AIS mobile sim internet is so bad

parafareno

I biought the fastest unlimited package.....20 mbs for 1500 bht and bought also sim modem tplink

they said no problem 20 mbs or more unlimited....

I never got 20 mbs at all...maximum was 12....now after few days i get 5 mbs....such a disaster.....

do they scam people?

i am here in jomtien pattaya

Edited by parafareno

As above poster stated, it totally depends on your location and signal strength. I currently am getting 29Mbps down and 12 up.  When I go to the mall near me I can get much faster than that.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

As above poster stated, it totally depends on your location and signal strength. I currently am getting 28Mb down and 11 up.  When I go to Central Festival mall here in Pattaya I can get much faster than that.

is it modem? I use tplink small thingy where you insert sim card

1 minute ago, parafareno said:

is it modem? I use tplink small thingy where you insert sim card

No, it's on my phone.  I can just use that as a hot spot or tethered.  I don't need a modem.

Edited by shdmn

4 minutes ago, shdmn said:

No, it's on my phone.  I can just use that as a hot spot or tethered.  I don't need a modem.

so when you tether, how you set up password so no other person can log in to your internet? i will try with my mobile tether and see if the speed will improve, if yes I will ditch that modem

11 minutes ago, parafareno said:

so when you tether, how you set up password so no other person can log in to your internet? i will try with my mobile tether and see if the speed will improve, if yes I will ditch that modem

There is no password required for tethering because only the device phsically plugged into the phone has access. 

The hotspot feature obviously does have a password.  You use that if you want to connect more than one device or don't want to have the phone physically plugged into your laptop.  Also comes in handy if the signal is weak.  You can put the phone near areas of your room that may have better signal strength, like near windows or doors.

Edited by shdmn

3 minutes ago, shdmn said:

There is no password required for tethering because only the device phsically plugged into the phone has access.  The hotspot feature obviously does have a password.

so how you setup password? i have option mobile hotspot but it does not give me any password

Edited by parafareno

4 minutes ago, parafareno said:

so how you setup password? i have option mobile hotspot but it does not give me any password

It should be pretty straight forward.  Google it if you can't figure it out.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thumbs Up 1

Data Rates at mobile phone always depends on location and the total network usage. If you get 5 MBps its really ok for most mobile phone applications. Also really enough for high-res-Video at mobile phone. come down ..if you need fast internet use cable or fixed internet ..but not mobile phone. christmas and new year you will experience a real diseaster at the network speed of mobile phone

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

I biought the fastest unlimited package.....20 mbs for 1500 bht and bought also sim modem tplink

they said no problem 20 mbs or more unlimited....

I never got 20 mbs at all...maximum was 12....now after few days i get 5 mbs....such a disaster.....

do they scam people?

The advertised speed is always a best effort and maximum possible.

It is always dependent on location and the number of concurrent users, speed usually drops in the evenings after the school kids get online. 

You are not likely to ever see the maximum 20 mbs unless you are very lucky and your equipment can actually support the speed.

You may well need to restart the phone if the speed has dropped significantly and it in the morning.

Is it a scam? No. You needed to do your investigation before buying the package.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Luckyman999 said:

Data Rates at mobile phone always depends on location and the total network usage. If you get 5 MBps its really ok for most mobile phone applications. Also really enough for high-res-Video at mobile phone. come down ..if you need fast internet use cable or fixed internet ..but not mobile phone. christmas and new year you will experience a real diseaster at the network speed of mobile phone

but dont you get it? it is false advertising...they guaranteed me 20 mbs no problem...same same all pattaya

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

There is no password required for tethering because only the device phsically plugged into the phone has access. 

The hotspot feature obviously does have a password.  You use that if you want to connect more than one device or don't want to have the phone physically plugged into your laptop.  Also comes in handy if the signal is weak.  You can put the phone near areas of your room that may have better signal strength, like near windows or doors.

A hotspot does have a password

• Thumbs Up 1

The speed what they sell is always up to (not you ????). I bought a SIM card router recently. I tested AIS, True and DTAC at my location. I used one day packages for True and monthly packages for AIS and DTAC. This you should have done before you buy a package for a year... Try to find the best router position in your condo. What signal strength to you get? Which router is it? Which package did you buy? 

