lost retirement visa, now on overstay

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

His rather cryptic comment was intended to point out that someone able to afford a return flight to the UK does not necessarily have the money in the bank necessary to apply for a Non O visa (over age 50) at an embassy. I believe that is 800,000 baht in the bank. There may be an exception when applying for an e-visa. In the past, those in receipt of a UK state pension could get a Non O visa from the London embassy without needing to show money in the bank. I do not know if that special case exception still exists when applying for an e-visa.

cryptic? I thought it was abundantly clear ????

thanks for your succinct explanation, I was in the middle of compiling a somewhat more convoluted response. 

I might add that I think it's nice that he goes back once in a while to visit his daughter. maybe he saves up all year or longer to be able to afford it and that's obviously much easier then coming up with B47K on the spot due to a simple, and not uncommon, error.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2022 at 12:05 PM, Joinaman said:

i have to agree with you, i think he has at least half the money, but he hates paying for anything and keeps going on about how he only paid 10.000 before

hes even talking about not paying and living on overstay, saying what can they do to an old man 

Throw him in jail and deport him

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2022 at 9:55 AM, JimTripper said:

The daughter needs to help out. Tell the guy to call her and ask for a loan. If he refuses, he is skint out of luck.

I believe the daughter and boyfriend dont work, amd are long time unemployed, which he always says the try and get any money off him when he goes to visist, so im pretty certain there would be no loan forthcoming

Seems he thinking of selling his car, which he hardly uses anyway, but worth about 60 to 100,000 baht ? its an old Vios 1500 manual . Im told someone is going to look at it today, so will se

Hes also thinking of leaving to go back to the UK, to sell the car and maybe the bike, ;eave the house to his gf, 

But not sure how this will wok for him, cos he still thinks he can just walk into benefits and housing 

One of the reasons he wnt back to UK was because he has a hernia, and he thought they would let him just walk into hospital and get it sorted. That didnt work out either 

I recommended that he get the money together, save what he can, and waits till next spring before going back. if thats what he wants to do He hates the cold season here, so no idea how he will cope on a UK winter  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Throw him in jail and deport him

Where he will have to sit until he can arrange to pay the 20K fine (may be able to lower this if it goes to court) & his deportation flight.

Its a sad reminder to all of us that we either need to make sure we can (comfortably) stay here until our time is up or have a plan B for when we can no longer live here, I would say that all but 1 of my mates plan to return to the UK if they’re still here at 75 (easy to say when it’s 20 years away, time will tell if they feel the same or are even able to return then).

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1