AIS mobile sim internet is so bad

parafareno

19 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i dont know maybe it is router? I use tplink m7000   if i put it on balcony the speed is more stable....

i dont know what is going on ....how can be signal bad in pattaya, it has so many 4g antennas

WiFi and phone signals don't like concrete. My tplink's on the top floor, outside, but under cover. It's wired up to 2 access points. What do you use in your phone? Are the speeds the same?

BTW AIS have a shop in central mall, 3rd floor. I've never found them very helpful at all, but the AIS call centre is. They'll run checks on the number and the surrounding towers if you give them your location. Might be a hardware fault in their equipment. Call 1175 free.

Edited by bradiston

26 minutes ago, bradiston said:

WiFi and phone signals don't like concrete. My tplink's on the top floor, outside, but under cover. It's wired up to 2 access points. What do you use in your phone? Are the speeds the same?

BTW AIS have a shop in central mall, 3rd floor. I've never found them very helpful at all, but the AIS call centre is. They'll run checks on the number and the surrounding towers if you give them your location. Might be a hardware fault in their equipment. Call 1175 free.

i called them and they say they investigate the problem...it can take 3 weeks 555...up to you if you wait so long 

I have the same SIM and could confirm that AIS sucks, but at least it is better than Truemove. I have made a few topics about it:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1263948-isp-technical-support-contacts-needed/?do=findComment&comment=17708331

https://aseannow.com/topic/1236854-ais-vs-dtac-vs-truemove-true-h-technical-info-for-it-nerdsnolifers/

(please note that AIS should have a "Shít tier" - I was not able to edit the opening post to change its "Low tier" to the real value)

However I'm getting 2x higher speeds than advertised - about 30 mbps, so for casual browsing/youtubing AIS is OK.

But when it comes to connections to Europe it is a huge PITA, I often get 100% packet loss while my phone with DTAC SIM has zero problems at the same time.

Edited by fdsa

Bit late on the thread and maybe mentioned more than once.

Location and signal strenght is the decisive factor.

As you use a mobile phone you are dependent of the quality of the phone in terms of signal reception. Particularly upload speed can go down dramatically (which makes video call etc. a PITA).

Likely all phones have a feature hidden somewhere in phone, SIM, status.. to show signal strenght. values from -90 dBm down are bad. At about -115 dBm connection fails completely at my phone.

Cell signal strength ranges from -50 dBm to -120 dBm for all cellular devices. Typically:

• -50 to -79 dBm = great signal (4 to 5 bars).
  • -80 to -89 dBm = good signal (3 to 4 bars).
  • -90 to -99 dBm = average signal (2 to 3 bars).
  • -100 to -109 dBm = poor signal (1 to 2 bars).
  • -110 to -120 dBm = very poor signal or a dead zone (0 to 1 bar).

If you can't find the feature on the phone install an app like:

"Network Cell Info Lite" (for Android, don't know about iOs)

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 11/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, parafareno said:

it is false advertising...they guaranteed me 20 mbs no problem...same same all pattaya

You have something that specifically guarantees 20mbs at all times regardless of conditions?   Could you post it here, love to see it!   I think that it's your assertion that's be false.

A typical cell info display (nicely pixelated).

DTAC is SIM2, bad signal but still good enough for 15 Mbit/s download.

AIS is SIM1 for phone, SMS etc.

Would be surprised if the signal(s) in Jomtien not be better.

cellinfo.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 11/17/2022 at 11:58 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Have AIS fibre just under 1400 a month, is good for 5 mobiles, 3 computers and a smart TV

My 3BB 1Gb/s optic directly to my router is Bht 749 per month. Have never yet 'overloaded' the WiFi it gives out.

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

I have the same SIM and could confirm that AIS sucks, but at least it is better than Truemove. I have made a few topics about it:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1263948-isp-technical-support-contacts-needed/?do=findComment&comment=17708331

https://aseannow.com/topic/1236854-ais-vs-dtac-vs-truemove-true-h-technical-info-for-it-nerdsnolifers/

(please note that AIS should have a "Shít tier" - I was not able to edit the opening post to change its "Low tier" to the real value)

However I'm getting 2x higher speeds than advertised - about 30 mbps, so for casual browsing/youtubing AIS is OK.

But when it comes to connections to Europe it is a huge PITA, I often get 100% packet loss while my phone with DTAC SIM has zero problems at the same time.

ER, this is a bit confusing. You say you have 30 Mbps for "casual browsing/YouTube". That far exceeds what's actually needed, surely? A lot depends on the servers you're getting routed through. And as for "connections to Europe", do you mean phone calls, or European IP addresses/websites? You mention 100% packet loss, which would indicate a serious routing problem or a dead server somewhere. A connection to Europe will more than likely be routed half way round the world. Try running tracroute/tracert or ping using the site you're trying to connect to. Maybe a bad DNS server. I haven't experienced that degree of packet loss since the days of 2400 bps dial up modems!

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

"Network Cell Info Lite" (for Android, don't know about iOs)

Before installing some random apps you should try the embedded diagnostics features first, for example - open Call menu and dial *#*#4636#*#*

Some phones will run a hidden "phone info" system app where you could see network info and even choose some "Preferred Network Type" option not available int the usual Settings - Network menu.

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

ER, this is a bit confusing. You say you have 30 Mbps for "casual browsing/YouTube". That far exceeds what's actually needed, surely? A lot depends on the servers you're getting routed through. And as for "connections to Europe", do you mean phone calls, or European IP addresses/websites? You mention 100% packet loss, which would indicate a serious routing problem or a dead server somewhere. A connection to Europe will more than likely be routed half way round the world. Try running tracroute/tracert or ping using the site you're trying to connect to. Maybe a bad DNS server. I haven't experienced that degree of packet loss since the days of 2400 bps dial up modems!

