a lucky guy!

On 10/23/2022 at 9:15 PM, jak2002003 said:

They are not Thai dishes!  Khao man Gai is from Singapore, so is duck noodle soup (Chinese influence), and Chicken Satay comes from Malaysia/ Indonesia.  But the Som Tam is Thai. Lol. ????

This is sad - using your intelligence to be a  ???? ???? ???? 

Do you not realize that cuisines have influences from other places? Lol. Like, duh ????

And somtam is Laotian, by the way, if you wanna be like that.  ???????? (I know, mind blowing, right?)

Edited by 2009
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 2009 said:

So, papaya salad isn't Thai? Sticky rice isn't Thai? They're Laotian, by the way.

The southern curries aren't Thai? They Malaysian.

Give us a break. Lol

You are gonna narrow us down to only the Central Thai dishes (which mostly suck) and half of them you'll say are Chinese, lol.

You have any idea what makes a country? People from different places. Lol. You don't seem to understand how cuisines works and that external influences happen.

Anyone know how long chicken on rice has been served in Thailand? Lol. Long enough to be considered Thai, I think.

And I am sure the kind they have in China is not exactly like it is here. It'll be different. I never saw Thai style chicken rice in China.

And I didn't realize that China had a patent on chicken on top of rice. That's a new one on me ????

Tacos and bangers and mash have been in Thailand for years. Using your logic, they are Thai food. Right?

9 hours ago, 2009 said:

Interesting point.

British style Chinese food only exists in Britain, and it's just served to the Brits. It ain't Chinese food, that's for sure! Chinese people don't eat that. It ain't their cuisine.

So, if you can't call it British cuisine, then what do you call it?

I thought that the British style Chinese food was similar to what they eat in Hong Kong, not mainland China.