Your Top 3 Thai Dishes

1 hour ago, bang saen guy said:

Tacos and bangers and mash have been in Thailand for years. Using your logic, they are Thai food. Right?

I think there should be a sensible threshold somewhere.

Logically, if it is eaten regularly (almost daily in some cases, lol) by enough Thais then it's part of Thai cuisine (e.g. papaya salad, southern curry).

This cannot be said for tacos or bangers n mash.

Very few Thais have ever even tried those, nevermind adopted them in their regular diet.

Let's try to be sensible here. 

To say papaya salad isn't Thai food, is like saying everyone in Isaan isn't Thai.

Isaan people are Thai. They eat papaya salad in their regular diet Thus, it has become part of Thai cuisine. It has Laotian roots though and a longer history in that country.

Same can be said for the southern curries and chicken over rice etc. etc.

By your logic, you might as well say chilli peppers aren't part of Thai cuisine since they didn't naturally grow here. They were brought here by the Portuguese and Spanish. The Thais then started cultivating them.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

For me it's Kaeng Liang (pumpkin curry), Pad Siew Moo (pork & veg w/ large noodles), and my go-to favourite; Phad Krapow Gai, Kai Dao (Chicken, basil on rice with a fried egg). It's usually the first meal I order any time I come back to Thailand.

• 3 months later...

On a trip around the North of Thailand at the moment & tried Khao Soi (Beef) for the 1st time… Loved it ????????

Also tried a Burmese (should this be Myamarese now?)   Jungle curry that was very nice…

Oh & I found that the Massaman Beef curry at the places on “Muslim street” ( don’t know it’s proper name but it’s near Chiang Mai Night Bazaar) was much  more like  Indonesian/Malaysian Beef Rendang which I love. 

Am off to Udon Thani tmr,  any must eat recommendations for food there?

1 Phad Chad Moo Gorp 

2 Koiteaw Nam / Koiteaw Sukothai (clear and tom yam)

3 Pak-Gou Thot w/ various sauces

4 Phad Kaprow Neua

5 Phad Kee Mao Talay

6 Gaeng Masaman Neua

7 Khao Soi Gai

8 Som Tam Khao Putd

9 Phad Prik Khing Gai 

10 Phad Thai Talay (noodles not sticky)

* Any BBQ

Edited by SuperSilverHaze

On 10/23/2022 at 4:27 PM, 2009 said:

I'm a huge fan of the yellow rice with chicken (khao mook gai) particularly fried chicken and if there are any chicken livers to go on top, damn, that's heaven!

I'd add a fried egg to it if I could. Duck egg, preferably.

Khao Mook Gai is Muslim. Readily available in Malaysia.

Chinese - Khao Man Gai. Probably more popular in Malaysia than in Thailand.

You're batting 1000 bro

Edited by SuperSilverHaze

1 hour ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Khao Mook Gai is Muslim. Readily available in Malaysia.

Chinese - Khao Man Gai. Probably more popular in Malaysia than in Thailand.

You're batting 1000 bro

Khao Mok Gai is based of the subcontinent/Middle eastern Biryani, The Thai version is substantially different enough to be considered their own

Chicken Rice.... the only major difference from Chinese/Singaporean version is the dipping sauce so I wouldn't consider it unique Thai dish

The various noodle soup variants has also diverged from Chinese origins to be considered Thai in their own rights too

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Not really a Thai dish, all the curries (red, yellow, green) are only really offered in Tourist areas.

I beg to differ.

A proper green curry paste is made with lots of fresh herbs and spices. All broken down and mixed with a mortar and pestle. Nothing like that pre-prepared paste one buys from the local market. 

Though it is the paste that gives it it's name, it usually isn't that bright green you see in the markets. I presume that is down to added colouring. Its actually more of a greenish - brown colour.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I beg to differ.

A proper green curry paste is made with lots of fresh herbs and spices. All broken down and mixed with a mortar and pestle. Nothing like that pre-prepared paste one buys from the local market. 

Though it is the paste that gives it it's name, it usually isn't that bright green you see in the markets. I presume that is down to added colouring. Its actually more of a greenish - brown colour.

Sorry,

I've only seen Thai curry offered in Tourist areas.

Don't care about where the paste is purchased or prepared.

Up in Nan ........ no curry in Thai restaurants.

10Km from Chiang Mai moat ....... no curry in Thai restaurants.

Petchabun ......... no curry in Thai restaurants.

If I want a curry (Thai or Indian), I have to drive into CM, plenty of curries sold around the moat.

Edited by BritManToo

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not really a Thai dish, all the curries (red, yellow, green) are only really offered in Tourist areas.

LOL ..... my Thai family would say: "you silly farang".  Red and green curry are traditional central Thai dishes.  Thais consider those dishes too simple to order at a restaurant.  They do buy it at open markets and from local street vendors during the day.  Central dwelling Thais don't want to order it from restaurants because they eat it all the time at home.

All the places that you mention that don't serve curry..... they're all in Northern Thailand and they serve what the locals like... and it isn't curry.  Thai food varies greatly from region to region.  You should know better than to generalize from you experience around CM to ALL of Thailand.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

I beg to differ.

I have to disagree.  The pre-prepared pastes are excellent if bought from the correct vendor.  Go to the vendor where you see about 20 different pastes piled up in big ceramic bowls.  A good green curry paste is much more green than brown.  The canned and the plastic pouch versions of curry paste are the ones to avoid.

