Crackdown On Duty-free Cigarettes

george

Duty-free cigarettes next target

BANGKOK: -- Cigarettes and tobacco products will not be available in duty-free shops worldwide if a new anti-smoking protocol proposed by Thailand is approved in principle at an international convention to be held in Bangkok later this month.

Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla said yesterday that approval by the Ministerial Committee of the 2nd Framework Convention on Tobacco Protocol would make cigarettes and tobacco products sold in duty-free shops around the world subject to customs duty.

The proposal also bars international advertising of cigarettes on online media and local visual media, including billboard displays or through promotional campaigns or sponsorship events. As a result, websites featuring or advertising cigarettes will be blocked - in Thailand.

All conditions will be enforced globally if the protocol is approved by the 161-country committee during its meeting from June 30 to July 6, and eventually passed by the so-called Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Thailand signed the convention in June 2003 and ratified it in November 2004.

The Bt10-million Convention will see 600-800 participants from member countries. Thailand, led by Dr Hathai Chitanont, chairman of the Thailand Health Promotion institute, will lead 10 countries from Southeast Asia.

Thailand has been recognised for its strict measures on anti-smoking campaigns and tobacco control.

--The Nation 2007-06-27

Duty-free cigarettes next target

BANGKOK: -- Cigarettes and tobacco products will not be available in duty-free shops worldwide if a new anti-smoking protocol proposed by Thailand is approved in principle at an international convention to be held in Bangkok later this month.

Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla said yesterday that approval by the Ministerial Committee of the 2nd Framework Convention on Tobacco Protocol would make cigarettes and tobacco products sold in duty-free shops around the world subject to customs duty.

The proposal also bars international advertising of cigarettes on online media and local visual media, including billboard displays or through promotional campaigns or sponsorship events. As a result, websites featuring or advertising cigarettes will be blocked - in Thailand.

All conditions will be enforced globally if the protocol is approved by the 161-country committee during its meeting from June 30 to July 6, and eventually passed by the so-called Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Thailand signed the convention in June 2003 and ratified it in November 2004.

The Bt10-million Convention will see 600-800 participants from member countries. Thailand, led by Dr Hathai Chitanont, chairman of the Thailand Health Promotion institute, will lead 10 countries from Southeast Asia.

Thailand has been recognised for its strict measures on anti-smoking campaigns and tobacco control.

--The Nation 2007-06-27

Phew, even the Nazis didnt go this far. :o   (Nazis banned smoking - google it)

Edited by observer21

Minister Mongkol will be a popular man with those airport authorities round the world who derive a large slice of their income from duty-free sales. He'll also be popular with the airlines who'll have to pay increased landing charges if his plan goes through :o

With the exception of Germany (exporter of cigs) he will get alot of support in the EU. In North America only Canada would back that. They have already eliminated the tax break on duty free cigs from abroad. I don't see China or the Middle East backing it though. The African and Carribean nations for the most part willl gladly sell their votes.

sooooooo, I doubt i would pass.

I believe they will find it very difficult - from what i understand many of the so called duty free "cigs" are repacked after shelf life expires bound for sale in many a duty free shop.(hence you are fighting the tobacco industry??)

Before you go off the deep end, next time you purchase some ciggys at said DF shop try smelling one and then comparing it with same brand recently purchased locally.

Mijan24 (non smoker) (source good friend from the tobacco industry). :o

Edited by mijan24

Minister Mongkol will be a popular man with those airport authorities round the world who derive a large slice of their income from duty-free sales. He'll also be popular with the airlines who'll have to pay increased landing charges if his plan goes through :o

Indeed. As popular as the airport at Singapore (which doesn't allow duty free ciggies either).

Great move; smokers are the losers of the planet. The less of them the better.

Remember , once the goverments have finished off the smokers ,

they will turn there attention to the drinkers,

just leave us alone please

what is worse someone smoking near you,,

or a drunk wanting to take the world on shouting and swearing ??

Edited by colino

A drunk wanting to take on the world. At least he will feel a twaat in the morning and the phase will pass (either into unconsiousness or the effects will wear off).

Smokers are twaats 24 hours a day! And the more stupid analogies to other vices the more fragile your futile existance (as a smoker) looks.

Cool, ha!

they should close down the smoking rooms at the airport first...

SLPN

Indeed. As popular as the airport at Singapore (which doesn't allow duty free ciggies either).

AH

:D

smoker is worse, because they have bad breath and are bad for kissing.*

Drunkard women tend to be easier to 'bed'.*

Of course, sometimes they have some issues with hygiene, so it does vary a little.*

Most people who shout and swear when drunk do so when not drunk as well.*

And also...most people who smoke are also the type who get drunk as well.*

* completely baseless observations, based no a sample of someone I met once.

We really need to come up with a replacement for the word "crackdown"

Why don't we call them the sin nazis. No ciggies, no booze, no movies, I'm starting to feel like a child here.

You forgot to add bed time & lights out by 9.00pm, and abstinance.

Why don't we call them the sin nazis. No ciggies, no booze, no movies, I'm starting to feel like a child here.

Oh yeah, and they're taking those nice short skirts away from us too. I want my mommyyyy.

Get a life will you.With all the pollution in the world you decry abit of tobbacco smoke.Yet you will fill your 4x4 up with d or p & drive around polluting everybodys lungs with the fumes {get real & give your head a good wobble }

Oh yeah, and they're taking those nice short skirts away from us too. I want my mommyyyy.

Well that take all the motivation out of living. Nothing to do but be an automaton for somebody else's wet dream.

I'm off to View Talay.

Never see you again!

