portable internet?

parafareno

is there a place where you can buy a free montly internet that works everywhere...like you put in a sim that has unlimited traffic and high speed?  i need for my condo something ike this..

like a modem, router, not for using by phone as hotspot

Edited by parafareno

11 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i mean unlimited internet, not free, unlimited downloads, not capped

You'll need a Thai SIM card which is easily available at 7/11's or at AIS or True stores in shopping malls, I'm sure there's no problem getting unlimited internet usage. Best to just go into one of the True or AIS shops and discuss with them what you need, take your passport with you to register the SIM..

• Thanks 1

Yes, you can buy SIM routers that pull the internet from the telephone network and push it back out on Wi-Fi. My Mrs bought a couple to take back out to the village where wired internet was not possible, I had to set them up and make sure they worked, easy peasy, and the report I got back was they worked quite well. They were 4G, but perhaps 5G ones can be had now. They can be moved around too. I presume it works better than hot-spotting from your phone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

can use hotspot with your Thai phone and Sim.

I have unlimited data with AIS on my phone, I pay around 375 a month

connects to pc no problem using hotspot, speed or around 20 Meg

if you want something else, you can buy a wifi router from AIS to put in your condo, just plug it in.  2,400 one time payment for a year.  Can use LAN with this.  Speed between 20 and 30 Meg

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

No such thing as unlimited internet at high speed. You pay for a certain amount at high speed, then when that's used up, it goes down to a trickle.

Yep! They often forget to tell you that part. In Thailand, unlimited doesn't mean unlimited as we would understand it. Lost in translation or misleading marketing, take your pick.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yep! They often forget to tell you that part. In Thailand, unlimited doesn't mean unlimited as we would understand it. Lost in translation or misleading marketing, take your pick.

Same  as in other countries

• Thanks 1

Do you want this for a longer period up to a year e.g.?

There have been some threads about SIM cards  for internet speeds like 30 Mbit/s without(!) throttling. Cost about 1600 to 2000 Baht/year.

Other offers are high speed 100 Mbit/s but with throttling after like 100 or 60 GB/month.

Many other variants available. Usually to be ordered online. 

SIM routers or "pocket WiFi" are easily available at shops (Tukcom e.g.).

Pocket WiFi is compact battery powered so you can take it with you. A bit out of fashion.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, parafareno said:

is there a place where you can buy a free montly internet that works everywhere...like you put in a sim that has unlimited traffic and high speed? 

Yes lazada or any decent IT outlet.

A few weeks ago I had a problem with 3BB so kicked them into touch. I bought a TP Link router Archer MR400, about 2500 baht, and a 12 month DTAC sim card about 1300 baht.

Works good enough for me as long as you are not too ambitious on watching videos.

You need to activate the sim on a phone first and then just stick it into the router and logon to the network. The router can be taken anywhere you want, even abroad if you get a local sim card.

• Like 1

I don't want to write everything again. If you are interested please look at the link below about my SIM card router experience.

30 Mbps with unlimited data you can get for 235 a month at Lazada. There are very many other packages there. Normally you will not get these offers at the shops of the ISP. Often the activation is via seller. So you don't have to go anywhere to activate it. 

54 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yes lazada or any decent IT outlet.

A few weeks ago I had a problem with 3BB so kicked them into touch. I bought a TP Link router Archer MR400, about 2500 baht, and a 12 month DTAC sim card about 1300 baht.

Works good enough for me as long as you are not too ambitious on watching videos.

You need to activate the sim on a phone first and then just stick it into the router and logon to the network. The router can be taken anywhere you want, even abroad if you get a local sim card.

Which DTAC SIM do you have and what speeds to you get with it? And what is your location? 

12 minutes ago, SportRider said:

I pay 300bht pm for unlimited internet at 20mb/s.  AIS package.

Screenshot_20221112_090219.jpg

You can have AIS 30 Mbps unlimited for 235 Baht at Lazada. The main question is do you need a phone number for a longer time. Many Lazada packages are valid for 6 or 12 months. Then you will have to buy often a new package with a new phone number then. 

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Which DTAC SIM do you have and what speeds to you get with it? And what is your location? 

The sim was labeled as 15Mbps but results with testmy.com  a bit variable.

I am about 5-6 miles inland of Chonburi city.

As said,  good enough for me. I use Kodi to watch TV and try and keep the video file below 2Gb, much larger and you can get some buffering.