I recommend you only buy your curry paste in a large open market located in Central Thailand around Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Chaochengsao, etc.  That area is the home of that type of curry.

My wife is from central Thailand and is an awesome cook with excellent english. She teaches me all about Thai food and how to select quality ingredients.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I want a curry (Thai or Indian), I have to drive into CM, plenty of curries sold around the moat.

You should be able to find gang hung lay as it's a northern specialty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaeng_hang_le

Edited by gamb00ler

My wife makes a very good vegetarian Glass Noodle Salad (Yum Woon Sen) ยำวุ้นเส้น.  I like it hot and sour.

And not Thai, but her vegetarian deep-fried Vietnamese spring rolls are to die for.  She uses glass noodles, bean curd and I think mouse ear mushrooms (tree fungus) as filling, among other things.  The tamarind/peanut/chili sauce is good.  They are time consuming to make so we don't have them often.  I usually get enlisted to prep the rice paper wrappers as they stick together.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

So this is about one's favorite food poisoning.

There is no such thing as good food in Thailand, at least if someone is looking for healthy food. Nobody knows how to cook, nobody.

Cheap bad oil, heated at a point where the oil gets toxic. Smell is horrible.

Then laced with sugar, lots of it. The only way that they know to give anything a flavor. All sauces are loaded with white sugar. Good oil, nah, too expensive for any Thai kitchen here. I use exclusively olive oil at home, and sometimes coconut oil. Nothing else.

So brace yourself for diabetes and arthritis. on the long run.

The odd chicken with rice, (no sauce please).

Otherwise, I will not eat any of that type of food. None.

And my health got so much better. ????

Picture of sugar stock at Super Cheap mini mart, on stocking day, and then some 10 days later. Not even a need to bring the sugar inside the store...

Sugar stock at Super Cheap mart.jpg

Sugar stock, 10 days later.jpg

I tend to agree with your thinking, cheap ingredients and full of sugars etc. certainly not healthy.

best Thai food I have had was in Canada.

thai family owned restaurants using quality ingredients. And the health department doing regular inspections,( as in every establishment) then a grade is posted in the front window!

fabulous food. 
bangkok does have great Thai restaurants but with this quality comes price!

can’t expect much for 60-80 baht now can we?

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

So this is about one's favorite food poisoning.

There is no such thing as good food in Thailand, at least if someone is looking for healthy food. Nobody knows how to cook, nobody.

Cheap bad oil, heated at a point where the oil gets toxic. Smell is horrible.

Then laced with sugar, lots of it. The only way that they know to give anything a flavor. All sauces are loaded with white sugar. Good oil, nah, too expensive for any Thai kitchen here. I use exclusively olive oil at home, and sometimes coconut oil. Nothing else.

So brace yourself for diabetes and arthritis. on the long run.

The odd chicken with rice, (no sauce please).

Otherwise, I will not eat any of that type of food. None.

And my health got so much better. ????

Picture of sugar stock at Super Cheap mini mart, on stocking day, and then some 10 days later. Not even a need to bring the sugar inside the store...

Sugar stock at Super Cheap mart.jpg

Sugar stock, 10 days later.jpg

Order healthy food, you get healthy food.

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Order healthy food, you get healthy food.

Of course. But I walked all over Phuket town, and no such thing as healthy food there...

"Pad Thai, oh what is the red sauce do you use? " "It is ketchup". Hehe. "Do you have dishes without sugar? Hummm, oh yes we have. But what about the sauces? Oh they come from Super Cheap mini-mart.". Just about all contain 20% of added sugar. Fish sauce perhaps could be an exception. But it limits the number of dishes...

Some years ago, I paid $1,000 dollars for my neighbors, mother and daughter, who wanted to go take a specialty cooking course in Bangkok.

When they came back, they just said, it was all about adding sugar and MSG to flavor the dishes. They could not believe it, same as in Phuket...

16 minutes ago, Northstar1 said:

I tend to agree with your thinking, cheap ingredients and full of sugars etc. certainly not healthy.

best Thai food I have had was in Canada.

thai family owned restaurants using quality ingredients. And the health department doing regular inspections,( as in every establishment) then a grade is posted in the front window!

fabulous food. 
bangkok does have great Thai restaurants but with this quality comes price!

can’t expect much for 60-80 baht now can we?

It is entirely possible to cook a dish with olive or coconut oil, tasty, for 80 bahts. Good oil, no more than 10 or 20 bahts worth, sure. But now even for 100 bahts, one gets very little...

28 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Of course. But I walked all over Phuket town, and no such thing as healthy food there...

"Pad Thai, oh what is the red sauce do you use? " "It is ketchup". Hehe. "Do you have dishes without sugar? Hummm, oh yes we have. But what about the sauces? Oh they come from Super Cheap mini-mart.". Just about all contain 20% of added sugar. Fish sauce perhaps could be an exception. But it limits the number of dishes...

Some years ago, I paid $1,000 dollars for my neighbors, mother and daughter, who wanted to go take a specialty cooking course in Bangkok.

When they came back, they just said, it was all about adding sugar and MSG to flavor the dishes. They could not believe it, same as in Phuket...

And yet, I have no problem eating healthy, when I want, no matter where I visit.  Agree, it can be a challenge, but far from impossible. 

Simply choose wisely, and you can ask them, not to add sugar or MSG, if you have negative effects from them.

Think you need better research before ordering.  Who adds ketchup to Pad Thai.   Maybe a bit of siracha/chili sauce, but usually served on the side.

Edited by KhunLA