Drink Driving

Seppius

If you still get on your motorbike after drinking, particularly at night, be very careful the police are having checks all over the city late into the night., unless you want to blow B20,000

Don't mean this to be a right or wrong issue on the subject, but with BOLT being so cheap, it seems a no-brainer to leave the bike at home

02:45 am last night Pratumnak/Threppaya stopping everything for alcohol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bob smith said:

who the hell is out driving around drunk at 2:45am ? more fool them i say.

Well walking street and LK Metro are closing around 2/2:30, so I guess that's the target time, you see plenty of guys getting on their bikes in that area at that time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Go out have fun, drink and rent a cab

While I agree that is the correct thing to do, it's still a bit of a lottery as to what your taxi driver may or may not have been consuming since they woke up until the time they pick you up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Part of the reason i never drive at night. I think it is essential to live on a baht bus route so you can travel almost anywhere around town easily, for 10 baht. If you need to go off their route yes a Bolt taxi is the answer. People are crazy to risk their licences, and a 20k fine, and damage to their cars, just to drive to a local bar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Back in the day in Farangland, I once pushed my aging Vespa about 5 klm home to avoid a DUI charge.  Ironically, I was stopped twice by the coppers - they assumed I was nicking the Vespa.

Which part of Farangland? In England you could still be changed with DUI in that situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well the 10,000 it cost him may well be a deterrent but too  small a one. I had heard that if one 'sticks it out' that the official fine from the court is less, but you suffer the discomfort of staying in the cells etc. Also you will be extorted there too..... in the station, and perhaps threatened with a trip to immigration to cancel your 'visa' after court... unless.... outstretched palm. Yes, it is about making money. 

I don't think the 10k baht is a deterrent as he and others still drive over the limit, agree it's about making money, and not saving lives at all.

Stick them in the think tank, that would be the deterrent I say.

In general, apart from being a good, moral citizen, two aspects prevent people drinking and driving.......

1. The chance of being caught

2. The severity of the penalty 

These are inversely proportional to each other..........so the penalty needs to be very severe.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Seppius said:

If you still get on your motorbike after drinking, particularly at night, be very careful the police are having checks all over the city late into the night., unless you want to blow B20,000

Don't mean this to be a right or wrong issue on the subject, but with BOLT being so cheap, it seems a no-brainer to leave the bike at home

02:45 am last night Pratumnak/Threppaya stopping everything for alcohol

Good.