Visa run to Cambodia

37 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Can you, please, tell me if there are any Covid related requirements when entering Laos at the moment?

Ban Pakard is a border crossing with Cambodia, not Laos. No Covid related requirements at the moment whatsoever. 

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Where are you located?

Laos could be a much longer trip than Cambodia dependent upon where you staying.

I am in Pattaya. I made visa runs to Laos many times before. But never to Cambodia. Feel not so sure about navigating towards the Cambodian border and back. When I get to Chantaburi - how easily will be I able to find a ride to Ban Pakkad?
Still I would prefer to go to Cambodia this time because it is definitely a shorter and a less expensive route.

2 hours ago, Hellfire said:

I am in Pattaya. I made visa runs to Laos many times before. But never to Cambodia. Feel not so sure about navigating towards the Cambodian border and back. When I get to Chantaburi - how easily will be I able to find a ride to Ban Pakkad?
Still I would prefer to go to Cambodia this time because it is definitely a shorter and a less expensive route.

Your concerns about the journey to and from the border are reasonable. The last time I did it, there were both vans and songtaews from Chanthaburi to Ban Pakkard, but you need to know where to board them. It is easy enough if you speak Thai, but could be tricky otherwise. You should also set off early from Pattaya. Transport back in the late afternoon is not guaranteed.

I know there are visa companies providing trips to Ban Pakkard. This will cost you a bit more, but might be simpler. Personally, though, I find most such border runs are in uncomfortable vans, and I tend to avoid them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, bernard75 said:

I maintain that Hat Lek is faster.

From Pattaya, Ban Pakkard is way closer, and you will save over an hour (according to Google about 90 minutes) in each direction if travelling by car. That is one of the reasons why there is not a single visa run company using Hat Lek. Even if using public transport, unless you are very unlucky with the connection in Chanthaburi, Ban Pakkard will be quicker. 

55 minutes ago, bernard75 said:

I maintain that Hat Lek is faster.

From central Chan city - 140km to Hat Lek, 76 to Ban Pakkard.

Done the trip often enough over the years, Highway 317 to Pong Nam Ron then east/right to Ban Pakkard.

As mentioned above, it's the location of choice for visa run companies.

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

From central Chan city - 140km to Hat Lek, 76 to Ban Pakkard.

Done the trip often enough over the years, Highway 317 to Pong Nam Ron then east/right to Ban Pakkard.

As mentioned above, it's the location of choice for visa run companies.

And what about Ban Laem checkpoint?

9 hours ago, Hellfire said:

And what about Ban Laem checkpoint?

I haven't been to Ban Laem/Daung since November 2012, it's a little further north from Ban Pakkard. At that time the markets were bigger than Ban Pakkard, and overall a lot busier, can't comment on 2022.

spacer.png

From the archives - Ban Laem/Daung November 2012.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

From Pattaya, Ban Pakkard is way closer, and you will save over an hour (according to Google about 90 minutes) in each direction if travelling by car. That is one of the reasons why there is not a single visa run company using Hat Lek. Even if using public transport, unless you are very unlucky with the connection in Chanthaburi, Ban Pakkard will be quicker. 

Pattaya to Chanthaburi and transfer to Ban Pakkard is OK. 

How is the procedure in using public transport and do all on my own  ( if necessary, staying overnight in a Cambodia hotel is acceptable ) ?   I am not comfortable renting a car and driving 3+ hours each way 

May be you can help us on the pros and cons doing on our own using public transport c/w tuk-tuk on the short trip  ?   I am trying to understand the difference doing on my own and using the one-day Visa Run company package service.   I think the total cost either way will be more like  4/5 K Baht. 

My aim is Visa Exempt for changing O-A to O Visa.    Starting point is Pattaya. 

On 11/18/2022 at 11:48 AM, sscc said:

How is the procedure in using public transport and do all on my own  ( if necessary, staying overnight in a Cambodia hotel is acceptable ) ?   I am not comfortable renting a car and driving 3+ hours each way 

May be you can help us on the pros and cons doing on our own using public transport c/w tuk-tuk on the short trip  ?   I am trying to understand the difference doing on my own and using the one-day Visa Run company package service.   I think the total cost either way will be more like  4/5 K Baht. 

