Does my Insurance cover treatment for actenic keratosis?

zombie nights

I am getting cyrosurgery treatment for lesions on my head which if not treated could develop into cancer.I am treated at a major hospital in BKK which involves a few seconds of freeze time on my head.

I go to a treatment room but am apparently out patient when getting treatments. My insurance coverage says OPD "not covered" but my doctor says the insurance should pay as the treatment is medically necessary.

Any input?

• Haha 1

If you only have IPD coverage, it is unlikely that cryotherapy will be covered. For IPD cover to kick in, you would need to be admitted to hospital. There are exceptions to this, but cryotherapy for AK is probably not one of them. Check your policy. Usually the exceptions to the admission requirement are specifically mentioned. If not, ask your broker or the insurance company. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zombie nights said:

but my doctor says the insurance should pay as the treatment is medically necessary.

Does your doctor know exactly which policy you have? If not, how should he know if it's part of the contact?

Most doctors in Thailand (and other parts of the world) are interested in making money. He wants that you think it will all be paid by the insurance. And after it's done and his bill is paid the doctor will care little if you will get the money back from your insurance or not.

• Like 2