Opening hours for bars, malls, and many other venues could be shrunk to save electricity

snoop1130

5 hours ago, lor said:

I remember Thaksin decided to close all petrol stations through the night. Said it would save lots of electricity. He forgot that the trucks carry the food through the night! Everywhere ended up without any food deliveries. The decision was soon reversed.

Just another case of a rich billionaire not having much savvy. You don't need to be a billionaire to not have much between the ears. The unelected Thai PM and his sleeping partner has proved that time and time again.

How about sensible temperature settings for indoor buildings such as 25 degrees and not felt minus degrees like in some government buildings and hospitals.

For long-term, insulation for wall and windows should be mandatory but I'm probably thinking too far, this is too much for Thai mindset

5 hours ago, csmith said:

Didn't we go through this a few years ago ….. I remember petrol stations closing at night.

Yep.. under Thaksin... 

The issue with these reactions and decisions is that they are made by people in positions of extreme power in a society which avoids any form of critical decision bolstered by face and Kraeng-Jai.... 

... thus, there is no one present to suggest to these leaders, decision makers and power players... “are you out of your mind?, thats an utterly preposterous idea because..."

And this is the fundamental problem to a lot of issues, not just here but in many places - those in positions of decision making power are inexperienced or unknowledgeable and many of those who do know are not sufficiently positioned in the ‘food chain’ for their educated and valid options to not only be recognised but to be understood..... 

In this case, it only takes one person in that meeting room to ask.... “Where would those who would otherwise be in the bar go to ???? Home and turn on their AC ??” (as many have already pointed out). 

This isnt about saving electricity, Its about limiting what people can do.

As mentioned there are other more sensible ways to reduce electric wastage if that's what they really intended.

People say we need to use less energy but i disagree, as with that comes loss of productivity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLW said:

How about sensible temperature settings for indoor buildings such as 25 degrees and not felt minus degrees like in some government buildings and hospitals.

For long-term, insulation for wall and windows should be mandatory but I'm probably thinking too far, this is too much for Thai mindset

I reckon if asked a local 'builder' to put up double walls with a cavity  he would just look at you as though you had two heads. ????

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Thailand has large overcapacity of electricity. That comes from hydropowers in Laos dams, which are thai owned. 
so the more electricity is used the faster return on investment. 
Surplus power is higher at nighttime when industrial production is at the lowest. 
As to gas sourced power - let economy, that includes also entertainment, to run at maximum. Generate surplus of products and invest profits in supplies, natural resources. 

When crisis kicks in do think about contingency plans. 
But at this stage its premature and singling out only entertainment looks like a moral crusade and not as an economic calculation. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 6:33 PM, overherebc said:

I reckon if asked a local 'builder' to put up double walls with a cavity  he would just look at you as though you had two heads. ????

And then asking government to reduce or subsidy electric bills because A/C in the house is running 24 hours. Just dumb