Opening a Bank Account with Tourist Visa

I know through a friend that a Danish man with a tourist visa has tried to open an account recently with the BBK in Bangkok and was refused. i don't know the reason given but I would like to make the question simple.

What is the minimum requirement, documents, etc for a foreigner to open a Bank account in Thailand?

Thank you for the help

Best is to employ an agent for guaranteed success. If unable to pay the agent fees, one should not be even looking at opening a bank account. The other path is take suggestions in this forum and wander around in the scorching sun and start visiting all and every banks one could but success is not guaranteed. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If he went to only one branch and stopped looking he's a Quitter. Need to try many branches, prioritise farang areas, requirements vary so go to branches and ask. No need to buy insurance or use an agent

Funny you should mention having to buy insurance. I wanted to get a safety deposit box at a bank at which I have had an account - and been a good customer - for 10 years, and they wanted me to buy life insurance for which I would have to pay in 500,000 baht a year for five years! Ridiculous, and even more so for someone like me who doesn't have any dependents. I (jokingly) suggested to the bank employee trying to sell me this useless insurance that I could marry her and name her the beneficiary of my life insurance. She thought that was a good idea.

I then went to another bank in the same mall. That one would have been willing to rent me a safety deposit box without the need for buying insurance, but they require a work permit for me to open an account, which is a requirement for getting the safety deposit box. And I'm on a retirement visa, so I don't have a work permit. Anyway, I'll keep trying to overcome these obstacles, which are all part of the challenge of living in Thailand.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Best is to employ an agent for guaranteed success. If unable to pay the agent fees, one should not be even looking at opening a bank account. The other path is take suggestions in this forum and wander around in the scorching sun and start visiting all and every banks one could but success is not guaranteed. 

Never heard of needing an agent for opening a bank account...   which agent would you recommend ? and how much are they ??

Op - the requirements of banks in different area’s varies with some guys getting luckier at some than others.... 

... with a tourist visa and limited documentation be prepared to get kicked-back a number of times before you achieve success.

To improve your chances get proof of address which is commonly asked for:

- Certificate of Residence (from Immigration) or 

- Affirmation of Residence (from Embassy)

Once you have one of these documents then just hit up banks in area’s which would likely deal with a lot of foreigners and keep trying until you achieve results. 

Various banks seem more open to foreigners, but again, mileage varies - Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Banks seems to be the banks at which most foreigners have reported success with limited paper work. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Op - the requirements of banks in different area’s varies with some guys getting luckier at some than others.... 

... with a tourist visa and limited documentation be prepared to get kicked-back a number of times before you achieve success.

Once you have one of these documents then just hit up banks in area’s which would likely deal with a lot of foreigners and keep trying until you achieve results. 

Various banks seem more open to foreigners, but again, mileage varies - Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Banks seems to be the banks at which most foreigners have reported success with limited paper work. 

maybe he could start by saying "Can I deposit a million baht here in this Bank".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Never heard of needing an agent for opening a bank account

Agents are available for everything under the sun. If you're in Facebook, you would see their ads everywhere. I have not used an agent for a bank account because when I opened (2011) it was easy and one could walk into any bank and open one. But I have used for immigration, DL, Buying/Selling cars, etc. 

Edited by Onerak

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

No need to buy insurance or use an agent

If one could afford, one should use an agent for guaranteed success instead of wandering in the scorching sun going bank to bank. Some people prefer that instead of spending a little money. 

38 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

I (jokingly) suggested to the bank employee trying to sell me this useless insurance that I could marry her and name her the beneficiary of my life insurance. She thought that was a good idea.

At the same time she was probably working out how she would finish you off

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Onerak said:

If one could afford, one should use an agent for guaranteed success instead of wandering in the scorching sun going bank to bank. Some people prefer that instead of spending a little money. 

If very elderly or mentally challenged i would agree

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The OP was asking about Bangkok.

You are correct about residence certificate or letter from embassy.

The residence certificate would not be possible from visa exempt and tourist visa as CW require a 90 day report.

Some embassies do not provide letter.

Oz embassy being one example. 

The best option is use of agent.

Has quick turn around.

Cost 3-3.5k.

They will use Bangkok Bank (most likely)

Once you have the bank account there is no need for agent to obtain non O and extention (if that is the intention). 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for helping me out here. I have since received a message from the guy involved and he will be able to supply proof of residence with copy of contract from his landlord.

He  will get himself what I believe is a 5 year elite visa and has an immediate proposal to deposit equal to  20,000 euros in the bank he can open it with.

I imagine that ends my interest in the case.

Thank you again

29 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I have since received a message from the guy involved and he will be able to supply proof of residence with copy of contract from his landlord.

Fine but lease will not be sufficient to obtain a residence certificate in Bangkok from immigration office..

They will require a 90 day report.