China Covid: Millions back in lockdown as Beijing doubles down on zero-Covid

onthedarkside

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

Doubt it. Lots of people vaccinated with Pfizer and/or Moderna are still catching Covid, including friends and family in UK and Switzerland.

I doubt they have had the new booster, but that said, I said it would help them immensely.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

China, as a sovereign nation, has the right to do as it wishes, without interference from external sources.

Actually, that's not correct. 

In terms of silly lockdowns at this stage, yes, they can act as stupidly as they want.

And are. ????

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

The US had 68,726 cases reported on 27 Oct (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html). China, 1000+ cases. I think the new booster might help America immensely too.

On the one hand we have a country that reacts very harshly with lockdowns which of course helps keep cases low (though it's questionable how truthful the numbers are) and on the other hand we have a country with tons of anti vaxxers murricah freedom f* yeah! nutties who don't exactly make it easier.

I don't like either approach. Companies are trying to diversify their supply chain away from China more and more recently and the lockdowns are one factor.

7 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Actually, that's not correct. 

In terms of silly lockdowns at this stage, yes, they can act as stupidly as they want.

And are. ????

I’m pretty certain China has less deaths per capita than your home country. I wonder who’s the stupid one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

On the one hand we have a country that reacts very harshly with lockdowns which of course helps keep cases low (though it's questionable how truthful the numbers are) and on the other hand we have a country with tons of anti vaxxers murricah freedom f* yeah! nutties who don't exactly make it easier.

I don't like either approach. Companies are trying to diversify their supply chain away from China more and more recently and the lockdowns are one factor.

Whether the numbers are truthful or not, the intent is to keep the number of cases low. Right or wrong, not for me to say but for sure they have their reasons. Those reasons (saving lives) are more important to them than the negative economic consequences. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m pretty certain China has less deaths per capita than your home country. I wonder who’s the stupid one.

North Korea has even less even though they had apparently 20x the amount of cases! Must be the amazing health care system the folks there have ????

• Thanks 1

Saw this in a recent Barron's report on China's COVID policy, explaining their rationale:

"An article Tuesday in the influential flagship party newspaper, the People’s Daily, all but stated it [the policy] was here to stay.

“At times like this, we need to realize that ‘dynamic zero-Covid’ is sustainable and must be followed,” it said.

“Loosening our prevention and control measures will certainly lead to an increased risk of infection, and once the scale bounces out of control, the spread of the epidemic is bound to cause a serious impact on economic and social development,” the Chinese-language article read."

https://www.barrons.com/articles/chinas-covid-cases-rise-days-before-party-summit-its-another-blow-to-the-economy-51665586295

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why is China still in the thick of Covid and having lock-downs , whilst in other Countries everything's back to normal ?

US 68,000 cases per day. China, 1000 cases leading to the lockdown. So China is not in the thick of COVID.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

Saw this in a recent Barron's report on China's COVID policy, explaining their rationale:

"An article Tuesday in the influential flagship party newspaper, the People’s Daily, all but stated it [the policy] was here to stay.

“At times like this, we need to realize that ‘dynamic zero-Covid’ is sustainable and must be followed,” it said.

“Loosening our prevention and control measures will certainly lead to an increased risk of infection, and once the scale bounces out of control, the spread of the epidemic is bound to cause a serious impact on economic and social development,” the Chinese-language article read."

https://www.barrons.com/articles/chinas-covid-cases-rise-days-before-party-summit-its-another-blow-to-the-economy-51665586295

Makes sense. They are looking long term. The Chinese government with 5,000 years of civilisation is patient, if not anything.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why is China still in the thick of Covid and having lock-downs , whilst in other Countries everything's back to normal ?

Because in other countries, things aren't "back to normal" even though some politicians and governments are pretending they are.

