New UK passport - no transfer letter

I'm posting this for someone else. He's fairly sure he's screwed up, but I said I would ask if there is an obvious fix. Brit working in Thailand with a Smart T visa + extension. His UK passport needed to be renewed, and there are still long waits for overseas renewals. He did an urgent renewal online, sent his passport back to the UK with a relative, and they were able to pick his new passport up for him and bring it back to Thailand. 

Now he has his old, cancelled passport (corner cut off), which has his visa, extension and stamps in, and a brand new completely empty passport. He started getting the paperwork together to transfer stuff over, but he needs a transfer letter that he should have got from the British Embassy (I think? I'm not exactly sure who the letter was from). If he had renewed it properly, he would have got the letter automatically, but because of his shenanigans, he hasn't got one. 

Is this transfer letter essential? Will the British Embassy issue one given that he shouldn't have renewed like this in the first place? What options does he have to fix this? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Postmaster said:

You don't need the letter.  I got a leaflet from the UKPA with my new passport  entitled "YOUR NEW PASSPORT"

upon which you could keep a record of the new Passport number start and expiry dates.  I just showed that to the IMO he was quite happy and transfered all the stamps free.

which immigration office? 

Last month I contacted the British Embassy about the letter, as I have two passports and the second one is not new. They informed me I could pick one up at the Embassy door, or they could send me one.

I requested that I get one sent and received it six days later in Bangkok.

They were very helpful and efficient.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:21 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Not quite, it's not needed if you get the passport whilst in the UK as you'll use it on entry. If you get online via family or friends sent to Thailand or from agent\VFS you need the letter

Because no entry stamp? About 6 years ago I came in on a new British passport that was completely blank until my entry was stamped in. New because the old one was full. It had not expired. Showed the old cancelled one with my permission to stay and re entry permit to the border IO. No problem. I did this more than once before getting , at that time at the not so local IO at Sakon Nakhon, the permission to stay transferred to the new passport. Pretty sure I was applying for a fresh extension and the IO said the expiring extension ( but not previous ones) needed transferring first. This was done. I recall paying a fee for this but not the exact amount ( perhaps 500 baht) plus the fee for the fresh extension.

On a similar topic.

I got my new passport last week and they gave me the transfer letter.

How long does it take to transfer these details the new passport?

My Visa extension is not due until early January.  

Would it be better to get the transfer done in advance of my Visa extension or do it all on the same day?

2 hours ago, mrjohn said:

On a similar topic.

I got my new passport last week and they gave me the transfer letter.

How long does it take to transfer these details the new passport?

My Visa extension is not due until early January.  

Would it be better to get the transfer done in advance of my Visa extension or do it all on the same day?

I did mine in Jomtien, ( Chonburi office ), a couple of weeks ago and it was a case of come back to collect in the afternoon the following day. Personally I think it's good housekeeping to do it as soon as possible - emergency travel situation, 90 day report on new passport etc.

• Like 1