Surf Shark VPN

Tofer

Surfshark works OK .. It's cheap, does what it says on the tin. I use the app on my firestick to watch iplayer.

There are better VPNs, surfshark doesn't access all of the iplayer streams and it only uses openVPN protocol - this is fine for most.

I use personal internet access - for one, it has a specific London server for UK streaming, they dont "guarantee" the other servers will be able to access video servers like iplayer and ITV. The service failed for a couple of days over the past year, but they were really transparent, and quick to respond - the work they did much improved the speed - surfshark servers are quite slow, again, it's fine for most.

Take a look around to if the VPNs offer this streaming server in the US or UK (wherever you want to access), someone mentioned cyberghost - They are reputable, you can find a chat line on most VPN website, push them for a deal to match surfshark - express and Nord are also worth looking at.

If you want to mention what you want a VPN, where you want to egress, maybe your devices or how you are going to implement the VPN the response would be more detailed.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, maybe explain what you want a VPN for, to get some more relevant recommendations.

If its just to watch TV programs from home, then the country you want to access would be relevant. 

That is the reason. I want to watch BBC world news from the UK.

7 minutes ago, Tofer said:

That is the reason. I want to watch BBC world news from the UK.

Cactus vpn, pay monthly, quarterly, dont havd to buy a year ! Worked fine for me for bbc iplayer etc

Use on multiple devices, I used laptop and tablet mostly.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, recom273 said:

If you want to mention what you want a VPN, where you want to egress, maybe your devices or how you are going to implement the VPN the response would be more detailed.

Thanks for the advice.

It would be for watching UK TV on a tablet / laptop, predominantly BBC iplayer and ITV player Not interested in watching anything on a tiny phone screen.

6 hours ago, DezLez said:

I also use and am happy with Veepn for watching TV and just showing my connection to be in the UK. 

21 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I personally use Veepn, which I find satisfactory for my needs.

Thanks, sounds like it's certainly worth a try.

12 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Thanks, sounds like it's certainly worth a try.

The free browser extension is exactly that, a browser extension, NOT a programme!

Go the extension setting in your browser, add extension, or whatever it says, and type in "VeePN" and add it!

All done. 

I use an IP locator (https://ip.me) to make sure it has actually connected to my country of choice as sometimes it gets stuck in a wrong country before I connect to the site I want! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

Thanks for the advice.

It would be for watching UK TV on a tablet / laptop, predominantly BBC iplayer and ITV player Not interested in watching anything on a tiny phone screen.

You will be fine on surfshark - they have an android app that you can just switch on and off. 

I don’t know if you can use surfshark to access itvhub - they are changing to itvx very soon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

ps. i did my time on cheap, free vpns and they just weren't worth the hassle, a decent vpn is well worth the money for easy tv viewing

Totally agree. I thought I could manage (with a lot of patience) to view geo-blocked websites for free. However, I just tried Browsec and VeePN. On one blocked website VeePN failed to open it.

1 hour ago, Richard 2020 said:

Unlike a "Real" VPS!

Thanks, would you consider Nord and Surf Shark as real VPNs?

Sorry for the inane questions, but I find the new technology / systems mind boggling.... ????

I understand, more or less, what they are intended for and do, but when it comes to checking them out it leaves me cold...

Edited by Tofer

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Thanks, I discovered that yesterday. They have a decent offer though of a 5-year subscription for $99.99

I use the free version every day to watch the BBC iPlayer with practically no problems even with a not particularly fast connection.

The only problem is occasionally it logs into France and not London which is why I check the IP before logging on to the BBC.  Otherwise, it works well

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

It is important to know the difference between a VPN and a free, quasi VPN!

The free VPN are just NO real VPN, they are only PROXYS!
A proxy server is also no guarantee for your security. Although your data traffic is usually not assigned to you as a user, but the transmitted data is not additionally encrypted.

A web-based proxy server can hide your IP address, which makes it difficult for a web server to determine your physical location. But just because your IP address is obfuscated doesn't mean your web traffic is encrypted at the same time. That means your data requests - such as usernames, passwords, and other account information - are still at risk.

Unlike a "Real" VPS!

The OP only wants it for TV streaming so security and encryption are not important, just geolocation.

4 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

The free VPN are just NO real VPN, they are only PROXYS!

Windscribe limited download total free VPN is different to their unlimited VPN offering.......?

Tunnel Bear and others who have a lower tier free offering?

Not from my reading.

Yes I appreciate if you want to regularly stream content then a free "limited" offering isn't going to be enough.

• Thanks 1