Border hop to Laos (no visa)

45 minutes ago, agg211 said:

I wonder if I would save time by flying to Vientiane with an eVisa

Looked it up and to no surprise it's a costly excursion.

One way in the morning about 4k to 5k.

Return flight same day might be more than 10k.

Might well be that Kuala Lumpur is cheaper and more choices.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:

I know someone who's used up all their tourist stamps (3 per year). They have a Laos passport and have been told that they won't be able to enter Thailand again. They've always used the same land crossing point in Nakhon Phanom.

I have 2 questions, but I feel I already know the answers,  I'll ask anyway.

1) Would it make any difference if they used a different land crossing point?

2) Would crossing by air make a difference? 

Any advice would be helpful.

There is no written limit for the visa exempt entries Laotians since they are done under a bilateral agreement with Thailand.

That is why they cannot apply for the 30 day extensions.

It seems Nakhon Phanom is making up their own rules. Going to another crossing should solve that problem.

Until March 31st they now get a 45 day entry. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Looked it up and to no surprise it's a costly excursion.

One way in the morning about 4k to 5k.

Return flight same day might be more than 10k.

Might well be that Kuala Lumpur is cheaper and more choices.

As far as you know: no problem for Thai immigration returning the same day?

On 11/17/2022 at 7:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

Since you do not need a Lao visa on arrival  another option is the Chong Mek crossing here in Ubon Ratchathani that is about 90 km from the airport. Plenty of flights per day from Bangkok to Ubon.

There are vans available at the airport or you can go to the bus station.

No bridge to cross. Just walk from Thai immigration to the Lao side of things

UJ, 

I require to do a 'Border Bounce' early in 2023.

Nong Khai, Mukdahan and also Chong Mek ( which I had never considered ) are all 5 hours away from my home, so from what you wrote about Chong Mek sounds an attractive option!

-  What are the parking options\ parking charges at Chong Mek?

-  No Bridge and no Buses also makes it sound like a care free option.

-  Are there any 'extra charges' levied by immigration staff at either side at Chong Mek?

-  Ubon is always a great place to stop off for a night or two...

8 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

What are the parking options\ parking charges at Chong Mek?

-  No Bridge and no Buses also makes it sound like a care free option.

-  Are there any 'extra charges' levied by immigration staff at either side at Chong Mek?

-  Ubon is always a great place to stop off for a night or two...

I have not been there for a long time. But then there was free parking on the road to the crossing. I think there are parking areas before the crossing as well.

No extra charges that I am aware of.

I'm new to the visa run thing, and need to get my visa extended mid December (US citizen). I see a number of you are doing a Laos land crossing and turning around and getting a new visa on entry into Thailand. What does this get you, another 30, 45 or 60 days?

I have been considering flying to Vientiane, go to the Thai Embassy there and get a 60 day visa.  Looking at different websites I've seen recommendations on applying for a Laos visa online, the other option is to just get a visa on entry when I arrive at the airport. Does anyone have any experience / recommendations on either option?

18 minutes ago, mutha289 said:

What does this get you, another 30, 45 or 60 days?

You will get a 45 day visa exempt entry (you cannot apply for a visa on arrival) that can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

18 minutes ago, mutha289 said:

Looking at different websites I've seen recommendations on applying for a Laos visa online, the other option is to just get a visa on entry when I arrive at the airport.

That is your choice. You can get the Lao visa on arrival at the border. The visa issued online costs a little more but it might save time when entering Laos. (See: https://laoevisa.gov.la/index )

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will get a 45 day visa exempt entry (you cannot apply for a visa on arrival) that can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

That is your choice. You can get the Lao visa on arrival at the border. The visa issued online costs a little more but it might save time when entering Laos. (See: https://laoevisa.gov.la/index )

Thanks for the info, the family wants to fly to Vientiane for a few days so looks like I'll update my visa at the Thai embassy there. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, 3NUMBAS said:

illegal crossing points always in use for thais on the midnite express boat 40baht

I once heard of some guy who got sued and wasn't allowed to leave the country, so was stuck here for years. This made me think, what are the escape options if that ever happens? Use the midnight express boat and then what?