Soundman.

Get a life will you.With all the pollution in the world you decry abit of tobbacco smoke.Yet you will fill your 4x4 up with d or p & drive around polluting everybodys lungs with the fumes {get real & give your head a good wobble }

ok here is something that may shock a few people here, we have been brain washed about smoking by our health experts and governments for years - yes it is harmful, but just how harmful is it ?

Do you none smokers believe that cigarette smoke is the most harmful element you breath into your lungs everyday, well i got news for you - it isn't by a very very long way, gases produced from the burning of fossil fuels are the most toxic element you can inhale into your lungs far exceeding cigarette smoke, yes we see statistic produced from various sources about lung cancers etc etc, but how many of these surveys include the inhalation of extremely toxic fumes we are all exposed to every day sitting in traffic jams or just driving around

i'm not endorsing smoking - it is bad for you full stop, but it sure ain't the worst we are ALL exposed to everyday not by a long shot

Yes smokers do smell ( but so do drunks all sweaty and pissy)

Yes smokers breath smells (but so do drinkers sometimes of puke)

yes drunk girls can be easier to bed i agree

most smokers do not have a few cigs and start shouting and become a pain in the arse

drunks do

and yes most smokers drink i agree

there is no real point to this post im just bored

cigs are cheaper at the thai borders than in duty free so can stock up before a flight and the minister can go FH with a bong.

Public Health Minister? lmfao. Go and do something positive for the health of YOUR public.

imnsho

rych

I am about as anti-smoking as anyone can get. When I was in school, I was in student resources for student government. We changed the great American smoke out day to "Anti - Smoking day ** Tell a smoker how you REALLY feel about his/her smoking ** It was a great success, as many smokers woke up to how insensitive they were being to people that don't smoke. I'm sorry, but I don't care if you want to kill yourself smoking, its up to you and none of my business. When you blow it in my face then it becomes my business. Too many insensitive smokers are ruining it for the ones that are sensitive enough to keep it out of others faces. So.. line em up and shoot em down. I am on the bandwagon for complete elimination of public smoking. hel_l, round em up and put them in fenced camps ... well maybe not that extreme.. Not yet anyway :o

Edited by swain

HOw scandalous!!!!! HOw dare you say that!!!!

I have stuck on the 4X4 stickers, and the big wheels, but my pickup is really only a 2 wheel drive. Any more baseless accusations like this and you aren't allowed to be my non-gay lover ANYMORE.

There is plenty of pollution. There are also lots of health problems. Smoking = health problems and pollution. You do not even want to know some of my ideas for improving the environment. I doubt you would want to know my extreme ideas for consumption taxes that wickedly punish anyone who isn't snowboarding/wakeboarding/rat-a-tat-tatting dat etc.

I simply feel that cigarettes should be cost reflective, and self funding, to ensure that if people want to smoke, then they pay a fair price for doing so. Let the market decide, with no asymetric information regarding the health issues. Duty free allowance is in effect a punishment for someone not rich enough to travel abroad to buy them. Is that fair? Surely if smokers are all in favour of solidarity, then you should stand up for the rights of the impoverished to also be able to buy cheap ciggies?

What do we want?

Flat price cigarettes

When do we want them?

Now

WE SHALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED etc etc

So.... really why should King Power and other duty free outlets make sales and the Thai Govt not collect tax on it?

Seems fine to me, and I am willing to conclude that on the rights of poor people who also should deserve the right to develop lung cancer at the same cost as foreign travellers OR cost reflectiveness OR because I don't have a 4X4.

Note that petrol is not sold duty free. At least not that I know of. I have not brought any in the last few trips. Might have changed. Ditto for coal; I can distinctly recalling paying duty on that 500 tonnes I brought in as hand luggage the other week from Indo.

I think this thread is moving off the topic a little--not sure, though. It is entertaining I admit.

I don't exactly know how people can argue about smoking. It is a fact that smoking is bad for your health--pretty much verified everywhere it's been studied. It has no redeeming qualities.

It is, however bad, a habit which some people enjoy and others cannot manage to kick. For whatever reason, it does need to be controlled, but I don't think further vilifcation of smokers is necessary.

They do need to be polite with their smoking.

Now, the point with this Dr. M., is that he likes to take on these big issues which aren't really his responsibility. Banning duty free cigs will have little effect on the health of Thai citizens. So just who will it benefit?

I am a smokers and would love to give up but that is not the subject.

If you live in Thailand, why worry about Duty Free when you go abroad? The saving is irrelevant. Depending how long I leave Thailand for, I just go to 7Elevan or similar, Buy a box (10 x 20 cigs) or 2, pack them in my main suitcase and forget about it. No carrying as hand luggage and when I get to my destination - usually England - my saving is so great who cares about the extra few Baht saved.

p.s. sorry if my smoke pollutes any of you!!

I am a smokers and would love to give up but that is not the subject.

If you live in Thailand, why worry about Duty Free when you go abroad? The saving is irrelevant. Depending how long I leave Thailand for, I just go to 7Elevan or similar, Buy a box (10 x 20 cigs) or 2, pack them in my main suitcase and forget about it. No carrying as hand luggage and when I get to my destination - usually England - my saving is so great who cares about the extra few Baht saved.

p.s. sorry if my smoke pollutes any of you!!

fags are so cheap in thailand it does'nt matter about duty free ,if you were brought up in the 60s as i was it was cool to smoke and advertisers told you that ,people who have never smoked dont seem to understand that quitting smoking is harder to crack than giving up hard drugs a documentry proved this not so long ago ....and i drive a 4x4 :o