Flying Back To Uk With 13 Month Old Baby For The First Time

Hi,

Myself, Thai G/f and our 13 month old baby will be flying back to the UK in a couple of weeks for a holiday. I have a few questions regarding the flying with infants. We will be flying with Emirates, so a stop over in Dubai for a couple of hours too.

1) Any restriction on taking baby milk powder on the plane.

2) Do you have to check in the pram at the same point where you check in your luggage, and if so do they provide an airport pram?

3) Will we have access to any pram in Dubai for the stop over?

4) Any restrictions on taking the baby's powdered milk into the UK?

Any other tips/advice on flying with an infant would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

SP

1. No

2. It should be weighed and tagged with your other luggage and then you should be allowed to take it to the boarding gate where thet will take it from you and stow it in the luggage hold.

3. Not sure. I don't see why not.

4. There wasn't when we came a few weeks ago

I would check these points with the airline, preferably by email so you can print it and take it with you. I have had some unpleasant experiences with the baby stroller with some airlines/airports (such as it being sent to the baggage carousel at gatwick and hong konginstead of giving it back to us at the door on arrival. They brought it back to the aircraft in HK but refused at gatwick).

I would also recommend reserving a seat with a basinet

Emirates are a fabulous airline with children. Would definitely arrange a bassinet for the babster - although at that age he could be getting a bit big. I can't remember how old children are before they get their own (costly) seat. Also, I would advise requesting baby food on board too.

Enjoy your trip, once they are able to move about freely it becomes a nightmare. :o

The only problem you have is with the ignorant ,arrogant <deleted>**ers on the X-Ray machine next to departure lounge.They went through our bags like I was a known Mexican Drug smuggler and made me taste each bottle of milk and each baby milk powder.They then ummed & ahhed for 30 minutes as to whether they'd allow it on the flight !!!

And reserve a basinet seat

At 13 months your little bundle of joy is almost too large to use the Airline Bassinet.

We had a hostess refuse to set up the bassinet because my little one was about that age.

And reserve a basinet seat

At 13 months your little bundle of joy is almost too large to use the Airline Bassinet.

We had a hostess refuse to set up the bassinet because my little one was about that age.

Hi RJJ,

Thanks for that information. What did they offer as a solution to the problem? Also, which airline was that with? My child will be 15 months on the return journey and is already quite large for her age.

Thanks,

SP.

Looks like you are going to be getting sore and sweaty legs as she sits on your lap for the duration. Be prepared too for wearing the seatbelt they give you. It is a smaller version of the adult one that loops through yours and then around her.

Take something for her to suck on take off and landing to help equalise the pressure in her ears.

Happy flying :o

The option of the basinette depends on the weight of the child. If your travel agent is worth their salt, they will get the details for you. My daughter had a basinette at 14 months, and she's not exactly small for her age. You'll have to do the seatbelt thing that Leisurely referred to whether you have the basinette or not. It's compulsory for take off and landing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a trip to Sweden, with TG, and my 7 months old daughter was too big for the bassinet they provided. We used it as storage instead, she was sleeping in our laps.

On the way back home to Bangkok we were lucky and got a whole row of three seats. She slept 8 out of 9 hours.

I think they said that max weight was 8 or 9 kg.

A few tricks. Try to keep your daughter up so she tired I.E no nap before flight(Backside of this she may be grumpy) Feed her a bottle on taxi out for take off and during take off as this helps her ear drums and and pressuization problems. Bring her fav toys so she is comfy. And then feed her a bottle on approach and landing as this helps again with descent and any ear problems. Try to get a whole row to your selves the flight attendents can help with this(Take to the purser In charge they should help) If there is room. Hope that helps.

The option of the basinette depends on the weight of the child. If your travel agent is worth their salt, they will get the details for you. My daughter had a basinette at 14 months, and she's not exactly small for her age. You'll have to do the seatbelt thing that Leisurely referred to whether you have the basinette or not. It's compulsory for take off and landing.

Childern under 2 have to held during takeoff and landing not using the seatbelt. Where did you hear this?

I did trip alone with my son to uk when he was 9 mths and then again at 15mths and again at 18 mths , piece of cake , good advice above where it was posted dont let them sleep , and your child will then have good sleep on the plane .

My only gripe was when landing in uk airport , having to que for a ;ong time with small child at passport control , and no one to help with baggage . Trying to push a pushchair and trolly at same time takes some doing :o .

JB

• 2 weeks later...

Minburi

I suspect that you misread my post. I was simply confirming what Leisurely had said - that you will have to hold your child on your lap, and that you will be connected by way of a child's seatbelt that attaches to the adult's. This is compulsory for take off and landing. I can't say for what age range this applies.

On a seperate note, it appears that different airlines have different maximum weights for the basinettes. Is this because of different types of plane, or is there another reason?