Thinking of staying at Koh Samui for like 2 months

On 10/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, khunPer said:

It seems like long ago you stayed on Samui. Today they don't offer shared computers and the almost all email-shops have gone. Most people are constantly 4G or 5G online. There is WiFi almost everywhere, and free WiFi in malls, banks, coffee shops and restaurants. A 1 Gb fiber with 5G WiFi-router costs little less than 600 baht a month pon Samui, it's 20 baht a day, shared with N number of bungalows.

Most of the small huts have disappeared and been replaced with larger more luxurious bungalows – only the ones in the back used by Thai workers are still there – however, there are still a few left in places like in Bang Por for 290 baht a night. Not 24 hour electricity is back in the happy hippie era, Samui has changed a lot since then.

A very, very long time since I stayed on Samui, bar an overnight on Mae Nam ( no longer cheap and cheerful ) while waiting to catch a ferry. I used to love Chaweng ( despite the overhead flight path ), but it went up market ( about the time they sold Charlies Hut and stopped showing vdos in the restaurants- putting a mall in was when they really sold their soul for greed ) and unlovable late last century, so I moved my preference to Phangan which retained the more rustic feel, and certainly less flashpackers with their entitled attitude. Way more loveable ( except for the excrescence behind Rin beach ).

I remember the time I realised the dream was over for Samui- I was on the car ferry from Don Sak and a large truck loaded with rebar was on board. I said to myself that it was time to look elsewhere, and Phangan was only a short ferry ride further.

• Thanks 1