Senate endorses Student Loan Fund Bill with reductions in interest rate and fines

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-11-01T192324.275.png

The Senate voted 179:4 today (Tuesday) in support of the Student Loan Fund for Education Bill, earlier approved by the House, which seeks to exempt interest on loans and fines in case of repayment defaults.

A 27-member panel was set up to scrutinise the bill before it moves on to its second reading.

During the debate today, most senators agreed with the principle of student loans to enable disadvantaged students to further their studies, but opposed the idea of not charging interest on the loans granted or exempting fines for students who default on loan repayments, for fear that this may lead to a breakdown of financial discipline among the borrowers and depletion of loan fund for students in the future.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/senate-endorses-student-loan-fund-bill-with-reductions-in-interest-rate-and-fines/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Trying to match what's happening in the US, yet the funding for it here will come from where? I am not talking about the loan forgiveness, I am talking about the zero interest, and when a default happens here what will the consequences be.  I understand students borrowing to go to university, but I also believe that the family should be helping and partly responsible and a Student Loan form like a FAFSA be created and filled out to ensure the right amount of aid is granted here to those poorer students.

• Like 2

I see student loans like this.

Loans for students doing medicine, science etc should be suspended for 10 years and cancelled after 10 years in the field - so doctors and nurses , scientists who benefit the country would be educated for free.

All the rest doing media studies and anything that is not beneficial should pay it back from day one, with no delays or let offs.

You do  stupid study, you pay the money back !

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

It’s a great first step.  But I’m sure there are many students that want to further their education.  But they themselves and families are even too poor to pay a loan.

If the government actually provided job opportunities for graduates then there wouldn't be a problem.

The issue is, students take out a loan to get a better education to get a good job.

Leave University and nothing is available.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I see student loans like this.

Loans for students doing medicine, science etc should be suspended for 10 years and cancelled after 10 years in the field - so doctors and nurses , scientists who benefit the country would be educated for free.

All the rest doing media studies and anything that is not beneficial should pay it back from day one, with no delays or let offs.

You do  stupid study, you pay the money back !

I see another factor - why not offer student loans which the student can reduce / cancel by producing and implementing very highly innovate 'items' which are very highly valuable to society?

A twist of this, in some countries universities offer students/teams the free use of the uni resouces to expand/build their ideas, in cases where a uni academic/supporters team see the possibility of very high contributions to society. 

In one case, if the innovations is implemented and produces very hugh value the uni gets some form of return on their 'investment'. Incentive for the uni to go all out to help. 

Edited by scorecard