At the moment I test AIS and DTAC - the same monthly 30 Mbps unlimited packages at the same time at different locations. I am in Central Pattaya and the other person is also in Pattaya but at a location that is not so densely populated. My test partner isn't here for a couple of days. But I hope that I can post my results in the next two weeks. You will find them here at this link. 

7 hours ago, parafareno said:

but dont you get it? it is false advertising...they guaranteed me 20 mbs no problem...same same all pattaya

Did they actually guarantee 20 mbs?
If they did you will find it in writing.

if it is not in writing then it was not a guarantee.

what was said classes as puffery, not a guarantee.

Puffery refers to an exaggeration or statement that no reasonable person would take as factual. It often occurs in the context of advertsing and promotional testimonials. Puffery may be used as a defense to a warranty or fraud claim, to assert that the plaintiff shouldn't hsve relied on the stements in issue. Puffing generally is defined as “exaggerated, vague, or loosely optimistic statements about a company that are deemed so immaterial and unworthy of reliance that they cannot serve as the basis for liability.

Thailand follows the USA contract law not the U.K. one so words can not be relied on and not part of the contract it must be in writing and usually the Thai script is definitive English script is not binding and is just a, sometimes helpful, guide.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Have AIS fibre just under 1400 a month, is good for 5 mobiles, 3 computers and a smart TV

That seems very expensive, our TOT fibre is about ⅓ the cost

the packages range from 400/400 @ 390 Baht to 1,000/1,000 @  900 Baht.

Our location in the deep northeast only gets 300/300 @ 340 Baht however it is more than enough for a similar number of connections.

Do you run a VPN on your phone?  I find that’s the only thing that reduces my speed.  I’m also with AIS mobile.  Otherwise, it’s always faster than advertised. That has always surprised me, because in Canada, they use the excuse that there’s a difference between theoretical and obtainable. Of course they charge you the theoretical price - which in any world is never obtainable.

9 hours ago, shdmn said:
9 hours ago, parafareno said:

It should be pretty straight forward.  Google it if you can't figure it out.

Edited 9 hours ago by shdmn

YOUTUBE has videos on how to. It is pretty simple to do. I have not often gotten the 6 Mbps that I'd expected from AIS ; using smartphone mobile hotspot. Often the speed slows so that Netflix/Youtube start to buffer or halt/stop, usually between 6PM & 9PM. Using a VPN makes it even slower, yet most often fast enough to show Netflix/Youtube. 

I use an AIS SIM both in my phone and in a Tp Link router. Same packages, unlimited at 15Mbps for a year, about 1800 THB. In Pratamnak my phone runs at between 30 and 40 Mbps. The problem with the router is, if there's a power out, the SIM has problems reconnecting. Also, the 2 locations could hardly be more different. Router on a very small island 35k offshore, phone in Pratamnak.

BTW, the router offers WiFi, or wired network, so why all this talk of a hotspot? Oh, you mean when on the move with your phone as a hotspot? Unless your WiFi is encrypted, tethering isn't secure I don't think. Could be wrong on that.

At home, I connect an rj45 cable between my laptop and router. Works well.

Edited by bradiston

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Depends on your location

Definitely.

Here in Sakon Nakhon I've got the same setup, only with TRUE.  Works great.  However if we go to the village next door everything slows to 3G or around 4 GBS.  

My wife says Trues coverage in the Northeast is better than AIS. 

53 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Also, the 2 locations could hardly be more different. Router on a very small island 35k offshore, phone in Pratamnak.

He says he is now in Jomtien.  

11 hours ago, parafareno said:

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That seems very expensive, our TOT fibre is about ⅓ the cost

the packages range from 400/400 @ 390 Baht to 1,000/1,000 @  900 Baht.

Our location in the deep northeast only gets 300/300 @ 340 Baht however it is more than enough for a similar number of connections.

It includes a movie package and first couple of months it was cheaper. TOT has a promotion period too. 

Edited by FritsSikkink