Thousands are still dying of COVID every week, and forecasts are that things will get worse toward the end of the year, per Johns Hopkins' report below:

"The number of new daily global COVID-19 cases is projected to rise slowly over the coming months, increasing from about 17 million now to about 18.7 million by the end of January 2023, the University of Washington Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation predicts in an analysis published this week.

The increase will be impacted by the emergence of various Omicron lineage subvariants, seasonal behavioral changes, and COVID-19 policies in China, where many of the world’s most susceptible population resides. The model’s reference scenario also estimates 245,000 additional reported deaths due to COVID-19 will occur through February 1."

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/--COVID-19-Updates---October-27--2022.html

Note the final sentence above -- "The model’s reference scenario also estimates 245,000 additional reported deaths due to COVID-19 will occur through February 1."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Credo said:

They might want to contact Pfizer or Moderna.  They could help them immensely.   

Last time I checked, China wasn't using mRNA vaccines domestically as yet. And those vaccines, despite their limitations, have clearly been shown to be more effective than the original Chinese produced ones like Sinovac and Sinopharm.

China Gets Its First mRNA Vaccine Approval. In Indonesia.

Indonesia has cleared an mRNA Covid-19 vaccine developed by a Chinese company. But those types of shots, considered among the most effective, aren’t yet available in China.

Sept. 30, 2022

"First developed and approved in the West, mRNA vaccines have been embraced by countries all over the world, including Indonesia, and are considered among the most effective vaccines that the world has to offer. But more than two years into the pandemic, they are not yet available in China, which has relied on an increasingly draconian “zero Covid” approach to keep cases and deaths from the virus low."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/30/business/china-mrna-covid-vaccine-indonesia.html

Part of the explanation of why China is resorting to the Zero COVID lockdowns policy instead of its own vaccines?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

If you always do heavy lockdowns and don't allow your population to develop immunity and at the same time don't allow the most effective vaccines into the country you'll be doing lockdowns in regular intervals for a very long time because the virus does not disappear. It will flare up -> lockdown -> subdue -> flare up -> lockdown... rinse repeat. And that's exactly what we've seen them do. Doesn't look like a winning strategy to me.

I’m not a medical expert so can’t comment on whether China is doing the right thing or not. Where is House MD when you need him.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, FarAway said:

I am pretty certain China has the highest depression and suicidal rate at the moment, forced tests under any conditions, forced vaccinations and a color-coded health-code-system that strip any basic human rights that were still left. Not even talking about the total big brother control, soon CBDC-cashless-society and the social credit system.

Off topic.

16 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Off topic.

How is my comment off-topic?

The sharp rises in depression and suicides being caused by the "0-Covid-Policy" (which is just a mechanism to get the Chinese used to obey to total control) is 100% on-topic.

You do not even need to look at the thousands of social media videos of people there literally going crazy, it is just natural. I actually wonder how most of them can still be so calm, but after all they are communist working bees with no idea of individualism.

My comments regarding forced tests and vaccinations, as part of this inhumane policy, are on-topic as well.

And lastly the control mechanisms that are being installed in the slipstream of the COVID thing are very on-topic as well.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling and conspiracy comments removed
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Doubt it. Lots of people vaccinated with Pfizer and/or Moderna are still catching Covid, including friends and family in UK and Switzerland.

I seem to remember some time back that they had to admit that it didn't actually stop people getting covid, hence the need for jab 3, 4, 5. etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because in other countries, things aren't "back to normal" even though some politicians and governments are pretending they are.

In NZ they pretty much are, and the restrictions just a bad dream we had a while back. Other than a few wearing masks, one wouldn't remember it had happened.

No requirement to have had the jabs for most, and other than on public transport ( I think that is still in effect ) no mask mandates.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I seem to remember some time back that they had to admit that it didn't actually stop people getting covid, hence the need for jab 3, 4, 5. etc.

Not a good memory then. They don't have to admit because they never claimed it would prevent infection - same like any vaccine before. The vaccine just primes the immune system for the fight - it's not an invisible force field. Why are we in 2022 still talking about this?

• Like 1