Buying a Motorbike on a Visa with a Thai GF that does not have a cycle endorsement

NDRugby99

Haha,

Sorry I just got back to check on answers from my original question. Sounds like I really got some people going with this one. I personally dont mind the questions about my rationale as it sometimes leads to better suggestions, but I could also see how it would annoy others. No big deal. I appreciate all of it.

You gave great advice. I am american (45 years old) who has a Thai GF (together 7 years - no kids, we met in USA not in Pattaya :). We live in my house in USA for 8 months of year and spend 4-5 months in a house in Bangkok as her family has a house on same street (starting this year OCT - MARCH) previously we just came over for 2 week trips. I found a gym, pool and tennis courts all around the east side of Bangkok (we are in Prawet district) and I thought it would be easier to just use a scooter as opposed to bus. I am aware on a METV I have to leave. I was just going to do a couple trips while here, like taiwan and vietnam or something. I thought I would keep the scooter at our place (GFs house) in BKK when back in the US.

1. It sounds like with my US and ID licenses I should be good to move forward

2. I would like to get Thai DL just to avoid potential hassles, but sounds like Certificate of Residence is not an option for me based on above and my METV. I will be in CMai in a couple weeks, I wonder if, as a poster said, I can try and get certificate up there...?

3. Any thoughts on 3rd party insurance?

All the best

Darren

Edited by NDRugby99

On 10/30/2022 at 4:28 AM, NoDisplayName said:

Haha!  Yes!  You fill out the standard "blank affidavit" with anything you like.  The notary won't read it, doesn't care.  You're only getting your signature certified confirming you are the person who said some stuff. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf

Is this legit? or were you joking. I can take that PDF fill it in and get notarized and take to CM immigration to get thai DL?

On 10/30/2022 at 6:39 AM, ThailandRyan said:

When I first obtained my ME Tourist Visa back in the early 2000's I would stay in Phuket for 2 months then leave for three and then return for two more.  I bought a click from a guy who rented them out for 15k Thb, cheaper then renting over the long term.  When I would leave and head back to the US I would leave the bike at a friends place who worked for a Muay Thai camp.  It worked out great.  Kept the bike for 2 years and then sold it to another guy training Muay Thai for 10K as he was on a 1 year Fight Visa.  I had my US DL and an IDP when I bought the bike, the guy had connections at DLT and did all of the registration paperwork for me.  He had over 30 bikes he rented at the time and also had a hotel where fighters stayed.

exactly what I am looking to do...thanks

On 10/30/2022 at 5:11 AM, JeffersLos said:

This is a tourist visa for the purpose of tourism.

Why do you want to purchase a vehicle in a country you are only holidaying in for another 4-5 months, part of which you'll be holidaying in other countries?

To rent a m'bike ( which many TOURISTS do ), one often has to hand over the passport- a very bad idea. Buying one eliminates that problem.

I may have missed it, but what insurance does the OP intend to use, though if he has m'bike included on his home licence he can include m'bike insurance in his travel insurance?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To rent a m'bike ( which many TOURISTS do ), one often has to hand over the passport- a very bad idea. Buying one eliminates that problem.

I may have missed it, but what insurance does the OP intend to use, though if he has m'bike included on his home licence he can include m'bike insurance in his travel insurance?

good point. Yes my travel insurance does cover motorcycle. I wonder if I still get 3r party insurance to cover accidents to others though

35 minutes ago, NDRugby99 said:

3. Any thoughts on 3rd party insurance?

Not sure exactly what you are intending there, but will you have medical insurance for m'bike accidents included on your travel insurance?

IMO chances of requiring hospital care riding a m'bike in Thailand is high, and for those never ridden in LOS extremely high.

The included m'bike cover on my travel insurance included damage/ injury/ death to other road users.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not sure exactly what you are intending there, but will you have medical insurance for m'bike accidents included on your travel insurance?

IMO chances of requiring hospital care riding a m'bike in Thailand is high, and for those never ridden in LOS extremely high.

The included m'bike cover on my travel insurance included damage/ injury/ death to other road users.

Hi,

Yes you are right. I just looked my travel insurance covers not only me but also the bike and 3rd party.

Appreciate you

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NDRugby99 said:

Is this legit? or were you joking. I can take that PDF fill it in and get notarized and take to CM immigration to get thai DL?

Yes, it's legit.  The embassy notary is only confirming you are you, and nothing more.  They don't check any information that you put in the affidavit.  It's a nice service ($50) providing a paper with an official government stamp that satisfies the little local bureaucrats.  I had to get a similar "affidavit of singleness" to get hitched at the local office.  Same sort of paperwork drill, notarized signature with no check that I am/was actually single.

You'll need to book a slot for notary services.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

This is an affidavit of residence from the embassy, nothing at all to do with immigration.  You get this notarized paper in lieu of the certificate of residence from immigration.  It's an either/or deal for DLT.

Take the embassy notarized paper to DLT as proof of residence.....along with your US drivers license and health check. 

Edited by NoDisplayName

35 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Yes, it's legit.  The embassy notary is only confirming you are you, and nothing more.  They don't check any information that you put in the affidavit.  It's a nice service ($50) providing a paper with an official government stamp that satisfies the little local bureaucrats.  I had to get a similar "affidavit of singleness" to get hitched at the local office.  Same sort of paperwork drill, notarized signature with no check that I am/was actually single.

You'll need to book a slot for notary services.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

This is an affidavit of residence from the embassy, nothing at all to do with immigration.  You get this notarized paper in lieu of the certificate of residence from immigration.  It's an either/or deal for DLT.

Take the embassy notarized paper to DLT as proof of residence.....along with your US drivers license and health check. 

kind of you to elaborate. Many thanks. Should I try in CM or work just as well in BKK?

I

2 hours ago, NDRugby99 said:

kind of you to elaborate. Many thanks. Should I try in CM or work just as well in BKK?

I can't say 'bout Chiang Mai.  Same-same but different.  Best check the automotive sub-forum for the latest license requirements.

Here's the DLT website.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

And a site where you do the required online training, and print off a scan code to show the clerk when you submit your application.

https://dlt-elearning.com/

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

I

I can't say 'bout Chiang Mai.  Same-same but different.  Best check the automotive sub-forum for the latest license requirements.

Here's the DLT website.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

And a site where you do the required online training, and print off a scan code to show the clerk when you submit your application.

https://dlt-elearning.com/

thank you sir

On 11/1/2022 at 2:45 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

What travel insurance do you use? turns out mine only covers me medically, and it seemed tough to find a travel insurance that covered Personal Liability for a moto riding.