Two day trip to udon thani

essex boys

9 minutes ago, puchooay said:

There were 7 departures and 8 arrivals at Khon Kaen today, alone.

That's 7 more than my home airport Sakon Nakhon.  Not all of us are so lucky to live near such a major air transport hub!

Actually going to Khon kaen Saturday for a night.  Great City! 

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

That's 7 more than my home airport Sakon Nakhon.  Not all of us are so lucky to live near such a major air transport hub!

Actually going to Khon kaen Saturday for a night.  Great City! 

4 departures and 4 arrivals daily at Sakon Nakhon Airport.

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Udon Thani years ago for around 6 months,that’s all I could stand it really is a backwater like all of Isaan just dust and rice?

I remember the Old Clock did a very nice English style curry by that I mean spicy,they also had Caffrey’s and Guinness on drought as I remember?

Of course there’s the usual sad sack cases people that only visit Udon Thani for one thing,these idiot whoremongers don’t even go anywhere else in Thailand just Udon and that’s it!

The Central Udon Thani Mall has some good shops and the usual Tops market,they also have a Black Canyon Coffee one of my favourite Thai chains with great Thai food at great prices I particularly like their Tom Yam Khung.

Really though unless you are travelling up to Nong Khai to cross the Friendship Bridge into Vientiane there’s no real reason to be there?

I used to be up there lots when good old Thaksin was giving away free visas double entry so 60+60 and an extendable 30+30 for 180 days,great nights in Bor Panyang Bar in Vientiane which actually has an entry in the Lonely Planet guide as the sleepiest capital city on the Planet Earth! ????
It was owned by an American that passed away a good few years ago,that was back in the day when the mighty Mekong River actually filled completely the cutout part of it running through Vientiane.

Now half of it is a massive sandbank with plants and greenery growing in it,since the Chinese started damming the Mekong further upstream to harness hydroelectric power in Laos also with the Chinese paying the construction bills!

Great memories of those days and trips and that particular part of Isaan,probably one of my favourite things even to this day is the Easyrider-style tuk tuks that they have up that way and of course the friendliness and genuineness of the good Isaan folk up there.

They remind me of the Khmers who I also find much more friendly than the average Thai person in the big city of Bangkok,although that’s not a great yardstick as Bangkok is like a country of its own but a truly soulless place generally.

Thailand is like the UK if you want to find the real and friendliest people get out of the awful capital city Bangkok/London and go North my friend!

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It has more daily Thai Smile flights than Udon Thani and the timing for their Air Asia non-stops t0 Phuket is better than Udon Thani's.

Good to know.

Also it's a cool little city in itself.

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, Fun Bar - Home of the Untouchables.

I'm married so virtually everything is untouchable.

Out of curiosity, why untouchable, they seemed like eager beavers with the men they were with when I passed by.  Just glanced though. 

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Probably, but why would you even go to Khon Kaen and Buriram?

Lots of people do, judging by the number of flights.

I go to Buriram as it's my home town.

Others go there for the Khmer ruins, Football, motor racing and Moto GP.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 6:03 PM, MrJ2U said:

Good to know.

Also it's a cool little city in itself.

I found about about the alternative to UTH when all Thai Smile flights to BKK came up booked solid after the mid-October national holiday. There was still good availability out of KKC and it's not a long drive. There are alternative airlines of course but I prefer Thai Smile.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Pies? Tell me more.

Buriram pies are very nice  - if you like a deep filled pie  (stick to Tinnies if you prefer flakey pastry).

I particularly like the steak and kidney suet puddings 

http://www.burirampieman.com/headingpic3.jpg                http://burirampieman.com/steakpud.jpg

21 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Buriram pies are very nice  - if you like a deep filled pie  (stick to Tinnies if you prefer flakey pastry).

I particularly like the steak and kidney suet puddings 

http://www.burirampieman.com/headingpic3.jpg                http://burirampieman.com/steakpud.jpg

Excellent, thanks. Not a fan of what Australians call a pie. These look like the real thing with cold water pastry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Excellent, thanks. Not a fan of what Australians call a pie. These look like the real thing with cold water pastry.

A Google search will get you to their full product range.

I remember buying suet puddings in Pattaya (from a chef) who said that the heat in Thailand made it difficult to cook with pastry. His pies were great but not so the S&K puddings; somehow the Buriram Pieman seems to have got the recipe right.

16 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

A Google search will get you to their full product range.

I remember buying suet puddings in Pattaya (from a chef) who said that the heat in Thailand made it difficult to cook with pastry. His pies were great but not so the S&K puddings; somehow the Buriram Pieman seems to have got the recipe right.

Or maybe even going to their website already posted at http://www.burirampieman.com a bit leftfield I admit?

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I wasn't sure whether that was against forum rules............I guess you have been around longer and would know otherwise.

Great to see the high standards are being maintained since the original owner/ creator of the business sold and moved on.

A great outlet and part of the expat community since 2008.

• Like 1