Bicycle Courier Required for hardcase Bikebox - UK to Chiang Mai

GTProspects

Hi Cycling Forum, new to your group, looking for information, suggestions on a fair priced, quality COURIER SERVICE for my hardcase bike box.  I would like it collected in UK (door to door service) & shipped to me in CM - Thailand.

The hardcase bike box is one of the largest on the market I believe.

Bikebox measures, L: 133cm x H: 94cm x W50cm.

The main problem seems to be the height of the box, as it is over the maximum size the shipping companies allow (Air/sea). 

I am running out of ideas, and the only quote I have recieved is over £2500 from a local company in CM.

I am willing to fly back their myself, if required. But could really do without this at the moment as my time in CM  is important.

If anyone has any recomendations, please let me know.

Warm regards,Screenshot_2022-11-17-14-57-34-510_com.facebook_orca.thumb.jpg.427bd6b7df303ef41b63e11adbd0e2fd.jpg

23 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I saw people at check in in the UK with these boxes on a KLM flight to Schipol, Amsterdam.

I did not speak to them or know where they were going but KLM does flights from the UK to BKK transiting Amsterdam.

thanks for your reply, yes the bicycle can travel with me, no problem as hold luggage on probably any aircraft's. Unfortunately I am now living in Thailand. The bicycle was travelling with me, but on dealing with the airline agent. There was communication problems, they thought it was an electric bicycle. When it's just a gravel bicycle with DI2 Gears. Basically they wouldn't allow me to travel with my bike, without me taking out the DI2 battery, this was impossible because it is situated inside the carbon frame (totally not accessible at the airport) Hope this explains things.

4 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

What's the maximum width?  Maybe they could ship it on its side?

Thanks for your reply, size of bikebox: L: 133cm x H: 94cm x W50cm. Courier service has very tight maximum sizing, it appears it is to long in length and to High in height for their services.

4 minutes ago, GTProspects said:

Thanks for your reply, size of bikebox: L: 133cm x H: 94cm x W50cm. Courier service has very tight maximum sizing, it appears it is to long in length and to High in height for their services.

What is the maximum width the courier allows?

Sorry , I did not read your post carefully. If it is also too long, then unless the maximum width allowed is greater than the maximum length that they allow, then you may have to try a freight forwarder.

Edited by StreetCowboy

19 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

What is the maximum width the courier allows?

Sorry , I did not read your post carefully. If it is also too long, then unless the maximum width allowed is greater than the maximum length that they allow, then you may have to try a freigh (Triat forwarder.

I can't quite remember, but I thing the maximum length for courier services is 96cm and about half of the hight of my box. My box is called Bikebox Alan (Triathalon) basically the standard size evoc bags etc are fine.

If I were in this situation I would contact the Bike Box manufacturer and ask for advice.  I was in the same situation but with regard to an unusual shaped protective case for motion picture gear I was renting and needed shipped internationally.

Surprisingly to me, they had the information for my specific case right at their fingertips.  It was not actually so surprising once the rep told me they got requests like mine all the time and simply kept the information on their servers so that they could easily reference it for future customer requests.

It's worth a shot at least.  I mean, if a manufacturer makes a protective case that is larger than many airlines will accept, they are definitely going to be asked that question by many customers, and are going to have to provide a solution if they are going to successfully sell the case ????

Edited by WaveHunter

If its going to cost too much to bring it over, is it not possible to purchase one locally ?

Perhaps worth contacting this guy....

i.e. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1239783270116096/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A9231b218-761e-4c49-9163-6cd7b3ed96a9

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

If I were in this situation I would contact the Bike Box manufacturer and ask for advice.  I was in the same situation but with regard to an unusual shaped protective case for motion picture gear I was renting and needed shipped internationally.

Surprisingly to me, they had the information for my specific case right at their fingertips.  It was not actually so surprising once the rep told me they got requests like mine all the time and simply kept the information on their servers so that they could easily reference it for future customer requests.

It's worth a shot at least.  I mean, if a manufacturer makes a protective case that is larger than many airlines will accept, they are definitely going to be asked that question by many customers, and are going to have to provide a solution if they are going to successfully sell the case ????

Oh, and just to be clear, I was not purchasing the case itself from the case manufacturer as a retail purchase.  The rental house for the camera gear was using it to ship rental gear to me so I wasn't concerned about Customs, only in finding a courier service could deal with the unusual size and value of contents.  

Edited by WaveHunter

• 1 month later...