Drink Driving

Seppius

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I heard first hand from a bloke that I know in Udon Thani that he was slightly over at about 10.15pm on a Saturday night, and was given two choices, i.e. pay 10k baht or so and go home, otherwise go to jail for the night, pay 20k fine and go to court the next day. He was driven to an ATM and paid and was let go.

Is this a deterrent or is it for their pockets I ask you, who is policing what ?

Mate got popped in UT, and the standard 'real' fine is 3k (2010 ?), although, 20k is needed, and requires an overnight.  Next day see judge, 3k fine, 17k returned.

The fine itself wasn't much of a deterrent, but his wife ???? was ???? 

• Like 1

Thai's drive and ride the same drunk or sober.

loads of dead sober people, in accidents here. ( they don't care at all )

But the police and authorities like to blame the alcohol and not the person.

it would make the nation look bad to tell the truth about there true behavior on the roads.

The Hub of the blame game culture.

20 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

it would make the nation look bad to tell the truth about there true behavior on the roads.

The Hub of the blame game culture.

Are you seriously suggesting this? :crazy:

But obviously they do, otherwise they would not be standing at a junction at  Pratumnak/Threppaya at 02:45 am testing for alcohol.

No, if a driver has an accident and then tests positive to a DUI, the alcohol will have played a part in the driver's judgement and driving skills.

The police will then put the cause of the accident down to the driver being under the influence.

That is the same worldwide.

Thai police do not put the blame on alcohol if there was no alcohol involved.

23 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Are you seriously suggesting this? :crazy:

But obviously they do, otherwise they would not be standing at a junction at  Pratumnak/Threppaya at 02:45 am testing for alcohol.

No, if a driver has an accident and then tests positive to a DUI, the alcohol will have played a part in the driver's judgement and driving skills.

The police will then put the cause of the accident down to the driver being under the influence.

That is the same worldwide.

Thai police do not put the blame on alcohol if there was no alcohol involved.

You missed my point

Thailand will not shame its people over drink driving.

The alcohol did it, not the person.

The consequences for what they do is a laugh.

pay some dosh off the hook, or just run away.

And yes they do drive the same drunk or sober. 

Two fast, Two stupid. Two selfish. no alcohol required. :bah:

Edited by Orinoco

12 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

You missed my point

Thailand will not shame its people over drink driving.

The alcohol did it, not the person.

The consequences for what they do is a laugh.

pay some dosh off the hook, or just run away.

Two fast, Two stupid. Two selfish. no alcohol required. :bah:

You missed my point

Not missed, understood but brushed off as being totally wrong, ludicrous and just another anti-Thai rant.

That is nothing more than an uneducated statement.

What you are suggesting is that alcohol does not have any effect on the driving skills of Thais.

Why do they have a drink drive law here for then?

I will agree that there is a high degree of unsafe drivers on the roads in Thailand but not all Thai drivers are bad.

I know many Thai drivers who i would trust more than most of the Westerners driving here.

• Like 1

Just now, Bert got kinky said:

You missed my point

Not missed, understood but brushed off as being totally wrong, ludicrous and just another anti-Thai rant.

That is nothing more than an uneducated statement.

What you are suggesting is that alcohol does not have any effect on the driving skills of Thais.

Why do they have a drink drive law here for then?

I will agree that there is a high degree of unsafe drivers on the roads in Thailand but not all Thai drivers are bad.

I know many Thai drivers who i would trust more than most of the Westerners driving here.

ok, you win.

But  

:giggle:

2 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

ok, you win.

But  

:giggle:

Please advise me, how long have you been driving on the roads in mainland Thailand (away from the tourist areas)?

How many Thai drivers do you really actually know.

BTW, the reason why the police are checking for drunk drivers in Pattaya is mainly because of the amount of Westerners who drink drive in the area.

I never drive after sun down. At least once a week, we witness the car/pickup in front driving erratically, the nut behind the wheel presumably drunk, stoned, or playing with their phone. The wife's aunt was knocked off her motorcycle outside 7/11 by a drunk in a pickup just last night - she is now in hospital. What will happen to the drunk? Not enough, for sure. We had a drunk in a pickup following his gps, drive into our metal fence earlier in the year - he was so drunk he could hardly talk and kept falling over, but he was very apologetic, so all good! He phoned the guys he had been drinking with and they took him and his pickup away.

21 hours ago, Seppius said:

If you still get on your motorbike after drinking, particularly at night, be very careful the police are having checks all over the city late into the night., unless you want to blow

There are no more checks than normal. There are 3 main areas you avoid that nearly always have checkpoints.

1. Outside the old Tony gym at the junction of Pattaya Tai and 3rd road.

2. As you mentioned at the junction of Pratumnak and Thrapraya road

3. On 3rd road by the Dolphin roundabout.

These checkpoints are nearly always there, avoid them. I know of no others. The police do not set up random checkpoints anywhere in the city at that time of night.

26 minutes ago, jimn said:

There are no more checks than normal. There are 3 main areas you avoid that nearly always have checkpoints.

1. Outside the old Tony gym at the junction of Pattaya Tai and 3rd road.

2. As you mentioned at the junction of Pratumnak and Thrapraya road

3. On 3rd road by the Dolphin roundabout.

These checkpoints are nearly always there, avoid them. I know of no others. The police do not set up random checkpoints anywhere in the city at that time of night.

Daytime report here, the few times I've been having a few at Beach Rd and Soi 8 before noon the BIB have been having a checkpoint. Mainly for helmets and then of course what else they can find.

6 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Back in the day in Farangland, I once pushed my aging Vespa about 5 klm home to avoid a DUI charge.  Ironically, I was stopped twice by the coppers - they assumed I was nicking the Vespa.

If that was in UK would it not be classed as drunk in charge of a vehicle?

• Thumbs Up 1

DUI related not Thailand… China is zero tolerance… if you drove your car to pub ..whatever there is a service a driver shows up to pub puts ebike in your car trunk (boot) and drives you and your car home. Takes ebike and heads off. …. @ $15-20 US and much better than jail time and fine and loss of license. You have to pass driving test again to license back.