My aim is Visa Exempt for changing O-A to O Visa.    Starting point is Pattaya. 

I will visit the Thai-Cambodian border in a couple of days (my starting point is also Pattaya). Will let you know all the details upon my return.

On 11/18/2022 at 11:48 AM, sscc said:

How is the procedure in using public transport and do all on my own  

May be you can help us on the pros and cons doing on our own using public transport c/w tuk-tuk on the short trip  ? . 

Hi. Just some notes on Chanthaburi. Get your Google maps ready 

The bus terminal is just outside the central city area, near the lake and the main Lotus shopping complex.

Minivans for eg Ban Pakkard are from Chantanamit, across the river down an alley opposite Robinson's. Maybe 10 minutes+ drive depending on traffic.

There are no tuk-tuks in Chanthaburi it's all Mazda pickups with a bench seat and commonly a leaking noisy exhaust that seems to vent its fumes through holes in the floor. They queue at the bus station. 

English speaking is extremely rare for a pickup driver (11 years, it's 'never' in my exp).

Though they should know "Robinson". 

The minivan. I only used it once all those years ago, that was enough.

It was for locals, stopping constantly to drop-off and pick-up and carrying crates of produce for the market. An experience, but certainly not luxury travel.

Hope it goes well for you and look forward to a positive result!

Edited by gomangosteen

10 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Don't you have to say "Lobinson"? I'm in Bangkok and I find that if I pronounce my rrrs I get blank stares. Then when I repeat the word using the vernacular it's all smiles and "150 baht" ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

The bus terminal is just outside the central city area, near the lake and the main Lotus shopping complex.

Minivans for eg Ban Pakkard are from Chantanamit, across the river down an alley opposite Robinson's. Maybe 10 minutes+ drive depending on traffic.

There are no tuk-tuks in Chanthaburi it's all Mazda pickups with a bench seat and commonly a leaking noisy exhaust that seems to vent its fumes through holes in the floor. They queue at the bus station. 

English speaking is extremely rare for a pickup driver (11 years, it's 'never' in my exp).

It was for locals, stopping constantly to drop-off and pick-up and carrying crates of produce for the market. An experience, but certainly not luxury travel.

Any advice on dealing with the Cambodian border police?  I heard they may ask for an additional payment in case you cross the border twice on the same day. And what is the cost of the visa application? Usd 40?

2 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Any advice on dealing with the Cambodian border police?  I heard they may ask for an additional payment in case you cross the border twice on the same day. And what is the cost of the visa application? Usd 40?

Usd 30 + 1 photo.

They will not accept old / grubby / marked bills, or denominations less than $5.

They may try and get 300 thb for same day return.

You could feign ignorance, or try to pay less - tell them you only have a hundred, or indeed, no money atall.

Just to point out I've never paid - but I do speak reasonable Khmer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bernard75 said:

Way better roads.

how long since you have been. google maps is up to date with traffic and roads, and they are showing the difference in km and hours

Edited by steve187

On 11/19/2022 at 1:16 PM, gomangosteen said:

It would be most helpful if you could provide a Google maps link to the place where the vans leave. A few years ago I followed this post:

but just ended up wandering aimlessly around Robinson's asking people who didn't have a clue.

I also posted on that thread an alternative which worked well for me.

• Like 1

AFAIK the minivans are not running since Covid.  Sometimes people post enthusiastically without realizing that the information might be a little bit old.

If you have a helpful Thai friend or receptionist maybe get them to call the numbers below to see if the minivan to the border is running.  If you're new to Thailand or Asia you will have to explain that you're looking for the schedule (to and from the border) and where they depart from (Chantaburi and border).

Ban Phakkat :ช่อง ผักกาด 
 1. 081-9826284, 081-3998025
2. 085-1162335, 086-8237455
3. 084-6488867

Before covid (about 3.5 years ago, when I last did) the minivans departed from behind Robinson, and over a white Bridge (Saphan Chang Hua)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DNYSKmZakpwFkkiPA

Edited by Finlaco
Added link
  • Like 1