Funeral/Cremation costs in Isaan.

Jumbo1968

On 11/18/2022 at 4:31 PM, lopburi3 said:

But those hundreds who came will have provided envelopes with donations (most cash in 500-1,500 baht range) so some/much (sometimes all) of the cost is offset).  In our experience a close family member will take responsibility (pay) and receive the donations.  

She says they got about 120k in the envelopes, it was in a small Issan village, most of the people farm rice etc, so not a lot of money around.

On 11/17/2022 at 7:46 PM, Bobtheblob said:

Ya depends if the family wants to "show off" invite the whole village for 3 or 4 days and provide food and drink 2 or 3 times a day can run over 100k easily.

Don't forget you have to pay for the monks to attend and do their blessings 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 7:43 PM, MichaelHunt said:

I see. Ha. Well, that wasn't included in my mother's cremation.

In my village, many people come for the ceremonies, usually about 1-200 hundred... and the costs depends upon how many days the funeral runs... quite often up to 100,000 baht... 

maybe he should send his mother in law to your family in USA to have her cremated? Sounds like cost is the priority.

I know the question was about Thailand but one of the replies stating 40,000 baht for a cremation in the US sounds amazingly low, just over a thousand  US dollars.

My last quote in Australia for a no fuss disposal of the body with no service, no fancy coffin and disposal of ashes in their gardens was A$3500 or about 85,000 baht, probably be more like 100,000 today as this was seven years ago.

The reason given was the paperwork with every signature and piece of paper having a cost that in some instances made Lawyers look like upstanding citizens, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In our area the cremation at the temple + monks costs around 15000. They will spend another 80-100k for the 2-3 days of drinks and food at the house. Most of it should be covered by the 2-300 bahts given by friends and other visitors+ the 50 baht village insurance thingy. Also most of them at the villages have life insurance policy. All in all they usually end up in profit especially if a farang pays the already paid bills.

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, PJPom said:

I know the question was about Thailand but one of the replies stating 40,000 baht for a cremation in the US sounds amazingly low, just over a thousand  US dollars.

My last quote in Australia for a no fuss disposal of the body with no service, no fancy coffin and disposal of ashes in their gardens was A$3500 or about 85,000 baht, probably be more like 100,000 today as this was seven years ago.

The reason given was the paperwork with every signature and piece of paper having a cost that in some instances made Lawyers look like upstanding citizens, 

The unside down tax again.  ????

image.png.2713bf827ee1d2b177d721df932a597d.pnghttps://www.thelivingurn.com/blogs/news/how-much-does-it-cost-to-cremate

4 minutes ago, Bigz said:

In our area the cremation at the temple + monks costs around 15000. They will spend another 80-100k for the 2-3 days of drinks and food at the house. Most of it should be covered by the 2-300 bahts given by friends and other visitors+ the 50 baht village insurance thingy. Also most of them at the villages have life insurance policy. All in all they usually end up in profit especially if a farang pays the already paid bills.

This is one farang who won’t be paying, only met my MIL twice, she asked me to buy her gold, the family all have decent incomes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My mother in law passed this year. Total cost a little under 100,000 baht. 5 days total. Donations and the village fund covered all the expenses.  There was also a fund they paid 200 baht each time someone died. In all over 360,000 baht. The family is not rich by no means. I agree if you donate 30,000 baht you will probably have donated the most of everyone.  Just make it clear to your wife your not supporting a crazy expensive funeral . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 4:31 PM, lopburi3 said:

But those hundreds who came will have provided envelopes with donations (most cash in 500-1,500 baht range) so some/much (sometimes all) of the cost is offset).

My FIL died Tuesday and I was talking to the guy who writes all the donations in a big book, and he gave me the book to look through and most of the donations were 20 - 100 THB with only a couple of exceptions and none were higher then 1000 THB.

So it's most of it up to the Family. And someone told about an insurance and I asked my wife and it's in our old village (where the FIL lived) 100 THB per Household max and as the Village only has 90 houses so that is a max of 9000 THB.

Edit: No beer at the Funeral only Lao Khao but not in abundance. And the Cremation is next week because the family is waiting for relatives who are living abroad. (The longer it lasts the more expensive it gets)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

My FIL died Tuesday and I was talking to the guy who writes all the donations in a big book, and he gave me the book to look through and most of the donations were 20 - 100 THB with only a couple of exceptions and none were higher then 1000 THB.

So it's most of it up to the Family. And someone told about an insurance and I asked my wife and it's in our old village (where the FIL lived) 100 THB per Household max and as the Village only has 90 houses so that is a max of 9000 THB.

Edit: No beer at the Funeral only Lao Khao but not in abundance. And the Cremation is next week because the family is waiting for relatives who are living abroad.