Of course the critics will be along in a bit to say anything below 4K is not worth watching. Having come from 405 line monochrome I am not particularly bothered.

About 5pm I usually watch BBC news live and that is pretty much the same as it was with 3BB. With live TV other factors come into play and difficult to pin down the source of interuptions.

Good luck.

test 121122.JPG

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The sim was labeled as 15Mbps but results with testmy.com  a bit variable.

I am about 5-6 miles inland of Chonburi city.

As said,  good enough for me. I use Kodi to watch TV and try and keep the video file below 2Gb, much larger and you can get some buffering.

Of course the critics will be along in a bit to say anything below 4K is not worth watching. Having come from 405 line monochrome I am not particularly bothered.

About 5pm I usually watch BBC news live and that is pretty much the same as it was with 3BB. With live TV other factors come into play and difficult to pin down the source of interuptions.

Good luck.

test 121122.JPG

Thank you. What I try to find out is if there is much / any difference between the 30 Mbps and the lower speed packages. At this moment I get with my DTAC 30 Mbps only 22 down at speedtest.net here in Central Pattaya. But a thunderstorm is approaching ????????⛈️Perhaps this makes a difference. But it always changes. Was the same with AIS and True. Only my 3BB VDSL is pretty constant. 

6 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Thank you. What I try to find out is if there is much / any difference between the 30 Mbps and the lower speed packages. At this moment I get with my DTAC 30 Mbps only 22 down at speedtest.net here in Central Pattaya. But a thunderstorm is approaching ????????⛈️Perhaps this makes a difference. But it always changes. Was the same with AIS and True. Only my 3BB VDSL is pretty constant. 

I had 3BB fiber and was getting significantly higher speeds, so much so any fluctuation was irrelevant. My wife had been on at me for some time to change to sim but I had been reluctant. A few weeks back now the internet suddenly went off about 9am but it was about 3pm the following day before a service engineer turned up. My wife says everyone is changing over to sim card internet and the likes of 3BB are laying off support staff and the problem is only going to get worse. I agreed to make the change and here we are. 

It is not as good as a fixed arrangement but cheaper and more flexible. I only have to use it for 6 months and it will  have paid for itself and if need be I can go back to the fibre.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, digger70 said:

Same  as in other countries

Mine in London with Virgin is 300+ every day - it doesn't drop. I check often.

I do reboot the router once a week at the weekend when I pop to the shops.

My old BT one did drop.

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

AIS sells a little SIM-card router – both WiFi and RJ45 connection – that works on 4G and 5G...????

You are not quite right on the last point, the 5G will refer to 5Gz as in dual band wi-fi.

There are very few 5G cellular network routers on the market and what there are are quite expensive, £400+.

I did a bit of homework first and opted for the TP-link MR400

https://www.tp-link.com/th/home-networking/3g-4g-router/archer-mr400/

Got it from lazada for 2500 baht.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

You can have AIS 30 Mbps unlimited for 235 Baht at Lazada. The main question is do you need a phone number for a longer time. Many Lazada packages are valid for 6 or 12 months. Then you will have to buy often a new package with a new phone number then. 

If you are putting the sim in a router the phone number becomes academic.

The most economical sim for a router is a 12 month one.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, parafareno said:

but you cant get speed 100 mb download right? It will be like 10 or 20 mb / sec

I have had a 4G SIM-card wireless router as backbone for several years, it works on 2Mbps to 4Mbps. It costed me about 2,500 baht to buy and cirka 500 baht in monthly subscription for unlimited download (499 + vat = 533.93), with the first 8 GB at highest available speed, and the remaining on 128 Kbps. You can get different subscriptions, but I only need it as backbone, if the wired line fails...????

My Sim card cost me 100 baht from dtac and I pay 200 baht per month for unlimited internet at 15mbps. Constantly use Netflix no problem at that speed.

Note: I get "free internet at maximum speed" for 3 days everytime I renew and I haven't noticed any difference so 15mbps  seems fine for movie streaming

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

I have had a 4G SIM-card wireless router as backbone for several years, it works on 2Mbps to 4Mbps. It costed me about 2,500 baht to buy and cirka 500 baht in monthly subscription for unlimited download (499 + vat = 533.93), with the first 8 GB at highest available speed, and the remaining on 128 Kbps. You can get different subscriptions, but I only need it as backbone, if the wired line fails...????

Why don't you buy one of the MUCH cheaper packages at Lazada? 

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

I don't mean to be rude but do you mean 'backup' rather than 'backbone'?