Chao Phraya River Cruise experience !

Social Media

Meh. Seen that one go past a few times and it looks a bit boring. This video just confirmed it. 

There's another one that pumps out the Thai music, or maybe it's Isaan music, I'm not sure. I'd go on that one if they would offer an all-you-can-drink package instead of the food package. I've been told by a Thai bloke that the food kinda sucks.

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Meh. Seen that one go past a few times and it looks a bit boring. This video just confirmed it. 

There's another one that pumps out the Thai music, or maybe it's Isaan music, I'm not sure. I'd go on that one if they would offer an all-you-can-drink package instead of the food package. I've been told by a Thai bloke that the food kinda sucks.

In my experience the food was good. The music wasnt just Thai either there was a mix of allsorts.

Also bare in mind the entertainment is in two areas.

Cant commsnt on the booze as I dont drink. ????

Also worth mentioning there are about 4 different operators running these cruises. 

3 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

Cant commsnt on the booze as I dont drink. ????

Aah that explains why you were happy with the cruise. My buddy and I, his Thai BiL and his mate Pee Jack, like a bit of a tipple which is why we haven't gone on one of these cruises yet. My mate's family (a d Pee Jack) has to be invited because they help out with stuff, so a booze-only package would keep the total cost down ????

8 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

Also worth mentioning there are about 4 different operators running these cruises.

Is that all? From our vantage point at the V. Varee guest house in Banglamphu we saw what seemed like dozens of boats. Too many to keep up with, especially after a few large Heinekens.

Or cheap Charlie's like me can take the normal river ferry and a snack and get the same views for 20 baht????

Some of the river cruise ferries are reasonable but there are some touts out there as well, so be aware of pricing comparisons to ensure that you get the best valued cruise and dinner or drinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I've been told by a Thai bloke that the food kinda sucks.

Of course it depends which company you use - the more expensive ones generally have better food - but even on the cheaper cruises the food isn't terrible. Picture the buffet food at a three-star Thai hotel and that will be about right. 

I'm personally not a fan of the pounding music on most of the boats, but the companies clearly know their customer base - most of the tourists, especially Russians, love it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I took a river cruise about four years ago when I first initially visited Bangkok.  I went with a Thai woman I was dating at the time.

The cruise was very nice and relaxing.  Had some entertainment.  It was a buffet.  The food was average.  Nothing great. 
Different companies offer different options at different price points.  And some over smaller boats , less people,  and table side service instead of buffet. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 4:04 PM, proton said:

If not for the food and the music I would have gone on one of these years ago. Been at the Chatrium riverside and Peninsular hotels and watched them go by, as far as I got.

The very first date I ever had the very first time I was in Thailand, as a night trip on that river, yes, I would recommend it on a romantic date.

• Like 1

I did one of the smaller rice barge Chao Phraya cruises that are slightly more upscale, without the music/dancing.  Nice for a date, 5-6 course meal, but unfortunately by the time you eat its lukewarm.  Drinks are very expensive.  Views are great obviously, I'd take first timers to Thailand or Bangkok for a 'wow' impression but outside of that, don't think I'd go again.  The food, as everyone mentions, isn't that memorable on any of the boats.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been on three of these Cruises.

The second two were with Bangkok 'first-timers'.

We BYO Red Wine so I can't complain about drink prices, food was okay...  we didn't really go on it for a "Michellin Star" food experience...  we went for the ambience on the River at night..  the River breeze (??), all the lights of the passing boats, the lit-up Wats, the 'goings on' at the high-end riverside hotels and the cheering of the passengers as we passed under every bridge.

Of course being seated on the top deck is mandatory.

I'd recommend it at least once!