ThaiLife.com (Insurance) seems popular around my area. We have a local lady agent with whom my Mrs took out Life Insurance for my mother-in-law and also myself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

ThaiLife.com (Insurance) seems popular around my area. We have a local lady agent with whom my Mrs took out Life Insurance for my mother-in-law and also myself. 

FIL has some kind of insurance (I have to ask my wife the details) but the BIL was paying the premium for that.

But I guess it's only something like 20-30.000 THB in total which absolutely doesn't compare to the cost he and the rest of the family had to make because the FIL was already bedridden for well over 7-8 months.

Another thing, also this year my wife's OLDER sister died, and for example the Electricity Bill the BIL got after that was well over 6500 THB, I wonder what it will be now (we will know on the 18th as then the meter reader comes)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, patongphil said:

Helpful comment!!

Only saying, I didn’t ask because it’s a Thai thing, my girl keeps a lot of things to herself, if she doesn’t tell me I don’t ask, btw I posted the original topic.

I am not sure where all the funds come from  for the funeral, my girl was given 5000 baht which she intends to buy some gold which I will contribute towards in memory of her Mother.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, MJCM said:

and he gave me the book to look through and most of the donations were 20 - 100 THB with only a couple of exceptions and none were higher then 1000 THB.

Indeed upcountry the normal donation will be much less - but in most cases the total cost will also be much less.  Having to extend beyond 3 days will greatly increase the cost however (but as said they try to extend for family members not close).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MJCM said:

FIL has some kind of insurance (I have to ask my wife the details) but the BIL was paying the premium for that.

But I guess it's only something like 20-30.000 THB in total which absolutely doesn't compare to the cost he and the rest of the family had to make because the FIL was already bedridden for well over 7-8 months.

Another thing, also this year my wife's OLDER sister died, and for example the Electricity Bill the BIL got after that was well over 6500 THB, I wonder what it will be now (we will know on the 18th as then the meter reader comes)

MIL died in August and there was a photograph of the insurance company with a giant cheque for 100,000 baht. Mine pays out 300,000 in the event of my death. People here can't find that sort of money when it's needed. It's easy for us to say they should save up and be disciplined. I sympathise on the electricity bill. We had two funerals on the trot (BIL in July and MIL in August).    

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed upcountry the normal donation will be much less - but in most cases the total cost will also be much less.  Having to extend beyond 3 days will greatly increase the cost however (but as said they try to extend for family members not close).

Yep FIL died on Tuesday and cremation is I believe on Sunday or Monday (and that is only because Family members coming from abroad).

You also have a lot of "freeloaders" coming to the Funeral, they guy with the book told me that there was one guy who wouldn't give to the donation unless he got a couple of shots of Lao Khao and food. He got it and you want to know what he gave in the end??? 20 THB ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

MIL died in August and there was a photograph of the insurance company with a giant cheque for 100,000 baht.

SIL daughter got also a Cheque (something like 80k or so) but not at the Funeral but afterwards and you don't wanna know how much trouble she had to go through before she got it eventually.

Even the FIL had to sign (thumb print) a document that the insurance prepared.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MJCM said:

SIL daughter got also a Cheque (something like 80k or so) but not at the Funeral but afterwards and you don't wanna know how much trouble she had to go through before she got it eventually.

Even the FIL had to sign (thumb print) a document that the insurance prepared.

I can believe that! My Mrs has a friend whose falang husband recently died having destroyed his stomach and liver with alcohol. His widow had to find the cost of his funeral (150,000 baht) because he had literally drunk every penny of his savings and was living (or rather drinking) from day to day on his pension(s). That's why my Mrs has taken out Life Insurance (20 year term) for me.

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

That's why my Mrs has taken out Life Insurance (20 year term) for me.

Our abroad health insurance also pays out when either of us dies. Something like 25.000 EURO, but the premium for the Health insurance (NO LIMITS only 1000 EURO excess) is 180.000 THB per year.

Maybe a good idea to look at another local one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Our abroad health insurance also pays out when either of us dies. Something like 25.000 EURO, but the premium for the Health insurance (NO LIMITS only 1000 EURO excess) is 180.000 THB per year.

Maybe a good idea to look at another local one.

Health plans are unavailable for me. Mrs has already taken out this Life Insurance. Premium 32,000 baht per annum. No payout in first two years. If I survive the 20 year term all premiums refunded in full. Pays out 300,000 upon death. Worked out if I die in less than two years = Total loss. If die within 2 to 9 years = Make a profit. If die between 10 and 19 years = Make a loss. If I live over 20 years I have given the insurance company an interest free loan!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MJCM said:

Never ever was the electric bill 6500k