why does my hard drive keep filling up?

BananaBandit

I don't download anything of considerable size.

And yet the C drive keeps filling up.

Why?

I have a Windows 7 laptop.  I don't want to upgrade.  My dear Lenovo has been wonderful, and I still believe she has much more to give.  I just want to understand why her C drive keeps filling up, and what I can do to remedy this matter.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

Are you sure it supports Windows 7  ?

It seems to say it won't run on my computer.

I am sure there is a version which runs on Windows 7, because that program exists forever.

Just click on that link and follow the steps and then it wants to download an exe file which installs this on your PC.

Worst case your Windows will tell you it can't be installed.

If that happens then post here again, preferably as a reply to one of my posts. Then I will dig a little deeper and find the correct version for you.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure there is a version which runs on Windows 7, because that program exists forever.

Just click on that link and follow the steps and then it wants to download an exe file which installs this on your PC.

Worst case your Windows will tell you it can't be installed.

If that happens then post here again, preferably as a reply to one of my posts. Then I will dig a little deeper and find the correct version for you.

Your link was for 64bit, we require 32bit one,

Win ????

• Thanks 1

I had the same problem a few years ago.  It ended up being the restore point setting was set to 100% so all new restore points just kept getting saved and building up, when you only need about the last few.

The fix for me was deleting all restore points, moving the setting slider from 100% down to about 5%, creating a new restore point, and I got back all my storage. 

Depending on your HDD size, you could even go lower than 5%. 

Check it out.  It could be the same problem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a long time since I used WIN7 but is it still receiving updates? Maybe doing a "disk clean" up of "system files" in "windows administrative tools" might remove a good few GB of space. Especially if you have never done that before. 

I also use CCLEANER FREE which can essentially do the same thing and more. Can also disable startup applications for faster boot times.

13 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

try doing disk defragmentation.......

disk defragmentation does not free up space or delete files. It simply moves data around on the HDD to speed up system. It's largely redunadant on recent PCs that used SSD disks (the OPs WIN7 is likely to be running HDD).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

disk defragmentation does not free up space or delete files. It simply moves data around on the HDD to speed up system. It's largely redunadant on recent PCs that used SSD disks (the OPs WIN7 is likely to be running HDD).

ok you know more than me....it was just a suggestion

• Like 1

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

It's a long time since I used WIN7 but is it still receiving updates? Maybe doing a "disk clean" up of "system files" in "windows administrative tools" might remove a good few GB of space. Especially if you have never done that before. 

I also use CCLEANER FREE which can essentially do the same thing and more. Can also disable startup applications for faster boot times.

My windows 7 very rarely gets an update.

Re the OP, see if you can set computer to delete history when shut down. Given I know little about the way computers work that may be wrong, and not do much.