Smoked salmon

Geoffreyt

Go to Makro for the fresh farm stuff and diy smoke it. One could probably rig up a clay mukata wood cooker. Finding proper US style stuff here can be a challenge unless it’s imported.  

Edited by novacova
Because I forgot to say something!
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, novacova said:

Go to Makro for the fresh farm stuff and diy smoke it. One could probably rig up a clay mukata wood cooker. Finding proper US style stuff here can be a challenge unless it’s imported.  

Not often I find fresh salomon in Makro, mostly awful quality 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hummin said:

It’s usually where the sushi joints purchase their salmon for sashimi. I eat it all the time and it doesn’t seem awful to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, novacova said:

It’s usually where the sushi joints purchase their salmon for sashimi. I eat it all the time and it doesn’t seem awful to me. 

All depending on previous experience, I'm used to fresh quality straight from sea and water and hard to adjust my expectations. If the fish is handled well from catch to straight on ice, and then in few hours frozen, and kept frozen at ideal temp, it's okay, but that's very rear they manage unfortunate.

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

All depending on previous experience, I'm used to fresh quality straight from sea and water and hard to adjust my expectations. If the fish is handled well from catch to straight on ice, and then in few hours frozen, and kept frozen at ideal temp, it's okay, but that's very rear they manage unfortunate.

I’ve see wild caught salmon only at a couple of places here, expensive and nidnoy, not worth it. So the farm stuff will do and good enough for me. 

18 hours ago, novacova said:

And with the leftover bricks build a pizza restaurant next to it and import a proper Italian to run it... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

And with the leftover bricks build a pizza restaurant next to it and import a proper Italian to run it... 

but I prefer American Indian style smoked salmon, like alder wood. So let’s import some red alder and get this thing moving????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, novacova said:

I’ve see wild caught salmon only at a couple of places here, expensive and nidnoy, not worth it. So the farm stuff will do and good enough for me. 

Could you share where you have found genuine "wild salmon" for sale in Chiang Mai--it's usually from Norway--farmed, or from Peru, etc--farmed--there is almost non-existent 
wild salmon" in the Atlantic, due to restrictions (yes, probably ignored by some, but then not sold openly) caused by overfishing--most wild salmon is from the Pacific and very difficult to get here and is "fresh frozen" as it is called--I have seen it in bkk, but not in CM--Makkro has all kinds of frozen imports, so they may have some tucked away somewhere in a freezer--and, no, all there fish is not "terrible", one has to be selectice, as when purchasing any food item.  I have smaller packets of smoked salmon for sale at Rimping, Central Fesitival supermarket, and at Makkro, also.

Go to Rimping in Meechoke Plaza. They have quite a range of smoked salmon, ranging in price by a factor of 3 or 4. You are right that the cheap stuff is not very good---avoid it. Look for Thammachart Seafood smoked salmon---it is good. They often sell out of the good stuff, so you may have to go more than once 

5 hours ago, SammyJ said:

Could you share where you have found genuine "wild salmon" for sale in Chiang Mai--it's usually from Norway--farmed, or from Peru, etc--farmed--there is almost non-existent 
wild salmon" in the Atlantic, due to restrictions.

Did you look at the Paleo Robbie link I posted above? They list wild sockeye, king, pink and coho but don't mention origin. Have only tried the gravlax which was well decent and the sockeye salmon fillet and again decent. Shipped frozen from Bangkok.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:56 PM, Hummin said:

same here, they claim it to be fresh but it's absolutely NOT, same with their Freshly Daily Baked pastries, bred(s) some stay on the shelve for 2-3 days, bred hard as a rock but still say "it's Freshly made" .... liars and   jerks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

same here, they claim it to be fresh but it's absolutely NOT, same with their Freshly Daily Baked pastries, bred(s) some stay on the shelve for 2-3 days, bred hard as a rock but still say "it's Freshly made" .... liars and   jerks

I eat farmed salomon also if I can tell it have been handled correct, and then you also useally pay higher price. I prefer round whole frozen fish if I can get, if not Im also happy once and awhile buy these small packages of smoked or fermented salomon. There is one Norwegian brand I bouy at tops that is not to bad, but cant recall the name now. They also had it at Gourmet store at Blueport in Hua Hin. 

18 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Well, i wouldn't condemn all of Makkro as "liars and jerks" because you found some older bakery items--that is likely true of most stores here and often in the US, as well--if that alone disqualifies a market, then where is one to shop?  I have found the pastry items i have purchased there to be fine--in reality, not a lot stays on the "bakery shelves" for too long--Makkro has consistently large crowds of shoppers.  Did you really believe that any shop throws out produce or bakery items after one day?  You have a better chance at larger markets--Makkro, Big C, etc as they have turn over--the smaller shops simply cannot afford to quickly dispose of products.

As to the salmon--you didn't really believe that any salmon sold here was FRESH, did you?  It's frozen, or "frozen fresh", a marketing label used all over the world.  I read above one can order salmon from bkk that is wild caught, but with any frozen items, one has to have confidence that it actually remained frozen all the way from the US, etc, to here,

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 9:44 AM, novacova said:

exactly, and again, no salmon sold in Thailand is actually "fresh"--fresh frozen perhaps, or previously forzen,

On 10/29/2022 at 1:45 PM, Hummin said:

Do you live long term in Thailand, or are planning to?  If so, one needs to adjust one's expectations in many instances, and to expect things here to be like they were from previous experiences does not necessarily make a market a bunch of "liars and jerks".

18 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Did you look at the Paleo Robbie link I posted above? They list wild sockeye, king, pink and coho but don't mention origin. Have only tried the gravlax which was well decent and the sockeye salmon fillet and again decent. Shipped frozen from Bangkok.

Yes, i did see that--but the poster had indicated, i thought, that he had found it for sale at places here in Chiang Mai--i was curious who was selling it locally.

1 hour ago, SammyJ said:

Do you live long term in Thailand, or are planning to?  If so, one needs to adjust one's expectations in many instances, and to expect things here to be like they were from previous experiences does not necessarily make a market a bunch of "liars and jerks".

I just said bad handling which result in bad quality, and have no intention on buying bad quality. 

My next post answer maybe explain better. 

2 hours ago, SammyJ said:

LIving long-term here, you also need to learn to recognize when other expats express their emotional reactions indirectly. as a way to imitate the "social masking" required to keep the ":jai yen" surface of social interactions smooth. The preceding sentence is, itself, an example of this.

~o:37;

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

LIving long-term here, you also need to learn to recognize when other expats express their emotional reactions indirectly. as a way to imitate the "social masking" required to keep the ":jai yen" surface of social interactions smooth. The preceding sentence is, itself, an example of this.

~o:37;

What????  

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

I just said bad handling which result in bad quality, and have no intention on buying bad quality. 

My next post answer maybe explain better. 

Certainly should not buy poor quality, but Makkro has a lot of good quality items, including their bakery and fish.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 7:36 AM, SammyJ said:

wild salmon" in the Atlantic, due to restrictions (yes, probably ignored by some, but then not sold openly) caused by overfishing--most wild salmon is from the Pacific and very difficult to get here and is "fresh frozen" as it is called--I have seen it in bkk, but not in CM--Makkro has all kinds of frozen imports, so they may have some tucked away somewhere in a freezer--and, no, all there fish is not "terrible", one has to be selectice, as when purchasing any food item.  I have smaller packets of smoked salmon for sale at Rimping, Central Fesitival supermarket, and at Makkro, also.

Fuji airport central, last year wild caught pacific. The other in ninnmam 4 years ago, I’ll try to remember where and get back to you.