Dolly Parton receives $100 million Courage and Civility Award from Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez

Scott

image.png

Dolly Parton is the latest recipient of the Bezos Courage and Civility Award.

“Jeff [Bezos] and I are so proud to share that we have a new Bezos Courage and Civility Award winner — a woman who gives with her heart and leads with love and compassion in every aspect of her work,” Bezos’ longtime partner, Lauren Sanchez, posted on Instagram alongside a video of their speech Friday before awarding the grant to the country music legend and longtime philanthropist.

“We can’t wait to see all the good that you’re going to do with this $100 million award, @DollyParton.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/12/entertainment/jeff-bezos-dolly-parton-100-million-dollar-grant/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

20 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Born in a one-room Tennessee cabin with eleven brothers and sisters.

She has been a class act all her life.

That's typical of the USA I grew up in... not the cesspool it has since become.

This is the kind of gratuitious cheap shot that belongs in a cesspool. Certainly not one that Dolly Parton would endorse.

Dolly Parton: 'Of course black lives matter!'

This is not the first time the 74 year old, who is seen as both an LGBT and feminist icon, has supported progressive causes.

She came out in favour of gay marriage in 2014, a year before it was legalised nationwide, spoke against anti-transgender "bathroom bills", and supported the Me Too movement.

But her support for left-leaning issues is usually carefully crafted to be as inoffensive as possible, often urging people to "judge not lest ye be judged".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53783257

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Born in a one-room Tennessee cabin with eleven brothers and sisters.

She has been a class act all her life.

That's typical of the USA I grew up in... not the cesspool it has since become.

Dolly Parton is a national treasure, her  philanthropy is simply astounding.

It’s also an example of long established public philanthropy that is a characteristic of US culture that the whole nation should be proud of and celebrate.

It was the books in a Carnegie Library that opened life’s opportunities for me, Dolly Parton is offering these opportunities to countless children.

She’s not complaining about the problems in the US, she’s doing something about them.

• Like 2