New Passport/Marriage Extension

My experience yesterday and my misunderstanding? ; Having got my extension in Aug and knowing I would need a new passport and told at the time, expiring 23 Jan 23, I duly now have the new passport, I also was given information here that they no longer transfer visas/extensions to your new passport and that was stopped in 2013, so I thought I would just do it now. Wrong after gathering all documentation required with wife and witness in tow, I went to Trat immigration, in the hope of a new extension, I was told "we will transfer it to your new passport its the LAW" and come back one month before old passport expires, the old passport has been cancelled but a stamp in it says "Any valid visas in this passport remain valid".  Another lesson learnt and another day and expenses wasted. 

34184131_IMG_20220809_142014(2).thumb.jpg.aef2d9c7784fc6005a165bd959124f43.jpg 

When you get a new passport you are then suppose to go to Thai immigration to have them transfer stamps to your new passport.  It's free and fast.  I did it just a few months ago.

Since your old passport was expiring 23 Jan 2023 when you did your marriage extension in Aug 2022 immigration would not have given you a full 12 month extension to Aug 2023 since you passport was only good to Jan 2023...immigration would have only given a 5 month extension to Jan 2023 to match up with your passport's Jan 2023 expiration.

So, now you need to apply for a new extension 30 to 45 days before your current Jan 2023 extension expires.

Edited by Pib

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will only transfer the stamps to your new passport now.

When your shortened extension expires is when you will be able to apply for a new one.

Yes I realize that now I misunderstood the 2013 rule , I should just have waited a couple of more months.