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

I once heard of some guy who got sued and wasn't allowed to leave the country, so was stuck here for years. This made me think, what are the escape options if that ever happens? Use the midnight express boat and then what?

You be stuck in Laos with no passport or visa and there illegally and no record of entry 

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

At that point, you will have illegally entered Laos. Leaving Laos without your illegal entry being discovered would be difficult (except, of course, the return to Thailand). If trying to escape from Thailand, trying to sneak on board a container ship destined for your home country might be the best of the illegal options.

(Technically, this post involves discussion of illegal activities, but hopefully my summary of the situation will not be taken too seriously.)

48 minutes ago, BritTim said:

At that point, you will have illegally entered Laos. Leaving Laos without your illegal entry being discovered would be difficult (except, of course, the return to Thailand). If trying to escape from Thailand, trying to sneak on board a container ship destined for your home country might be the best of the illegal options.

(Technically, this post involves discussion of illegal activities, but hopefully my summary of the situation will not be taken too seriously.)

I think a better option may be to claim to have amnesia and to have lost your passport and have no idea how you got to Laos and ask your embassy to help you out in getting back home.

8 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I think a better option may be to claim to have amnesia and to have lost your passport and have no idea how you got to Laos and ask your embassy to help you out in getting back home.

Hmm ... you will presumably need to "remember" your name and nationality. Based on this, it will not take long to determine your "lost" passport information, and find out that you had entered Thailand. I believe the Lao authorities would contact their Thai counterparts, and you would quite quickly end up being transferred from the Lao jail where you are held temporarily to a Thai jail. Your embassy (even if they believe your story which is doubtful) will be able to do little for you except contact your overseas relatives to tell them what is going on.

Since women's prisons in Thailand are marginally less unpleasant then male ones, you could try wearing women's clothing at the time of your arrest, and claiming you now identified as a woman in the hope of avoiding the most horrendous of the Thai jail experiences.

If you are a talented writer, your book about your experiences, including how your schizophrenia was cured by your religious conversion, might gain you economic success, and a global group of supporters agitating for your release. However, this would take a while.

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2022 at 9:02 AM, jaiyenyen said:

I know someone who's used up all their tourist stamps (3 per year). They have a Laos passport and have been told that they won't be able to enter Thailand again. They've always used the same land crossing point in Nakhon Phanom.

I have 2 questions, but I feel I already know the answers,  I'll ask anyway.

1) Would it make any difference if they used a different land crossing point?

2) Would crossing by air make a difference? 

Any advice would be helpful.

The Laos passport doesn't have a limitation on the number of entries via a land border. The limitation is set only for the visa exempt countries, listed here: https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/Svp1QKEi4u/migrate_directory/services-20161228-150522-918313.pdf

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Can anyone confirm if Laos still requires a vaccination certificate or covid tests?

Recent reports are that it is still technically required, but they often no longer check. It would be better to have that covered.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/17/2022 at 11:19 AM, edwardandtubs said:

The danger is that everyone in this thread is describing their pre-covid experiences. I can't see any reports about doing a same-day border hop at this border post-covid.

I did it last month at nongkai,1700 baht for the Laos visa.I sat down on the Laos side for 10 minutes while eating a baguette then straight back in no problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daithi85 said:

I did it last month at nongkai,1700 baht for the Laos visa.I sat down on the Laos side for 10 minutes while eating a baguette then straight back in no problem.

You should always pay in dollars as you pay several hundred baht extra if you pay in baht.

Was it easy to find the baguette vendor? I was thinking of taking a bus all the way in to the city just to get my baguette fix.

10 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You should always pay in dollars as you pay several hundred baht extra if you pay in baht.

Was it easy to find the baguette vendor? I was thinking of taking a bus all the way in to the city just to get my baguette fix.

The baguette is the first thing on my mind as soon as cross into Laos.Yes there is a few little shops on the right hand side as you cross into laos.The very first shop she does the pate,pork,veg baguettes.I did try to pay for the visa with dollars but they said couldn't take the dollars due to little ink marks on them.Your dollars need to be perfect.

• Like 1