I've described everything in my topic https://aseannow.com/topic/1263948-isp-technical-support-contacts-needed/?do=findComment&comment=17708331

AIS loses up to 100% packets between Bangkok and Singapore, when connecting from Thailand to Europe (in particular - Netherlands and France).

DTAC at the very same time has zero packet loss.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Chivas said:

5 down is more than quick enough to Live stream let alone 12

I'd hazard a guess that 95% of readers would be happy with a (constant) 5 down

I certainly would

Only if it's constant 5 down without losing packets. A few days ago I had the same 90% packets loss between Thailand and Netherlands.

And that's only with AIS, DTAC has zero problems.

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

Only if it's constant 5 down without losing packets. A few days ago I had the same 90% packets loss between Thailand and Netherlands.

And that's only with AIS, DTAC has zero problems.

What does tracert say? How far does it get before it conks? Where does it stop?

Are you using a VPN? Try, if not. It will at least reroute.

30 minutes ago, fdsa said:

But if all AIS traffic is routed through that server, all would suffer the same fate. The information in that link was posted on September 20th. 10 weeks ago! Is this an intermittent fault, or continuous? Does AIS send all its data over the same route, every time?

On 12/1/2022 at 5:59 PM, bradiston said:

But if all AIS traffic is routed through that server, all would suffer the same fate. The information in that link was posted on September 20th. 10 weeks ago! Is this an intermittent fault, or continuous? Does AIS send all its data over the same route, every time?

Most people do not need to connect to servers in Europe ????‍♂️ so noone else notices that.

The problem is random, usually occurs at the evening (which is pretty "normal" because networks are overloaded) but right now I expericence the same 90% packet loss (possibly networks are overloaded now because of weekend?)

Yes, AIS sends traffic to Europe through Singapore, Hurricane Electric, and usually the very same IP address - 184.104.210.173

Server in France:

ais.png.bb80c7f0347ed5a29634d1177cc19fbd.png

Server in Netherlands:

ais2.png.7f25033a6b381390215dca399d1915f5.png

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

Most people do not need to connect to servers in Europe ????‍♂️ so noone else notices that.

The problem is random, usually occurs at the evening (which is pretty "normal" because networks are overloaded) but right now I expericence the same 90% packet loss (possibly networks are overloaded now because of weekend?)

Yes, AIS sends traffic to Europe through Singapore, Hurricane Electric, and usually the very same IP address - 184.104.210.173

Server in France:

Server in Netherlands:

Looks like the problem is with Hurrican Electric. All the problem addresses resolve back to them. For example:

https://ipinfo.io/184.105.81.29

and

https://ipinfo.io/AS6939

Edited by bradiston

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Looks like the problem is with Hurrican Electric.

I'd say with AIS because they chose the faulty partner ISP.

DTAC for example routes this traffic through Telenor in Singapore, and I've never had any similar problems with DTAC.

Edited by fdsa

36 minutes ago, fdsa said:

DTAC for example routes this traffic through Telenor in Singapore, and I've never had any similar problems with DTAC.

I meant the technical problems, not the choice of partner. The ISP is not faulty. Their servers are. You should email them with your screen shots.

30 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I meant the technical problems, not the choice of partner. The ISP is not faulty. Their servers are. You should email them with your screen shots.

I've sent messages to FOUR different emails including abuse@ but haven't got any reply. While this problem definitely bothers me it's not severe enough to make me register in Twitter or Facebook to contact AIS there.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, parafareno said:

but dont you get it? it is false advertising...they guaranteed me 20 mbs no problem...same same all pattaya

555 you must be new in Thailand, here they will guaranty you anything as long as it benefits them, you are lucky they didn't guaranty you a trip to the moon

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

I had AIS 30 Mbps and DTAC 30 Mbps unlimited. AIS had higher upload and higher peak speeds. But when it came to 4K YouTube videos DTAC was the clear winner at least here at my location in Central Pattaya. The performance of DTAC did not have this high peaks that AIS showed. But it had a much better sustained bit rate.

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

I've sent messages to FOUR different emails including abuse@ but haven't got any reply. While this problem definitely bothers me it's not severe enough to make me register in Twitter or Facebook to contact AIS there.

Forget AIS. It's the other ISP you should contact. It's their servers causing the problems. IMHO.

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

I had AIS 30 Mbps and DTAC 30 Mbps unlimited. AIS had higher upload and higher peak speeds. But when it came to 4K YouTube videos DTAC was the clear winner at least here at my location in Central Pattaya. The performance of DTAC did not have this high peaks that AIS showed. But it had a much better sustained bit rate.

I have an 1800 THB pa 15Mbps AIS unlimited data package. From the ground floor of my condo in Pratamnak I'm able to watch 8k HDR YouTube videos on my 7000 THB Chinese phone. They run smooth, full audio. What's with the technofetish?

5 hours ago, fdsa said:

Server in France:

Server in Netherlands:

"Most people do not need to connect to servers in Europe ????‍♂️ so noone else notice that."

It's not as if everyday internet users selects their routing. You hit return to send/browse/search whatever, and your ISP will route your request via whatever servers the algorithm in their routing software selects. This might include servers in Europe for a connection in the US or China, for instance. If it's the optimal route, that's the way it will go.

39 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I have an 1800 THB pa 15Mbps AIS unlimited data package. From the ground floor of my condo in Pratamnak I'm able to watch 8k HDR YouTube videos on my 7000 THB Chinese phone. They run smooth, full audio. What's with the technofetish?

Please send me a screenshot of the "stats for nerds" that you can switch on at YouTube. 

For the better understanding. If a video has a max resolution of 8K this does not mean that you get this resolution. So I want to know the resolution that you really get. 

Edited by Mickeymaus