Buying a Motorbike on a Visa with a Thai GF that does not have a cycle endorsement

NDRugby99

Hi all,

I appreciate the feedback I get on this site. A wealth of knowledge.

I am in Thailand on a METV until end of March. I wanted to get a Scooter (maybe 100-125 cc). It is my understanding I could buy it and get the book, but I cannot register it with GOVT since I do not have Thail DL, just US DL and IDL. I was wondering if my Thai GF could buy it and register with Govt even though she does not have a cycle endorsement in thailand (I have it in USA on my DL and IDL). In the US one could buy it, but when they went to register it they need to show proof of insurance, which you cannot get without a cycle endorsement, so you really cant register it. I was wondering how I would get around all this in Thailand without my GF going through a class to get the cycle endorsement as she is not gunna pass that lol. Can She register it with just the basic compulsory insurance (no third party...I know this sucks)? Whatever I try, is it best to put a deposit on the bike and get the book to try and get govt approval before paying total cost of scooter?

thanks again

Darren

2 hours ago, NDRugby99 said:

a METV until end of March

This is a tourist visa for the purpose of tourism.

Why do you want to purchase a vehicle in a country you are only holidaying in for another 4-5 months, part of which you'll be holidaying in other countries?

I can only concur with "In the jungle" and blackcab. You don't need a Thai driver license to register a vehicle in your name and it can be done on a tourist visa. If they try to tell you otherwise then they just don't know. Consider this: vehicles can be registered in the name of a company but a company can not obtain a driver license.

You are well prepared with a US motorcycle license plus IDP (not IDL). With those you could also go to immigration, get a certificate of residence and get a thai driver license from the DLT without doing all the tests etc. Costs a few hundred bath. This license might be useful in all kinds of circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Why do you think the OP should tell you why he wants to do this? Is it even relevant?

Of course it is. 

The OP is here as a tourist, whilst on holiday in the region for the next few months.

Maybe he doesn't know that he can rent a scooter for almost nothing, during his holiday.

As tourists we travelled around Central and South America for months at a time. Everyone rented vehicles, instead of buying, of course.

The OP says he's here until the end of March, even that is incorrect, he can only stay here for 60 days each times he visits. 

If the OP doesn't even know how long he stay here on his visa..... and is thinking about buying a vehicle whilst on holiday when he can rent one....

• Haha 2

Maybe he wants to let someone else ride the thing while he's away? Maybe he wants to visit regularily? Maybe he just likes owning things instead of renting. Maybe he wants to ride it like a maniac offroad? Maybe he wants better insurance coverage? Point being: motivation doesn't matter when the question is if he can register it in his name or not.

Pretty sure OP is aware that he could rent a scooter if he's already doing research on how to register a bike and has a Thai GF.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

This is a tourist visa for the purpose of tourism.

Why do you want to purchase a vehicle in a country you are only holidaying in for another 4-5 months, part of which you'll be holidaying in other countries?

I bought one as a tourist years ago, common sense really, pays for itself pretty quickly

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Maybe he wants to let someone else ride the thing while he's away? Maybe he wants to visit regularily? Maybe he just likes owning things instead of renting. Maybe he wants to ride it like a maniac offroad? Maybe he wants better insurance coverage? Point being: motivation doesn't matter when the question is if he can register it in his name or not.

Maybe you should just let the OP worry about it! ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I have registered probably seven or more vehicles in my name in Thailand and I have never had a Thai driving licence. 

Me too. I don't understand where do people come up with such ridiculous ideas. When you register a motorbike, they don't ask you for a driver's license.

I stay in Thailand for 6-months and bought a used scooter for short distance runs in back alleys. Bought it from a Russian guy who has a motorbike rental business in Pattaya. Paid 600 baht to an agent and registered it in my name immediately. No certificate of residence, no driver license, nothing, no visiting immigration, or any government offices. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NDRugby99 said:

It is my understanding I could buy it and get the book, but I cannot register it with GOVT

Possession of the bike, book, keys etc is not ownership of the bike. your name IN the book is ownership.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eisfeld said:

You are well prepared with a US motorcycle license plus IDP (not IDL). With those you could also go to immigration, get a certificate of residence and get a thai driver license from the DLT without doing all the tests etc. Costs a few hundred bath. This license might be useful in all kinds of circumstances.

OP is in Bangkok, and won't get a residence certificate from CW unless he's got a long-term visa and has already done a 90-day report.

He'll need to provide Chatuchak DLT with a US embassy affidavit of residence ($50).

10 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Of course it is. 

The OP is here as a tourist, whilst on holiday in the region for the next few months.

