National Parks

Markus700

As with so many things here, I would say it depends entirely who you encounter on the day.

If you live here, yr ID card or driving licence can often help to show you are not a tourist. It had helped me several times (but not all).

On 11/1/2022 at 10:49 PM, CharlieH said:

As with so many things here, I would say it depends entirely who you encounter on the day.

If you live here, yr ID card or driving licence can often help to show you are not a tourist. It had helped me several times (but not all).

I`m asking for disabled foreigners....

So what is the new rate - we'll be doing our Xmas/New Year visit to Samed as per usual ( missed it the last 2 years ) as been back in the UK. Used to make it about 5+ times a year from Bangkok.

I also heard our usual speed boat to Samed Villa is no longer possible and we have to go to the main Samed pier.

20+ years and now they change it. We'd always get a speed boat at 8 and it would usually beat the officers to the beach, so no entry fee  ???? 

36 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

I also heard our usual speed boat to Samed Villa is no longer possible and we have to go to the main Samed pier

All the speed boats go to main pier. 

Just came back from Koh Samed and entrance is 200baht non Thai.

Speed boat service we used has a 300baht return deal but you book online latest one day prior. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Markus700 said:

Other than parking spaces and Toilets in major stores, I rarely see ANY concession or facilities for disabled people.But again, this may be different in high traffic tourist areas, as I never go there.

47 minutes ago, 2baht said:

All foreigners are fair game in Thailand, boycott the  national parks and let them know we are not impressed with their xenophobic, racist two tier pricing! 

That's right, we 150,000 expats should all boycott the national parks and hope the 7  to 40 million tourists who came to Thailand to see them on their annual holiday will do the same thing! 

• Thumbs Up 1

To the OP, it seems to be at the discretion who is collecting the fee at the gate.

When I first got here, I was never charged, or the Thai fee, if charged.  Rarely saw the gates attended, 20+ yrs ago.  Then things seemed to change, and more strict, though I'd never pay the farang fee, which would usually turn into the Thai fee, again, if any.  

TBH, most parks aren't even worth that, the Thai fee.  Basically stopped going all together, as the surrounding area is usually nicer, without the tourists.  3 yrs ago, popped into smaller park at Sam Roi Yot, part of the Nat Park system, and nephew had paid before myself & wife had a chance to use my Pink ID.  Wife said no thanks, and got a refund.  Then gate keeper said no prob, Thai fee for farang.  

And the park wasn't even worth that.  Nephew was out & about with family and camping, and we hung out for the day.  Fun day none the less, but he could have pitched his tent surfside anywhere, with nicer beach than what was in the park, as a bit krappy.   Nice to have toilet nearby though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2baht said:

All foreigners are fair game in Thailand, boycott the  national parks and let them know we are not impressed with their xenophobic, racist two tier pricing! 

True, but a few disgruntled farangs won't make any difference.  It's the fresh, naive tourists that they are after and those farangs, enchanted with Thainess, will happily pay 10x rip off price (just like I used to do). 

Thais know what they are doing.  They are among the best in the world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, farangnomore said:

True, but a few disgruntled farangs won't make any difference.  It's the fresh, naive tourists that they are after and those farangs, enchanted with Thainess, will happily pay 10x rip off price (just like I used to do). 

Thais know what they are doing.  They are among the best in the world.

Indeed this is the case. I tried making that point using sarcasm in my earlier post but I guess it didn't register with everyone.

The issue raised by the OP is discounts and access for disabled - I've never entered a national park with a disabled person so I can't say what the on the ground situation is.

However - disabled access as a policy is a rare thing. But mismanagement of the National parks is something that has been going on for decades so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Until about 7 years ago, I was able to "negotiate" my fees on entering national parks, but a few years back they reinforced the 2-tier pricing system and park employees were almost uniformly unable to let you in at "Thai rates".

The ridiculous entry fees are in fact just the tip of the iceberg - the National Parks are considered a political backwater by the Thai authorities who even in this day and age have no real understanding of conservation and wildlife issues.

"disgruntled" foreigners are in fact one of the few things foreigners can do in this situation - international shaming of the DNP is a valid tool. However it isn't just dual pricing, that is a symptom only, it is the whole raft conservation policies or lack of them that needs exposing

On 11/6/2022 at 1:53 AM, Markus700 said:

No matter what is said here, no matter what regulations are cited I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are charged. I've been going to nps for 25 years. I pay at my favorite park despite being married, having O visa, having work permit, going to park for 20 years and often /and stay weeks.