Non O , or Tourist visa

Have a question as to what type of visa to get. I live in Thailand and still work offshore , usual cycle is 1 month to 6 weeks working out of Thailand, come back to Thailand for 2 weeks and repeat the cycle. As I'm over 50, have been getting the non -o , or retirement visa. My non-o expired  in July, and have been coming back on visa exempt. I was thinking of just getting 6 month tourist visa with multiple entries instead  on the non-o. Any suggestions ? Also, can I buy and register a new motorbike in my name. 

You have to apply for a the multiple entry tourist visa (METV) in your home country or country  of legal residence. Some embassies and consulates make it difficult to get.

I you were going to be here for more than 2 weeks I would suggest you apply for a non-o visa at immigration and then a extension based upon retirement.

Whether you can get drivers license with 60 day entry from the METV depends upon the DLT drivers licence office you apply at.

7 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

I was thinking of just getting 6 month tourist visa with multiple entries instead  on the non-o. Any suggestions ?

The oil/gas workers previously would often just enter visa exempt.

Eventually io will pull you up on that and suggest long term visa.

Most likely METV is not long term solution.

Married guys have more options.

Being over 50, suggest your best option is to obtain a non O and subsequent 12 month extensions.

The 30/45 day extension window might be tricky. 

Re drivers license and purchase of bike...depends where you live.

Bangkok requires a residence certificate and that's an issue as you would not be doing 90 day reports. 

Edited by DrJack54

Just found this old thread in "off shore workers" forum.

Extensions from non O based on retirement  option.

Another option would be a non O-A however need to obtain that in own country.

Can obtain up to 2 years from a non O-A.

Requires insurance. Thinking extensions better option.

Only 4 replies 

Edited by DrJack54

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Whether you can get drivers license with 60 day entry from the METV depends upon the DLT drivers licence office you apply at.

Everything is possible using an agent and it is hassle free, helps a lot of people and win-win for everybody. 

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The oil/gas workers previously would often just enter visa exempt.

Eventually io will pull you up on that and suggest long term visa.

Did you notice he is only staying here about two weeks and then is out of the country for a month to 6 weeks. I cannot imagine making a problem for him since he spends more time out of the country than here.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I cannot imagine making a problem for him since he spends more time out of the country than here

Agree, should not be an issue however have spoken to couple of chaps doing month on month off and both are being told to "get a visa" .

The OP being in Thailand for ~only 2 weeks at a time should (imo) be allowed to used visa exempt entries. 

17 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Everything is possible using an agent and it is hassle free, helps a lot of people and win-win for everybody. 

My first years here I never did 90 day reports due to frequent travel and as a result was not able to obtain TDL as a residence certificate was required.

Was not until covid subsequently did 90 reports I was able to obtain residence certificate.

I tried agents in Bangkok Fatboy's and BSR to "get around" the issue.

Both told me impossible. 

Places like Pattaya may be different.

Edited by DrJack54