lost retirement visa, now on overstay

Once Mr.X had an overstay of 1175 days (about that) and decided to clear things up. So he went to land border, paid 2K THB to an agent (some farang connected to local IO), entered neighboring country, went to his embassy and claimed he lost passport. Got new one, entered LOS and that cost him something about 15K including 2K bribe, hotel, Embassy charge and daily booze.

But he was young and adventurous fella.

5 hours ago, Joinaman said:

seems he wasnt too bothered and wants around 27,000 baht before he will help, plus overstay fee 

Seems reasonabl.

Better than getting kicked out.

It's basically 17,000 baht.  That's what they usually charge.  Perhaps you can lend him the money?

I know it's not spare change. 

20 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Once Mr.X had an overstay of 1175 days (about that) and decided to clear things up. So he went to land border, paid 2K THB to an agent (some farang connected to local IO), entered neighboring country, went to his embassy and claimed he lost passport. Got new one, entered LOS and that cost him something about 15K including 2K bribe, hotel, Embassy charge and daily booze.

How long ago was that ?

A few years ago you could re-enter Thailand after an overstay without any problems .

These days its all computerised with facial recognition at immigration . so its not easy just to get a new passport and have your slate wiped clean 

Edited by Mac Mickmanus
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How long ago was that ?

A few years ago you could re-enter Thailand after an overstay without any problems .

These days its all computerised with facial recognition at immigration . so its not easy just to get a new passport and have your slate wiped clean 

Very long @Mac Mickmanus
Please allow me to correct you: there's no "facial recognition" thingy at all. Whenever they (BiBs) want to play with AI - they submit images to Israeli service which charges some $ per 1.000 pairs. Or outsource it to students to visually "mix'n'match". 

Yet you made a good point - things are not what they used to be

3 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Very long @Mac Mickmanus
Please allow me to correct you: there's no "facial recognition" thingy at all. Whenever they (BiBs) want to play with AI - they submit images to Israeli service which charges some $ per 1.000 pairs. Or outsource it to students to visually "mix'n'match". 

Yet you made a good point - things are not what they used to be

I would like to read up on that and how those photos (they take at border crossings work) are used .

Do you have a link which shows the procedure ?

8 hours ago, Joinaman said:

his visa exempt stamp ran out on the 14th. so on overstay

any recommendations for a visa agent that might be cheaper?

hes living in Isaan, but used an agent in Pattaya for many years 

does 27,000 baht sound about right to get this retirement visa back, or could it be done cheaper , because living on the old uk pension means money is tight for him

Thanks

27K seems ok to me. I know a Pilipino 3 years overstay and agency asked 45K from him. If hes sure that the agency can fix it and obviously he doesnt want to leave the country, so go for it 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Your young and adventurous Mr. X fella changed his name and date of birth too? 

Otherwise a new passport does not help. 

TBH it's just another barstool hero tale. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He needs to leave the country and pay the fine at on departure from the country.

Rather than trying to enter the country visa exempt again he should apply for a non-o visa at a nearby embassy and then apply for a new extension.

That embassy visa will force him to do criminal and health checks in his own country? 

What a situation to get yourself into just by not keeping the rules about retirement here front and center. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Which has nothing to do with the guys predicament. Just some story, or maybe fantasy of some anonymous poster.

Edited by roo860
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I agree that the agent plus the fine is the best solution for now. If he leaves the country and returns visa exempt, that will leave him needing the "conversion" visa and extension which is not going to be much under 27,000 baht through an agent. It could even be more.

For the longer term, it would be interesting to see what the status is on the house and car. He may want to look at liquidating his assets and either moving into a cheap rental, or possibly looking for a 20,000 baht per month all board care home. (They exist.) As he declines, his current living situation has the potential for further problems.

Returning to the UK, unless he has friends and relatives able to assist, can leave you high and dry. These days, the NHS will not immediately provide anything other than emergency health care. Any kind of housing is very expensive, and even local travel is unaffordable on a low income. Further, if he has spent years in Thailand, returning into the teeth of a British winter is going to be quite a shock to the system. I am healthy for my age, but would not like my odds of avoiding serious respiratory problems if forced back to the UK in winter.

But will be able to claim the full old age pension?

20 hours ago, Joinaman said:

hes even talking about not paying and living on overstay, saying what can they do to an old man 

He could do that, live on the sly until he wants to leave the country at some point and pay 20,000 at the airport to do so.

But of course if he falls ill over here or gets picked up by plod he will be in  more trouble.

ie deported, blacklisted etc.

It appears he hasn't been able to meet the retirement extension financial requirements for some time and has been using an agent to get extensions. (Perhaps since some Embassies refused to certify income?) 

He departed, returned, then overstayed without seemingly being aware of the basic legal requirements for long term stay. Apparently now, he cannot even afford the "dodgy" agent method. Border bouncing also appears to be outside his physical and financial ability.  I wonder if he even has provision for health emergencies. 

Incidentally, there are many of us expats in our 70s, and older, who have a very good grasp of the requirements to live here and are also au fait with phone and computer use. Advanced age doesn't automatically beget befuddlement. 

In my opinion NancyL has the best plan for his future, although, if he has family ties here prepared to care for him, perhaps the thought of just lying low might work (not recommended).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

They can deport him, and first detain him in an IDC. From what I gather, they are not holiday camps, especially for old people.

It's a bad mistake to think the respect Thais exhibit for their own elderly extends to old foreigners.

+ he'd have to stay in IDC until he could arrange/pay for his own Deportation flight which costs a lot more than 27K nowadays, especially if he's forced to fly direct (some deportation scenarios insist on you having to do this).

(As an aside, I'm sure I read once that Laos will refuse you entry if you're leaving Thailand on an overstay, can somebody confirm)? 

If he has a long term partner here would getting married offer him any better options in the longer term (I doubt he's going to do any better than the 27K he's been quoted to resolve the current situation).

Edited by Mike Teavee

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I agree that the agent plus the fine is the best solution for now. If he leaves the country and returns visa exempt, that will leave him needing the "conversion" visa and extension which is not going to be much under 27,000 baht through an agent. It could even be more.

For the longer term, it would be interesting to see what the status is on the house and car. He may want to look at liquidating his assets and either moving into a cheap rental, or possibly looking for a 20,000 baht per month all board care home. (They exist.) As he declines, his current living situation has the potential for further problems.

Returning to the UK, unless he has friends and relatives able to assist, can leave you high and dry. These days, the NHS will not immediately provide anything other than emergency health care. Any kind of housing is very expensive, and even local travel is unaffordable on a low income. Further, if he has spent years in Thailand, returning into the teeth of a British winter is going to be quite a shock to the system. I am healthy for my age, but would not like my odds of avoiding serious respiratory problems if forced back to the UK in winter.

Most intelligent, forward-looking and compassionate suggestions. You are a Gentleman!

13 minutes ago, stereolab said:

You really need to explain that comment.

His rather cryptic comment was intended to point out that someone able to afford a return flight to the UK does not necessarily have the money in the bank necessary to apply for a Non O visa (over age 50) at an embassy. I believe that is 800,000 baht in the bank. There may be an exception when applying for an e-visa. In the past, those in receipt of a UK state pension could get a Non O visa from the London embassy without needing to show money in the bank. I do not know if that special case exception still exists when applying for an e-visa.