Facebook owner Meta expected to announce major job losses

onthedarkside

Screenshot_17.jpg.57e4a0c2d5daf242dd2158b9d93ab48e.jpg

Facebook's parent company Meta is reportedly planning to begin large-scale lay-offs this week that will affect thousands of employees.

US media reported at the weekend that the job cuts could be announced as early as Wednesday.

Meta has about 87,000 employees worldwide across its different platforms, which include Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp.

(more)

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-63541591

BBC.jpg.jpg.4bca94963b3f478e0f4fc371cc706196.jpg

Meta laying off 11,000 as tech industry slashes jobs

Facebook’s parent company is facing severe threats to its business model, including competition for users and advertising dollars from TikTok

Facebook parent company Meta plans to cut more than 11,000 jobs, or 13 percent of its workforce, as it seeks to scale back expenses and transform its business in a more competitive digital advertising market.

The social media giant also will cut discretionary spending and extend its hiring freeze through March in a bid to become “leaner and more efficient,” Meta chief executive Mark Zuckerberg said in a Wednesday statement.

He called the layoffs “some of the most difficult changes we’ve made in Meta’s history” and noted that all employees would soon get an email “letting you know what this layoff means for you.”

(more)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/09/facebook-layoffs/

WAPO.jpg.c65211cf0267c090bf19503f80963319.jpg

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If that company vanished entirely, IMO it would be a good thing for society, but sadly another one would take it's place and social media would live on.

I used to use Facebook a lot but account was suspended 10 days ago after I was hacked. In the email they quoted me around 24 to sort it out. It has been 10 days now with no response from Facebook, and this is before the lay offs.

What will be the response time after they lay off 13% of the workforce?

10 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

Meta laying off 11,000 as tech industry slashes jobs

Facebook’s parent company is facing severe threats to its business model, including competition for users and advertising dollars from TikTok

Facebook parent company Meta plans to cut more than 11,000 jobs, or 13 percent of its workforce, as it seeks to scale back expenses and transform its business in a more competitive digital advertising market.

The social media giant also will cut discretionary spending and extend its hiring freeze through March in a bid to become “leaner and more efficient,” Meta chief executive Mark Zuckerberg said in a Wednesday statement.

He called the layoffs “some of the most difficult changes we’ve made in Meta’s history” and noted that all employees would soon get an email “letting you know what this layoff means for you.”

(more)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/09/facebook-layoffs/

WAPO.jpg.c65211cf0267c090bf19503f80963319.jpg

In his message to employees, Zuckerberg said he accepted full responsibility for the situation that led to the mas firing. Which is B.S. If he really accepted responsibility for his errors, he should have fired himself.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

I used to use Facebook a lot but account was suspended 10 days ago after I was hacked. In the email they quoted me around 24 to sort it out. It has been 10 days now with no response from Facebook, and this is before the lay offs.

I enjoy FB and use it, primarily to keep in touch with family and friends.  I don't use it for news but it's nice to keep a finger on the pulse of what ordinary people are saying.  As far as getting suspended, I have managed to stay on the better side of the rather vague 'Community Standards', but I did fall afoul of them when a former student I was chatting with on a thread made a few innocuous and humorous inquiries.  I posted, "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you", with two smiley face emojis.  Apparently, that is threatening and I received a warning.  I contested it and the warning was rescinded. 

It took them a very long time to get around to dealing with it.  And the notice that the post would be reinstated.   There was a message that FB apologies for the time it was taking to deal with it due to staff shortages during Covid -- or something to that effect. 

6 months later, I get a 2nd warning for THE SAME POST.   Again, I contested and this time it was found to 'violate community standards.'  

I have a lot of friends who have had their accounts hacked.  I'd suggest changing your password to something quite hard to crack.  

I suspect I was dealing with an algorithm that picked up a suspicious word.  Now, I am a little more careful.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Credo said:

I suspect they will not go down, but sadly, between them nearly 15,000 people will be having trouble not going down the pan.

Yeah, that post of mine was callous when thinking about those losing their jobs, I’ll delete it.

While I do feel some empathy for those losing their jobs, I will not personally miss neither tw*tter or facilebook if they do go under. 

Edited by Bluespunk

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

I enjoy FB and use it, primarily to keep in touch with family and friends.  I don't use it for news but it's nice to keep a finger on the pulse of what ordinary people are saying.  As far as getting suspended, I have managed to stay on the better side of the rather vague 'Community Standards', but I did fall afoul of them when a former student I was chatting with on a thread made a few innocuous and humorous inquiries.  I posted, "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you", with two smiley face emojis.  Apparently, that is threatening and I received a warning.  I contested it and the warning was rescinded. 

It took them a very long time to get around to dealing with it.  And the notice that the post would be reinstated.   There was a message that FB apologies for the time it was taking to deal with it due to staff shortages during Covid -- or something to that effect. 

6 months later, I get a 2nd warning for THE SAME POST.   Again, I contested and this time it was found to 'violate community standards.'  

I have a lot of friends who have had their accounts hacked.  I'd suggest changing your password to something quite hard to crack.  

I suspect I was dealing with an algorithm that picked up a suspicious word.  Now, I am a little more careful.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect we are seeing the decline of social media as people wake up to how toxic and divisive it really is.

Meta faces record EU privacy fines

EU is finalizing imminent decisions on the legality of the US tech giant’s data-hungry business model.

That's a substantial hit for Meta, which announced last month it was laying off 11,000 employees globally amid lower sales and major costs linked to the firm's pivot to the metaverse.

Beyond hitting Meta's pocket, the three fines expected within weeks could also put a bomb under its broader business model.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-fines-meta-privacy-tech-security-facebook-whatsapp-instagram/