Good Thai Grub in Bangkok

Simple and reliable tip. If you see a restaurant packed out with Thais then that's where you want to be. Even better if they are queuing to get a seat. It's likely to be good food at affordable prices. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Loads of great Thai food all over Bangkok... From high end fine dining Thai to standard street food... 

There are gems all over the city... way too many to list primarily because your question is rather unspecific...  

So... Starting off... Sabai Jai Gai Yang (on Ekammai)...  inexpensive, cheerful, good food, shorts and flip-flops type of place..... 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3355144-Reviews-Sa_Bai_Jai-Bangkok.html

Or another Place.... Ton Krueng (deep on Sukhumvit 49)... moderately price, comfortable, good food, shorts n t-shirt or suit n tie straight from work type of place... 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1396816-Reviews-Thon_Krueng_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

Or this place... Big Ha Mor (Sukhumvit 71)... shop front noodles...  very popular, loads of GrabBikes waiting outside.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or another Place.... Ton Krueng (deep on Sukhumvit 49)... moderately price, comfortable, good food, shorts n t-shirt or suit n tie straight from work type of place... 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1396816-Reviews-Thon_Krueng_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

Good call on Ton Krueng.  I have pretty much forgotten about that place since it moved.  When it was on the corner of Thonglor 13 I used to go at least once a month - fab food and the place was packed most nights.  Since it moved I think I have only been once.  I will pay it another visit this week.

I've been here 27 years and it was going strong even when I arrived.  I used to work about 100 metres from there so ate there several times a week.  

On 10/26/2022 at 8:00 AM, josephbloggs said:

I used to go at least once a month - ... I used to work about 100 metres from there so ate there several times a week.  

"I used to go at least once a month..."

"...ate there several times a week"

Make up your mind or your recommendation may not have much credibility!

On 10/26/2022 at 8:00 AM, josephbloggs said:

Good call on Ton Krueng.  I have pretty much forgotten about that place since it moved.  When it was on the corner of Thonglor 13 I used to go at least once a month - fab food and the place was packed most nights.  Since it moved I think I have only been once.  I will pay it another visit this week.

I've been here 27 years and it was going strong even when I arrived.  I used to work about 100 metres from there so ate there several times a week.  

The old one was much better... IMO.. the new one a little more awkward to get to, less character....

Its still a good place to take guests.... 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Another Liverpool Lou special.... not addressing the subject of the thread, instead choosing to play wannabe lawyer and pick holes in harmless comments made by those contributing to the value of a thread. :whistling:

Another Smith special, not noticing the exclamation mark and realising that it wasn't a serious remark.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
28 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Another Liverpool Lou special.... not addressing the subject of the thread, instead choosing to play wannabe lawyer and pick holes in harmless comments made by those contributing to the value of a thread. :whistling:

Also another Smith special in which you assume that you have control of the thread, the comments and who makes them.    What's the "lawyer" aspect that you're imagining?

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The old one was much better... IMO.. the new one a little more awkward to get to, less character....

Its still a good place to take guests.... 

Yeah, which is I guess why I've only been once since it moved.  Going to take the family this weekend for old time's sake.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

By the time you find a specific place your already in a great spot. Recommendations don't work for me. Just walk around.

You can’t walk everywhere and you’d be limiting any restaurant to ‘only the area you do walk’...  hence recommendations being a excellent source of information...  and of course threads such as this. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can’t walk everywhere and you’d be limiting any restaurant to ‘only the area you do walk’...  hence recommendations being a excellent source of information...  and of course threads such as this. 

you don't need to walk everywhere, just walk down the block, and eat, and stop complaining

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

you don't need to walk everywhere, just walk down the block, and eat, and stop complaining

People who ask for and discuss recommendations are perhaps a little more adventurous than sticking to whatever is on their block !!!.....   

The Op has asked for good recommendations... IF you have one on the block you walk around, why don’t you mention it as a recommendation if you think its good enough ????

The big red flags:

-restaurants mostly catering to Farang tourists who are seeking the 'authentic' Thai food

-a lack of rats, cockroaches, sewage, suggesting too much time spent cleaning and not enough time cooking

-a menu written in English (a giant grand prix red flag if the English menu has no prices) 

-staff who speak suspiciously good English, or who ask how spicey

-places mentioned in ThaiVisa by aspirational Bangkok residents

Likely overpriced places:

-places listed in the Michelin guide (without a star)

• Haha 1

Walk past sukhumvit 55, heading towards the Marriot on 57, and you'll see 2 shop houses selling thai food. 55 Pochana is the name. Hands down, best thai food. Affordable prices too. Used to be a small, no airconditioning shop that has transitioned to become a bit nicer. The Krapow Ped (Duck) is legendary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I had some Paad-Gapraw from a restaurant called Phed Mark (Opposite Ekammai on Sukhumvit).

Phed Mark would be a play on the name of the owner who I assume is a guy called Mark who likes spicy food !!!... 

Flippin ek... he wasn’t lying !!!....    

It's Mark Wiens' restaurant, I think.

• Thumbs Up 2