As foreign tourists return to Thailand so do associated problems - this time drugs, but are "zero dollar" tours on comeback?

webfact

14 hours ago, ed strong said:

Never heard this term 'zero dollar' tourist especially when they cough up 10,000 thb per enriched water, they are definitely not short of a few quid and i doubt they  eat and sleep on the beach!

I think / guess that the Thai authorities want them here on a package type tour, whereby they are supervised by their own and stick to a regular schedule taking in the sites and making sure the dollars end up with the tourist structure. Although the staff were Thai so im not sure how all the money ends up outside the country?

Read the history of "zero Dollar Tours" and you will see how it works. E.G 10,000 B enriched water, they pay in China before they leave, zilch here.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, ed strong said:

Never heard this term 'zero dollar' tourist especially when they cough up 10,000 thb per enriched water, they are definitely not short of a few quid and i doubt they  eat and sleep on the beach!

I think / guess that the Thai authorities want them here on a package type tour, whereby they are supervised by their own and stick to a regular schedule taking in the sites and making sure the dollars end up with the tourist structure. Although the staff were Thai so im not sure how all the money ends up outside the country?

Are you serious? Must be a joke. Zero dollars means the Chinese spend al their money in Chinese owned establishments here and their money never so much as touches the  sides in Thailand

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Why would anyone coming here on a tourist visa or VOA be buying luxury cars let alone any sort of vehicle?

Two young Chinese guys, friends,  in the parking lot at the local shopping center.  Both driving brand new MGs with red plates.  Why aren't they driving rental cars?

Edited by LivingNThailand

20 hours ago, wombat said:

How are they getting out of China?

Isn't the country still in lockdown?

Lots of chinese, from China not long term residents, in Phuket right now.  I've seen plenty at the shopping centers.  As George Orwell wrote in Animal Farm.  All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. ”

22 hours ago, bbi1 said:

[quote]Police spokesman Pol Maj-Gen Achayon Kraithong said that most of the tourists were in Thailand on tourist visas or VoA.[/quote]

Why would anyone coming here on a tourist visa or VOA be buying luxury cars let alone any sort of vehicle?

I also thought there were big restrictions on Chinese leaving China ? So these Chinese ( young by the looks of it) were doing what in Thailand,,  holidays  ? Doubt that . Also Zero Dollar Tours usually mean Cheap package Tours .  Unless they have invented package tours including drugs and gambling ???

On 10/27/2022 at 9:19 PM, ed strong said:

Nothing to do with the amount of money they spend. It's about most of the money going to non Thai companies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geisha said:

Also Zero Dollar Tours usually mean Cheap package Tours .

It's when the money doesn't go to Thais, ergo zero money to Thailand, regardless of the cost of the tour.

However, probably associated with the cheaper tourist as seen on Walking Street behind a ( presumably ) foreign tour guide.

13 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Lots of chinese, from China not long term residents, in Phuket right now.  I've seen plenty at the shopping centers.  As George Orwell wrote in Animal Farm.  All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. ”

Could be Taiwanese, Hong Kongers, Singaporean Chinese,, Malaysian Chinese, Indonesian Chinese, Bruneian Chinese, Vietnamese Chinese, Cambodian Chinese…How can you be sure they are from China?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Could be Taiwanese, Hong Kongers, Singaporean Chinese,, Malaysian Chinese, Indonesian Chinese, Bruneian Chinese, Vietnamese Chinese, Cambodian Chinese…How can you be sure they are from China?

I was responding to this

How are they getting out of China?

Isn't the country still in lockdown?

Sure there are plenty of different chinese in Phuket right now, including Thai Chinese, but the chinese that yell and scream at each other and speak Mandarin are usually from China.  The quieter ones are usually from Taiwan and Singapore and Malaysia.  Usually.   sorry to profile, but that's just the way they are wired.   The ladies in those funny sundresses give them away too.    Anyway, my comment was about them getting out of China because the country is in lockdown.  It's not in lockdown for the privileged ones.   Including the ones that got busted in the drug bar raid a few days ago in Bangkok.   I believe the news report said they were from China.   So the Chinese are not 100% lockdown.  Also lots of direct flights from China to Bangkok too.   I guess I should have been more specific in my comment.

Edited by LivingNThailand
typo

There is news that China is locking down cities again in their zero COVID policy. 

How are these Chinese getting out to come to Thailand?

Well, I guess one good thing is so long as some can sneak out or pay their way out...China will never be free from Covid...(as these travelling ones will keep bringing COVID back into China.)..and keep the country in lockdown....

Edited by jak2002003