Maybe he doesn't know that he can rent a scooter for almost nothing, during his holiday.

As tourists we travelled around Central and South America for months at a time. Everyone rented vehicles, instead of buying, of course.

The OP says he's here untoil the end of March, even that is incorrect, he can only stay here for 60 days each times he visits. 

If the OP doesn't even know how long he stay here on his visa..... and is thinking about buying a vehicle whilst on holiday when he can rent one....

It is up to the OP and nobody ese, what he does with his own money, time and girlfriend. He has asked for advice on buying a scooter and nothing else. 

Nobody cares what you did in central and south America and it is certainly not relevant to his post.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Go with your gf to buy a 2nd hand Wave for about 8,000 - 10,000 baht and leave with her when you leave. 

LOL - It won't have a nice shiny red plate then - girls don't like bikes without shiny red plates.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

OP is in Bangkok, and won't get a residence certificate from CW unless he's got a long-term visa and has already done a 90-day report.

He'll need to provide Chatuchak DLT with a US embassy affidavit of residence ($50).

Does the US Embassy issue the Affirmation of Residence letter to those not on resident visas ?? 

The reason I ask: The British Embassy will not issue this letter to those who entered Visa Exempt or on Tourist Visa’s. Meanwhile other Embassies have no issue with this. 

Additionally: While CW Immigration will not issue the Certificate of Address without a 90 day report, other Immigration offices will (some good first hand info on this from other members - i.e. Immigration in Chiang Mai will). 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does the US Embassy issue the Affirmation of Residence letter to those not on resident visas ?? 

The reason I ask: The British Embassy will not issue this letter to those who entered Visa Exempt or on Tourist Visa’s. Meanwhile other Embassies have no issue with this. 

Additionally: While CW Immigration will not issue the Certificate of Address without a 90 day report, other Immigration offices will (some good first hand info on this from other members - i.e. Immigration in Chiang Mai will). 

Haha!  Yes!  You fill out the standard "blank affidavit" with anything you like.  The notary won't read it, doesn't care.  You're only getting your signature certified confirming you are the person who said some stuff. 

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf

An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts, made voluntarily, and confirmed by the oath or affirmation of the person making it. Please note the Embassy and Consulate assume no responsibility for the veracity of the representations that appear in the affidavit. Only the identity of the individual making the statement is validated.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

He has asked for advice on buying a scooter and nothing else. 

Many tourists are not aware of other options. 

So yes, asking why he is buying a vehicle while being here on holiday is a perfectly valid enquiry that can/could help him/her. ???? 

Just now, JeffersLos said:

Many tourists are not aware of other options. 

So yes, asking why he is buying a vehicle while being here on holiday is a perfectly valid enquiry that can/could help him/her. ???? 

What ! you think a tourist isn’t aware they could hire motorcycle ? 

erm…..  

The op is probably planning on living here on a tourist visa to start with…. 
Irrelevant to the question but a more realistic assumption.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

you think a tourist isn’t aware they could hire motorcycle ? 

If a genuine tourist is thinking of buying a vehicle while on holiday in a country, I'd put nothing past them. ????

living here on a tourist visa

Living here on a tourist visa?

Do you know there are visas for doing that? ????

20 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

you think a tourist isn’t aware they could hire motorcycle ? 

If a genuine tourist is thinking of buying a vehicle while on holiday in a country, I'd put nothing past them. ????

All completely irrelevant......    The op wants to know about buying a motorcycle. 

Did you really think the Op is so stupid he is unaware he could rent a motorcycle ?....

.... A bit insulting that... suspecting someone is so stupid and you have this golden droplet of knowledge that he could in fact rent instead of buy !!!.......  genius !!!! 

20 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

living here on a tourist visa

Living here on a tourist visa?

Do you know there are visas for doing that? ????

Many people live here juggling tourist visa’s, visa exempts, Ed Visas etc ..  utterly, utterly irrelevant to the thread. 

• Thanks 1

When I first obtained my ME Tourist Visa back in the early 2000's I would stay in Phuket for 2 months then leave for three and then return for two more.  I bought a click from a guy who rented them out for 15k Thb, cheaper then renting over the long term.  When I would leave and head back to the US I would leave the bike at a friends place who worked for a Muay Thai camp.  It worked out great.  Kept the bike for 2 years and then sold it to another guy training Muay Thai for 10K as he was on a 1 year Fight Visa.  I had my US DL and an IDP when I bought the bike, the guy had connections at DLT and did all of the registration paperwork for me.  He had over 30 bikes he rented at the time and also had a hotel where fighters stayed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1